1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It should have been Josh Doctson.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Doctson had 2 catches for 66 yards all season. Yeah..he would have made a difference......

RasaqBoi and Fullcourt like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's a weird case, at times his baby hands were absolutely a problem and he dropped multiple guaranteed TD passes on a team that desperately needed offense....so maybe we view him more negatively than we should. There were still times where he flashed some potential and even made some good catches with his hands so it's possible that he learns how to catch the ball consistently in the offseason.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Would have been a different situation here.

5. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Doubtful. He had achilles issues post-draft last year. I still like his talent though. But I have no idea if he'll turn into much.

Htownballer38 and Fullcourt like this.
  6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

WR is a very tough position for a rookie to play...Fuller was definitely frustrating at times, but I could definitely see the potential with him. I'm not even close to thinking he's a bust or that it was a silly pick.

7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

what player on offense can you say did anything? Lol

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well all things considered, CJ Fiedorowicz and Lamar Miller had decent seasons. Ryan Griffin was pretty good for what he is.

Htownballer38 and red5rocket like this.
  9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely true considering both TEs overachieved imo I didn't think either one was good going into the season

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, I'll take just under 1100 yards and 6 TD's from the TE spot (7 if you count Stephen Anderson and 8 if you include the playoffs) given the state of the passing game last season. I'm hoping that they can top that this season somehow.

red5rocket likes this.
  11. solid

solid Contributing Member

In regard to responses to my Fuller post let me clarify. It certainly wasn't all bad last season, but drafting a "receiver" number one who doesn't "receive" well is a problem in judgment. I like the kid; seems nice and hard working. Hopefully, you can coach or teach "receiving," I don't know for sure. When I played I typically caught the ball with my hands. I have big hands, and I have always had excellent hand to eye coordination. I never played at a high level where everything is so fast. Not sure how you "teach" players to drop less. Enlighten me.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Some players pick up the speed of the game fast while it might take others a few years or so. Fuller will be just fine now that he got the rookie jitters out of the way. Well I hope so.

: Fuller expects to see a large jump in his play during his second season in 2017, Aaron Wilson of The Houston Chronicle reports. Fuller had a decent season as a rookie in 2016, catching 47 passes for 635 yards and two touchdowns. Despite the numbers, he made several costly drops, including one on a surefire touchdown in the divisional playoffs against New England. He has game breaking speed, highlighted by the 4.28 second 40 yard dash he ran at the 2016 NFL combine. Now in his second year with the Texans and no longer dealing with nagging knee and hamstring injuries, Fuller and the team believe that he can become one of the top receivers in the NFL. Coupled with DeAndre Hopkins, Fuller is a tough cover for defenses and a jump in numbers should be expected this season.
    Provided by Rotowire.com.

solid and red5rocket like this.
  13. CallMeTheDream

Highly doubt the TEs repeat that inflated season. And if they do it's probably a bad sign, it means no one else on offense is producing. Hop will be heavily involved and back at peak form(he better be if he wants that contract), also Braxton Miller and Will Fuller need to be taking big strides as legitimate threats. And the Miller and Foreman combo will hopefully be as deadly as it looks. Would like to see the TEs improve and have a good season but I'm not for force feeding them the ball like last year because the QB can't get everyone involved. Their success needs to come naturally and within the flow of the offense.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think they were force feeding the TE's, it's just that the TE's were the only guys getting open and catching the ball. Given the talent at TE, I doubt they'd target them any less it's just that hopefully the other guys will do more with their targets this season than they did last season.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Thanks, excellent post.

T for 3 and Htownballer38 like this.
  16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Wrong person

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I prefer to look at it as the TE's improved tremendously last season. They continue to improve and our receiver corps produce on a level that we know they could, then we should see a dynamic offense. The concern for me will be the QB play. I do believe it will be better than that trash we seen last season.

18. thething

thething Contributing Member

I wanted Doctson as well at the time, but in hindsight it probably should have been Michael Thomas or Sterling Shepard.

19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe I'm in the one percentile but I don't think Savage is much better than Osweiler. Dude hasn't even thrown a touchdown pass in his NFL career yet. Yeah we've only really seen a sample size but from that sample I don't see how he makes the offense better than last year. Maybe the only reason is people are thinking who could be worse than Osweiler. Maybe! I think our offense is still in trouble.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

You're not in that camp alone. I'm not high on Savage either. I'm just hoping he's not Brock Osweiler bad.