1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official speculation] Who will win the 2010 Free Agency

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Honey Bear, Feb 19, 2010.

?

Who wins?

1. New York

29.3%
  2. Chicago

25.0%
  3. Miami

17.2%
  4. Washington / LA Clippers / New Jersey

1.7%
  5. Other

26.7%
  1. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Out of the 6 teams with maximum cap space? Not relative to their own expectations - 1 out of the 6 has to come away as a winner.

Tier 1: New York, Miami, Chicago

Tier 2: New Jersey, LA Clippers, Washington

Top FA's: LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire (needs to opt out), David Lee, Carlos Boozer

Secondary FA's: Ray Allen, Manu Ginobili, Rip Hamilton, Tracy McGrady, Mike Miller, Josh Howard

The tier 1 teams will be hoping to get one/two of the big FA's, or possibly some complementary pieces in pairs. The tier 2 teams... will be hoping for anything.

-----

Personally, I can't wait for the fireworks to go down.

I think LeBron stays with Cleveland.

New York snags one of each - Wade/Johnson + Amare/Lee. Anything less than LeBron will be a disappointment for New York but they just don't have decent enough players to assemble around him - and D'Antoni still doesn't seem care about defense. Things would be very different in NYC if they had drafted Brandon Jennings. They'll also have to recruit FA's in pairs, because it's hard to see Wade leaving Miami/Chicago for them if he's going to land in another situation where he has no help etc.

Bosh or Wade signs with Chicago to play alongside Derrick Rose

Boozer goes to Washington despite the Jazz trying to work a sign-and-trade with any team willing to offer young talent.

2. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Also, which teams would be viable candidates to acquire a big FA through a sign and trade? Is that even worth speculating...

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

really, what does "official" speculation mean?

and I think Chicago will win by snagging someone good and actually being a relevant team

4. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure Rip is under contract through 2013.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

The Knicks will have a VERY rude awakening when they are stuck having to overpay Rudy Gay and resigning David Lee...decent team but those picks would look ever NICER.

Bulls are my favorite to get Wade and another VERY nice player maybe Boozer. Chi-Town comes back to greatness in the East next year.

The Rockets will be a longshot/darkhorse with all the freaking assets Morey has gathered.

6. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I don't see any of the top tier guys walking away from $30 million. Even if they did, there are other teams that seem more desirable for them. After the top tier, the rest of the players either don't make sense for New York or just aren't THAT good.

IMO its Joe Johnson and Carlos Boozer or bust.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The Knicks biggest problem is they lack assets to do a sign and trade. Yes they can straight up offer a FA max dollars, but FAs get an extra year, and approximately $30 million more from their own clubs. I think LeBron stays in Cleveland. Wade is going to stay in Miami or go to Chicago. Bosh/Johnson/Boozer/Amare are going to be who NY gets. I think they get one of them, and then sign Rudy Gay to a max offer sheet, or possibly resign David Lee if they get Johnson.

8. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think NY will win the battle. Since they have paid a very high price to clear the salary space, they will try their best to acquire FAs for sure.

And, I don't sign&trade is very important. If a player (e.g., James, Bosh, Stoudemire) is very young, They don't need to sign the longest contract. This is not the last contract that they will sign. And they want to see whether the team will be competitive and won't let themselves in a bad team for a very long time.

9. C-Mo

C-Mo Member

I think Chicago has a good chance of landing D.Wade in FA but I think NY can make out okay. What if NY signs Amare and Raymond Felton and then picks up someome like a Rip Hamilton or Tayshaun Prince type player in a salary dump trade? Not saying that they would become title contenders but that would put them in the neighborhood or a 4 or 5 seed in the East. And they could just build from there.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I have to go with Chicago.

They has a Stud PG in rose

A growing Defensive big in Noah

A potential lethal SF in Deng.

11. sbyang

sbyang Member

Lebron James will win. He's the one controlling everything and all these teams and the other FA are just pawns in his game.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Bosh is a FA?? I know he might be - but you gave Stoud a "needs to opt out", should give Bosh one too?

Wade will stay, Miami will get Stoudemire - that will be the only big move imo.

13. remogunz

remogunz Member

I only see Bosh and Amare and everybody else staying put

14. AggieRocketsFan

Ginobili to Houston! ;)

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My money is on Miami, followed by NY.

Miami- Wade & LBJ.

NY- Two others.

Chicago- Whoever is left over.

Laying it all out like that, it sure seems that the East will definitely be much better next year.

Dark Horse: Clippers, citing the LA factor.

16. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Wade has to be giving a serious look at Chicago. Add him to the talent they already have and you have a legit title contender. Lebron stays, they'll be periennial contenders as long as he's there its his hometown and I think he can take pride in bringing the first champioship to Cleveland. Even if he really wants to do a "prestige move" I can see him choosing NJ over NY, but I say there is about a 5% chance of that happening.

I don't even really see Joe Johnson moving. ATL has built their team around him and they have the best collection of young talent in the NBA. So not only would he be taking a pay cut, but then taking a 15% percent reduction in salary to pay state taxes in NY for what? Endorsement dollars? Johnson is a great player, but he does not have the personality to become the face of Nike or Gatorade. Stoudamire has already said he'll opt in becasue no one is going to give him more than the 18 mil he's making next season, he'll be moved at the trade deadline next winter.

Bosh will be moved in a sign and trade. Toronto can't let him walk for nothing. Boozer will go to the highest bidder.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Priorities for these guys:

1. Money
    2. Location

Now, location isn't what you'd think. Who the hell really wants to live in Cleveland, even if family is 'near' when you have access to your own jet?

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

New York: They've got too much money on the table to not put a decent team together.

Miami: Will probably land Stoudemire or Bosh, if New York doesn't. Amar'e might end up Miami, anyway.

Chicago: Will get a nice SG or wing player from this summer.

Darkhorses: Boston, Detroit, Washington

19. josh123

josh123 Member

Lets see...if you were to be offered a job making the same amount of money in these three cities...
    Miami
    NY
    Clev
    Chi
    where would you go?

Mia - Warm weather...beaches....women...clubs..
    NY - cold..big city...ridiculous media coverage (especially if youre bad)
    Clev - cold...crappy..
    Chi - cold...constant comparison to MJ legacy (maybe a good thing, maybe not)

HMMMMMMM

IM IN MIAMI TRICK!

I think itll be a race to Miami to pair with Wade

20. josh123

josh123 Member

I meant 4...
    and yes..there are only women in miami :p