1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya saw that too. Strange because I don't see Coughlin allowing that, only thing I can think of is that it gave them a view of the entire field, almost like watching live film.

But Jax looks like an implosion waiting to happen. Bortles is terrible and the WRs aren't having it, bad combo for a team still in training camp.

3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Ok, I was wondering if that was normal like we did it too or something.. seemed weird to me. even non rookies I would imagine would be on the sideline..

That game was hard to watch.. I have a few jags fan friends, we are going to game one opening day. I had to stop talking crap at halftime when they couldnt punch it it.. just looked so bad.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Nah. I think he just snuck in.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

So the Patriots need D-linemen and have a lot of receivers.

The Texans need receivers and have a lot of D-linemen.

Covington for Malcolm Mitchell. Get 'er done Ricky.

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'd love to take Slater off of their hands... :D

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the potential for the safety group to completely neutralize our elite pass rush is depressing

nightmares of the Mexico Raider game where Carr would just chuck it deep and get a PI or busted coverage

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/21/p...-tomlin-physical-training-camp-nfl-peter-king

ONE J.J. WATT PREDICTION: ‘BETTER THAN HE WAS’ BEFORE INJURY
    WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W.V. — On Wednesday, in a joint practice session against the Patriots, Watt lined up at left defensive end, across from Patriots tackle Marcus Cannon, a rising 335-pound building block for the New England line. Tom Brady took the snap. Now, in most of these joint practices, there’s no blitzing, no motion, and little stunting—it’s just man-on-man. And with the Patriots and Texans set to play in Week 3, you won’t see either team trying out many tricks. For the defense, it’s basically bull-rush football.

On this play, Watt low-leveraged into Cannon and pushed him back a couple of straining steps with brute force. Cannon prevented Brady from taking a hit, but on this play and many others over two days, the Texans, and Watt, saw everything they needed to see against prime competition. Watt’s surgically repaired back held up and he is playing with no residual pain after disc surgery that kayoed his 2016 season. The man who won the NFL defensive player of the year award at 23, 25 and 26 before sitting his age-27 season feels like he can pick up where he left off at 28. As does his coach.

“I can tell you right now the guy’s going to be at the top of his game,” Bill O’Brien told me. “He’s had a great training camp. I think he’ll be better than he was.”

Whoa.

When I told Watt what O’Brien said, he seemed genuinely happy—not just in a cliché sense. “I appreciate that, I appreciate it very much,” Watt said. “Obviously coming from him, it means a ton because he has seen every practice. He’s been out here, he’s been watching the film, he’s seen the practices, he knows what’s been going on. I haven’t talked too much about it. Everybody always asks, ‘Hey, how are you going to be? What is this season going to be like for you?’ And I don’t talk too much about it because the thing I have been focused most on this year is letting my play do the talking in practice. It’s been fun, I’ll say that. I feel very good.”

Remember that Watt won his third defensive award in 2015 when he was totally healthy for maybe two weeks. It was September 2015 that a series of injuries—to his core, his groin and his back—began to accumulate through the season, and he and trainers had to scotch-tape the way through the season. It was still a 17.5-sack year, though it was often agonizing. He paid for that year with back surgery last fall, and the lost 2016.

“I feel like I am playing football the way I am supposed to play football and I feel like I am the player I am supposed to be,” he said. “In the offseason, I transferred the tire-flipping and the 700-pound back squats into different exercises. Now I’m doing 14 different core exercises. It’s not any less time or less effort. It’s just different.”

“Do you honestly think you can be better than you were?” I asked.

“I don’t know the answer to that,” he said. “I’m sure the doctors don’t know the answer. That’s the goal. But all I know is I can be as smart as I can possibly be, and that’s with practice reps, that’s with workouts, that’s with doing everything I can to make sure that for those 16 games-plus a year, I am ready to roll. I feel great and as long as we stick to the plan that we’ve got—a day off here and there, some practice reps off here and there—I think we are going to be in good shape.”

The Texans were first in the league in defense last year, and, obviously, they’re going to be scarier with Watt. As of now, when they line up in the 3-4 under new coordinator Mike Vrabel, it looks like, from left to right on the line, Watt and second-year nose man D.J. Reader and Christian Covington will form the front, with Whitney Mercilus behind Watt, Brian Cushing and Bernardrick McKinney on the inside and Jadeveon Clowney at the right outside linebacker. If healthy, it’s the best front seven in football, and only Seattle is close.

I think, if I’m watching the Seahawks closely, I watch GM John Schneider at least inquire about some established veterans. Schneider’s unafraid of making any deal at any time, which is why I’d be at least cognizant of the following situations:

• Donald Penn (Oakland). He’s holding out and is vital to the Raiders’ 2017 success. But I put him here because Schneider and Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie are close and have dealt before (Marshawn Lynch), and if Oakland isn’t going to budge on Penn’s $7.2-million cap number this year and Penn stays solid, maybe it’s more than just a conversation. I doubt it, but we’ll see.

• Duane Brown (Houston). He’s got two years left at a total of $19.2 million, and Texans GM Rick Smith has made it clear he’s not re-doing the deal. Brown turns 32 in nine days. He’s played nine years. Lots of wear on the tires. But I include this because the Texans have already dealt both their first-round and second-round picks next year, and Schneider, to solve this problem, knows he’d have to talk a high pick or picks.

• Joe Thomas (Cleveland). I doubt this because the Browns love Thomas and have said internally they won’t deal him. But whenever anyone needs a tackle, Thomas’ name gets tossed out there. If I’m Seattle, and I get assurances that Thomas wants to play three more years, I’d trade my 2018 first-round pick for him. Cleveland shouldn’t, but might have to think about it. My rejoinder to Cleveland would be: You’ve got nine picks in the first four rounds next year, more than any team in the league. Don’t give up the best player on your team for a 10th.

• Cyrus Kouandijo (Detroit). Stopgap guy after failing in Buffalo. He’s a backup in Detroit now, and he wouldn’t be a long-term solution for Seattle. But a low pick for Kouandijo might be better than Odhiambo or moving Joeckel.

Houston defensive end J.J. Watt and his brother, rookie Pittsburgh linebacker T.J. Watt, have never opposed each other in an organized athletic event, in any sport. Pittsburgh plays at Houston on Christmas evening.

Not a bad scheduling job, Howard Katz—and the schedule came out a week before the draft placed T.J. in Pittsburgh.

Looks like Tom Savage has two legs up on Deshaun Watson (three of 10 against the Patriots on Saturday night) for the Houston QB job.

I think in the 34 years I’ve been covering the NFL, I’ve never seen such sportsmanship and passionate good-will practices between two teams at joint practices as I saw Tuesday and Wednesday when the Patriots traveled to West Virginia to work against the Texans. Every coach in the NFL should study what the Patriots and Texas did.

First, the sportsmanship was off the charts: Several Texans, most notably Whitney Mercilus, held up from making contact with the Patriot quarterbacks, and Mercilus two or three times patted Tom Brady on the back on his way back to the Houston huddle. Most players on the two teams lined up to shake hands and embrace or bro-hug after the second day of workouts in West Virginia. Bill O’Brien and Bill Belichick made it clear there would be no fighting; O’Brien said if anyone did, he would immediately have been ejected from practice. O’Brien’s respect for his former mentor, Belichick, was such that he picked music (Bon Jovi’s “It’s My Life,” Springsteen’s “Born to Run”) he knew Belichick would like to hear. The practices were profitable, intense, and precisely what teams should aim for when joint practices are scheduled. I thought it was a great example of how teams can compete hard against each other during the regular season and playoffs and come together for work that benefits both in August.

“These last two days were all about the name of improvement for both teams and I think everybody understood that,’’ J.J. Watt told me. “You don't get better when you go fight. You get better when you put good film on so you can learn from it and grow from it. These days were very, very good work in a very professional manner by two teams with a ton of respect for each other.”

I think it’s amazing how often the Pats and Texans have seen each other—particularly for teams not in the same division:

• Sept. 22, 2016: at Foxboro (regular season), New England 27, Houston 0.

• Jan 14, 2017: at Foxboro (postseason), New England 34, Houston 16.

• Aug. 15-16, 2017: at White Sulphur Springs, W.Va.: New England-Houston practices.

• Aug. 19, 2017: at Houston (preseason), Houston 27, New England 23.

• Sept. 24, 2017: at Foxboro (regular season).

In 53 weeks, that’s four games and two practices between two teams not in the same division. That’s amazing. And a fifth instance, with an asterisk: The Patriots won Super Bowl LI on Houston’s home field.

I realize I’m one of those in the media banging the drum for Tennessee taking a giant step this year. I think the Titans are going to be good, and could play deep into January, and the performance of the offensive first unit in limited play this summer hasn’t deterred me. But I will splash some cold water on my own story.

Since 2009:

• The Titans are 14-34 in AFC South games.

• The Titans have not swept a season series with Jacksonville, Houston or Indianapolis in any season.

• The Titans are 1-15 against the Colts.

• One more thing: Marcus Mariota has never beaten Houston or Indianapolis in four career starts.​

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can you picture her as a little old lady with that picture of JJ all wrinkled across her arm? LOL

11. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Sweet. The tattoo comes with free updates.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

houstonstime likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yep there you go. Typical eggball Texan fan

Fat (you can see belly and moobs popping), likely to be uneducated (trash) who lives vicariously through an over-rated, fake leader, loser JJ Fatt.

That pic says it all. Depicts the entire eggball Texan fanbase. Appreciate the tweet @J.R.

PS: Please don't tag me here. I do not intend to come to this delusional forum. Y'all can enjoy with bobbythefail and the rest of the low IQ. Eggball Texan forum and D&D, one and the same in terms of uneducated masses posting.

J.R., Snow Villiers and TheRealist137 like this.
  15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

So what you're basically saying is that Football fans are non-athletic fat slobs right?! :eek:

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

@FTW Rockets FTW (Sorry, just this one time) @TheRealist137 @Snow Villiers
    [​IMG]

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's basically saying that he's a stereotypical soccer fan douchebag and thus not worth your attention.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  19. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I'm going to need pics of your body and FTW's body as well for research

Snow Villiers and swyyyguy like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, "research", is that what they are calling it these days? You can get your "research" done here

Snow Villiers likes this.