1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Dolphins

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 22, 2009.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is a different criticism than I have had for the Texans...and most of the criticism I read here.

I fully expect them to beat the Seahawks and Rams. I expect them to blow the doors off those teams. They are far superior to them.

The criticism has been about failing consistently to win "the biggest game in franchise history" over and over again.

No one equated these last 2 games to the Colts, Titans or Jags games.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Well, guess what.

This week is the biggest game in franchise history.

So... yay!

Bonus: if they win and *insert AFC team losing here* then NEXT week becomes the biggest game in franchise history!

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly.

Rocket River

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The Texans are now ranked 12th in total defense and 7th in total offense.

Effing ridiculous that they're 7-7.

Conversely, the Titans and Jags are ranked 26th/11th and 20th/15th, respectively on D and O.

Effing incredible that they're 7-7.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Yep, very ridiculous. It all boils down to red zone efficiency, which boils down to coaching IMO. Moats/Brown fumbles at the goal line are the exceptions ... but two events that are hard to overlook are the Arizona game and running the ball up the middle 3 straight times at the goal line, and the Jacksonville blunder.

1 person likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It also boils down to the kicking game.

[​IMG]

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's right...that's why i said, i'd absolutely give them credit for stepping up and winning a big game if they beat the fins.

8. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

I heard mcnair and kubiak had a meeting today. someone privately video taped their meeting.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.xtranormal.com/site_media/players/jwplayer.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="flashvars"value="height=390&width=480&file=http://newvideos.xtranormal.com/standard/413c1888-efda-11de-9784-003048d69c21_17_standard_medium-flv.flv&image=http://newvideos.xtranormal.com/standard/413c1888-efda-11de-9784-003048d69c21_17_standard_poster.jpg&link=http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/5868071&searchbar=false&autostart=false"/><embed src="http://www.xtranormal.com/site_media/players/jwplayer.swf" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="height=390&width=480&file=http://newvideos.xtranormal.com/standard/413c1888-efda-11de-9784-003048d69c21_17_standard_medium-flv.flv&image=http://newvideos.xtranormal.com/standard/413c1888-efda-11de-9784-003048d69c21_17_standard_poster.jpg&link=http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/5868071&searchbar=false&autostart=false"></embed></object><object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.xtranormal.com/site_media/players/embedded-xnl-stats.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.xtranormal.com/site_media/players/embedded-xnl-stats.swf" width="1" height="1" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object>

9. msn

msn Member

It would logically follow that if a team actually *wins* its biggest game ever, that having entered into a previously-unattained level, the very next game *would* be bigger.

Hence: the Texans have a chance to win 8 BEFORE losing 8 for their first time ever. They have a chance to remain in the playoff mix beyond week 15. That's *huge* (for this hard-luck franchise). Biggest game ever. And if they win it--they could (but probably won't) have the playoffs on the line the next week. That would be "huger".

I want to see them win it. And, I agree with you that they should get all the credit if they do.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Its pretty common to see a team clinch either a playoff spot, or homefield, etc, one week and then the following week have nothing to play for.

And beyond that, "biggest" apparently means a lot of different things to a lot of different people... some people thought the MNF game vs. the Titans was the biggest game for this team ever. Why would they think that? Just their opinion, I guess. (an opinion which I could possibly agree with) If that were the case, would that make the next weeks game vs. the Colts even bigger had they won? I'm not sure.

So, I can't really say that I think it logically follows that one big game implies that another bigger one is to follow.

11. msn

msn Member

True that. But that is obviously not the case with these Texans.

I see where you're coming from. Those games were both much bigger than their last two, but it *is* subjective.

In this scenario it certainly does. If the Texans win this game, their next game may have two things on the line, both in the realm of "never-been-here":
    -- 9 wins (an actual winning NFL season in Houston)
    -- an unlikely back-door bid for a playoff birth, if everyone else happens to choke at the same time.

That's huge for this team. Huge.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

A win is a win. They barely lost to the Saints and Cardinals.

13. Major

Major Member

I would argue that the Titans & Jags games were bigger than the Dolphins game for a number of reasons. Those game would have given the Texans control of their own destiny for the playoffs (Titans) or given then a good chance for the playoffs (Jags). They would also have given them tiebreakers over those teams, which is turning out to a be a real problem even if they win out now. The Dolphins game, on the other hand, is necessary for the playoffs, but it only keeps them alive for a fairly outside shot if all sorts of other things happen.

I do agree that a win would arguably be the biggest *win* of the franchise history, but it's not the biggest game. Realistically, if they lose, their 5% chance of making the playoffs (according to that statistical analysis posted earlier) goes to 0%, so it's really not that catastrophic if they do lose.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess they the BIGGEST game. . . only if you win them *grin*

Rocket River

15. sammy

Technically, this is the biggest game. We lose and we're out. We win and everyone we need to lose actually loses and we're alive for one more week!

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

or this game could mean nothing by midnight on Friday. if the Titans beat the Chargers, kiss the Texans season goodbye. i don't see the Titans losing to the Seahawks next week.

17. sammy

Big If esp with Bullock/Thornton done for the season.

Wish Warner had played in their game or this game would be completely irrelevant.

18. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Eric winston on ESPN First Take coming up next

19. pocketrocket81

As much as I love the Texans they seem to always break my heart.Just like the Oilers use to do they win the games they aren't expected to win and lose the ones they are expected to win.If they go into Miami as the underdog then Texans will prevail.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I can't wait for Sunday.

It honestly feels like the playoffs are already here.