1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Browns

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It'll be amazing how much better the Oline will look with a QB that gets rid of the ball quickly and makes the proper reads.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Are we going back to that card? Sure there were times that Fitz held on to the ball too long, but there is no doubt that the O line was awful almost every game this season.

3. Mr. Clutch

There were times? Yes, there were times. Many, many times.

Remember when he turned a 2nd and goal at the 2 into a 3rd and 12? That was epic.

The Oline was great in the running game. Funny how such an incompetent bunch learns how to block when Fitzy doesn't have the ball.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

C'mon, you're better than this, you know good and well that run blocking is completely different from pass blocking. I get that Fitz is the scapegoat and we want to blame him for everything and pretend everything else is great but the O line let guys pressure the QB in less than 2 seconds WAY too many times. Pressure in less than 2 seconds is awful and it throws even the best QB's off their game. The O line simply has to be better when it comes to pass blocking or it'll lead to a ton of sacks. Fitz was mobile enough to bail the O line out time and time again, but Mallett isn't that kind of QB, he needs a clean pocket.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mallet is the kind of QB to make quick decisions (if the scouting reports are to believed), so I expect the OL to magically play better.

Unfortunately, he's tall, so he won't be able to blame his interceptions on bad luck from tips.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, I can't really argue with someone who believes (or rather is hoping) that things will just magically be better. Logic and magic aren't friends.

7. Mr. Clutch

You mean like expecting Fitz to be average?

The line won't play magically better. Mallet will just hopefully get the ball out quicker.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Get rid of the ball quicker or just throw it away. I really don't remember Fitz throwing it away once because he would always try to extend it with his legs. Sometimes it would work, sometimes he would take a sack.

This will all depend on Mallett's pocket presence though which is an unknown.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

One key outcome may be that with a stronger arm and a willingness to use it defenses will have to worry about the longer pass and defend accordingly. Hopefully we won't see defenses packed into a 15 yard band starting at the line of scrimmage.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Just because you run your opinions off what Vegas does _ doesn't mean the networks do. The Cleveland vs Houston game is more appealing than the Chicago vs Minnesota game. Cleveland is at the top of their division and I also forgot to mention that Houston has the #1 pick and people want to see him along with the other stars like J.J., Foster, and AJ. Market size is irrelevant.

And there's nothing to argue. I was just pointing out how your opinion on this matter is wrong.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not optimistic but here is to hope.

Browns should be due for a let down game and conversely the texans are due for a breakout one. I'm skeptical on Mallett but at least it will be something new to watch...even if it's a turd. Granted, we've been watching a turd the last few games already.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

On the contrary, Vegas lines represent very much what the public perception of teams are. Lines move based on where the public is putting their money. The networks do care about public interest in a game, along with who the public feels are quality teams and who they feel are pretenders.

If Cleveland, a "first" place team playing at home against a mediocre Texans team with a QB making his first ever NFL start, is only favored by 3... that means the public doesn't believe in them. Its not an opinion... its a fact.

The Texans as a whole aren't all that popular outside of Texas. That's also another fact. Dallas will not be showing the Texans game this weekend, as they opt for Denver vs. St. Louis. Even the ****ty Chicago Bears are more popular, not only within Chicago but outside of Chicago as well. The Vikings also have a pretty strong surrounding following.

Lastly, turns out that Catalon is now the E team, while Dedes is the F team... so there, we didn't get the "worst" team, and we're currently complaining that we didn't get the D team.

Check out the coverage maps... the Chicago vs. Minnesota game is going out to a much larger region (basically the entire mid-north) than the Houston-Cleveland game (which is actually getting a bigger region in Arkansas than they normally would, thanks to Mallett starting).

http://506sports.com

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I trust Vegas more than these so called experts on TV

We should feel very good that CLE is only -3 at home, with the Texans starting a QB who played like 3 games. They also predicted the Colts and Eagles game to be much closer than most expected and they were

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Browns -3 seems like easy money.

Can't believe that line hasn't ballooned up.

15. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It sure beats arguing with a negative nancy. Doom and gloom aren't friends either.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Ok guys. I want some opinions. Fantasy football this week.

Start Tannehill or Mallet?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If that's what you're down to I suggest you just give up on the season.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Or his QB is Romo. Also, Tannehill's had some really good scoring games in 4 of his last 6 starts, a decent score in one and a bad score against a great defense on the road in another.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Ha,

I also have Foster, Gio Bernard, Dez, Jordy N, Kelce, Deandre, and Josh Gordon for next week.

Romo(on Bye) has been good for me, as I always take QB's later rounds. It seems to work out well.

I might roll with Mallet as 6 teams make the playoffs and I am going to roll in easily.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Go with Tannehill.