1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training Game Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/the-single-best-sign-out-of-astros-camp/

More at link, but here's an excerpt...

Morton’s sinker is a proven ground-ball pitch. With more speed, it would also become a less hittable pitch. He trusts his splitter, and as far as his curveball goes, last year’s closest pitch comp was Stephen Strasburg‘s curveball. Morton’s curve ranked 10th in average spin rate, out of 507. He’s there ahead of names like Jeremy Hellickson and Lance McCullers. The Astros also intend to have Morton keep using that cutter to keep lefties honest.

It doesn’t mean anything’s a lock. It certainly doesn’t mean Morton will stay healthy enough to make 20 or 25 starts. But the Astros took a chance, and based on how Morton is throwing, he resembles a legitimate power pitcher with ground-ball and putaway stuff. The Doug Fister flier didn’t pan out. This one could make a good rotation great.

2. Buck Turgidson

The Astros also intend to have Morton keep using that cutter to keep lefties honest.

It doesn’t mean anything’s a lock. It certainly doesn’t mean Morton will stay healthy enough to make 20 or 25 starts. But the Astros took a chance, and based on how Morton is throwing, he resembles a legitimate power pitcher with ground-ball and putaway stuff. The Doug Fister flier didn’t pan out. This one could make a good rotation great.

Wow..This is shocking news.

3. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Could this be Lunhow being Lunhow, and getting a steal? I sure as hell hope so.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hasn't health always been the main issue with Morton?

Unfortunately, that's the one area that analytics hasn't fully conquered... pitchers who break down often.

5. the shark

the shark Member

'11 Had hip surgery on Oct 11th to repair a torn labrum. Was expected to be out 4-6 months, however started the '12 season on the DL (season debut on April 14th, 2012).

'12 Had Tommy John surgery on June 14th, 2012

'14 Aug 17th placed on DL with right hip inflammation. Later in Sept Morton needed hip surgery.

'15 During spring training he began to experience inflammation in his recently surgically repaired hip. Was placed on DL and made his first start on Memorial Day.

'16 Apr 23, 2016 suffered a hamstring injury running to first base. On April 27th the Phillies announced that Morton would miss the rest of the season with a torn hamstring.

Wouldn't count on this guy to give you a full season as it's just a matter of time before he has another injury.

6. Progs

Progs Member

All you need for him ius to be healthy until the trade deadline when the Astros acquired a SP for the stretch run & playoffs

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I was reading an article on the At Bat app yesterday that referred to Morton as a low-upside veteran (it was a fantasy baseball article). I see him as a high-upside veteran just with extreme health risk and some performance risk.

I personally love his signing. He has the potential to give us what McHugh did those first 2 years, though you have to assume he won't match the innings pitched.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He got hurt last year running to first; that's a fluke injury and, fortunately, it'll be much less of an issue in the AL.

So the big concern with him, it seems, is the hip as he's had multiple surgeries and setbacks. If it's FINALLY healed (and he hasn't had any issues for two years), he could be OK and, frankly, his missing last year may have given the hip even longer to heal and strengthen.

There's reason to be optimistic.

PS I'm no doctor and no nothing about health and medicine.

raining threes likes this.
  9. the shark

the shark Member

If he can stay healthy I like his stuff.

10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Hm, interesting. I remember Fister providing way more than any of us expected going into the year. If they mean pan out by having his best season as a Pro then no I guess it didn't pan out. I would say it was an excellent signing and he gave us good value last year and was at least average. Obviously if Morton can give us more and stay healthy it will be great but I won't be disappointed in Morton if he does what Fister did for most of last season.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Half the season, he was lucky and ran a low ERA. Half the season, he was lucky and ran an insanely high ERA over 6. Morton could be like the first half except not needing luck outside of staying healthy.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

congrats on your twitter win :)

you know who your opponent was, right?

13. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Had a great first half, was our best starting pitcher. Unfortunately, he had a horrible 6 weeks after the all star game. But it was a good signing overall. We failed last year ("failed" as compared to expectations of making a deep run into the playoffs) due to the years McCullers, Keuchel and Gomez had more than anything else.

14. Hey Now!

I do; I told him the only rational play was to recuse himself.

MadMax likes this.
  15. MadMax

That's hilarious. He wasn't sure if you knew it was him.

16. Hey Now!

I didn't initially; he told me though.

MadMax likes this.
  17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Normally I'd have voted for J, but HN should be declared the overall winner already.

MadMax likes this.
  18. MadMax

Even J agrees with that!

Rocketman95 likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Sweet Black Baby Jesus I hope a few of you know what the hell you're talking about. It ain't baseball.

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member