1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[official Rocket Hero] Kenny Smith Appreciation Thread/Education

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Saw thread title and immediately knew who started it. We all love Kenny. It was watching him fall into "the slump" and never return. In the end he failed to make his teammates better and spawned Matt Maloney-Eldridge Recasner-and Emmanuel Davis. Sorry had to knock em. I am the anti-slurp fest.

2. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

I was joking. I think you're obsessed and it's creepy.

3. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

..........What?

1. Steve Francis - Legit argument. Nothing I disagree with here.

2. Rafer Alston - Streetball or street? Look, there were, in fact 2 million threads last year about Rafer Alston. HOWEVER, they were about why can't Rafer hit a shot from anywhere on the court. See, two completely separate problems. Therefore, making it NOT VALID.

3. Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming co-existing - If you as a diehard, longtime Rocket fan believe that there is a problem with them co-existing, chemistry or points wise, then I don't know what to say to you. I expect to hear that from people that don't watch the NBA much. Not from someone who I think is a longtime Rocket fan.

4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

LOL. He can't even tell when he's being patronized.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Obviously not. i purposely put the great Kenny Games on here, and people still hate.

This proves:
    1. they NEVER were Rocket fans when Kenny started his tenure with the Rockets.
    2. they ONLY know Kenny via TNT.
    3. they DO NOT APPRECIATE Kenny's playoff/regular season contributions.
    4. Jealousy.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

This is why I put stuff in BOLD LETTERS, its about scoring distribution.
    how many countless posts have you seen about who's going to take the last shot?

case in point, the Utah series. If Tmac is cold, does he defer to Yao or keep shooting?

COEXIST=SCORING

7. IC2000

You better be quiet, lacking all those credentials.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    Date: MON 12/27/1993

Rockets, Smith get back on track

By EDDIE SEFKO
    Staff

INGLEWOOD, Calif. -- Who would have thought the Los Angeles Lakers would ever represent the rose between two thorns?

The Rockets, looking fresh as a daisy and confident as ever despite two consecutive losses for the first time this season, took advantage of this petal-soft spot in the schedule by plucking a 118-93 victory from the Lakers on Sunday night at the Forum, which in no way resembles the lively joint it was in the Lakers' glory days.

Kenny Smith poured in a career-high 41 points on 16-of-24 shooting as the Rockets took charge in the second quarter and ran out to a 71-50 lead in the third quarter. They completely took the Lakers out of the game and stopped the two-game skid that included Saturday's 111-91 loss at Phoenix.

Considering the Rockets head to Seattle next for Tuesday's matchup with the Pacific Division-leading SuperSonics, Sunday's game was nothing short of a must-win situation. There's no disgrace in losing to the Suns or Sonics these days. But the Lakers? They don't have a 9-18 record for no reason.

The Rockets were ushered to the winner's circle by Smith, who added six assists, four rebounds, three steals and only one turnover in 43 minutes.

Perhaps even more impressive is that he even called his shot to teammate Vernon Maxwell.

"I haven't been playing my game," said Smith, who on Sunday raised his scoring average from 9.1 points per game to 10.6. "I was playing too conservatively. I told Vernon after we lost to Phoenix that that was the last game you'd see me play like that. If I'm going to go down, I'm going to go down playing my game.

"And I felt more aggressive from the start in this game."

It was noticeable to Maxwell, too.
    [​IMG]
    "He has to perform for us to be as good as we want to be," Maxwell said. "He told me he was going to be more aggressive, and I kept telling him all through the game that he had to be more aggressive. He made his first few shots, and they were tough shots. Then, I just kept telling him to be more aggressive.

"He has to play with aggressiveness or he's a mediocre player. He can't help this team unless he goes at it like he did tonight."

Because of Smith's performance, the Rockets improved to 23-3 and made sure the losing streak didn't have a chance to grow.

"That losing stuff is no fun," said coach Rudy Tomjanovich. "Kenny was just phenomenal, and we really needed it."

The Rockets had assured themselves and anyone who would listen that two consecutive losses were nothing to get worked up about. They definitely were the not-yet-ready-to-panic Rockets.

Even when the first quarter produced a good showing by the Lakers, the Rockets stuck to their guns and their game plan.

By halftime, they had pulled ahead 55-44, gaining all of that cushion in the second period. They were in need of a soft touch on whom they could vent the frustrations of back-to-back losses to Denver and Phoenix. The Lakers were perfectly suited to fill that role.

Smith had 11 of his points in the first quarter, and he, Maxwell and Carl Herrera combined for 19 of the Rockets' 31 second-quarter points. Tied at 24 as the second period opened, the Rockets never trailed after Smith started the quarter with a 3-pointer.

Smith had been struggling for several games, but he was on fire from all angles and ranges Sunday. He hit eight of 11 shots in the first half, including two from 3-point range. But the two most impressive points came on a rare offensive rebound.

Hakeem Olajuwon hit a free throw but missed the second with 2:43 left in the half. Smith slipped in and tipped in the miss. Smith had five offensive rebounds all season before the tip-in.

That basket put the Rockets up 47-41, and after Elden Campbell committed a turnover, Maxwell canned a 3-pointer for a nine-point advantage.

By the end of the half, the Rockets had outscored the Lakers 11-3 down the stretch.

Herrera, who has been nagged by a sore right knee, gave the Rockets a valiant performance off the bench. He hit all three of his shots and had seven points to go with a pair of rebounds in the first half.

The Rockets figured they had the Lakers back on their heels, and the early moments of the third quarter proved it.

Otis Thorpe scored two quick baskets, and when Smith broke into the clear for a breakaway layup, the Rockets were up 61-44 with only 1:33 gone in the quarter.

The Lakers got within 63-50, but Olajuwon's layup with 6:38 left started the Rockets on an 8-0 run that included a dunk and two free throws by Thorpe.

Though Los Angeles closed within 80-66 going into the fourth quarter, the Rockets never were seriously threatened. Smith and Olajuwon made sure of that. When the Lakers crept within 82-71, Olajuwon broke through a crease in the lane for a short jump hook. Vlade Divac scored for the Lakers, but Smith uncorked a 16-footer.

When Campbell's slam made it 86-75, Smith responded by cutting to the basket for a layup, putting him over the 30-point barrier.

After that, it wasn't a question of whether the Rockets would win, but by how much. They moved out 95-77 with 6:25 to play, and Smith then scored on a layup and was fouled. His three-point play put the Rockets up by 21 points.

9. IC2000

So I'm not a Rockets fan because I was 6 years old when all of this was happening? I lack credentials?

How weird is it that you are probably 35 years old and still have an unhealthy man crush on Kenny Smith?

10. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I'm sure with enough hard work and determination, I'll eventually earn them someday.

11. dragonz

dragonz Member

he can rip off the current rockets team all day long and we will still be thankful to his contribution for the championship.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

did you appreciate Kenny's contributions or not?
    if you didn't then you hate him.
    its quite clear.

I'm defending the legacy of the Rockets. people keep kicking people like Calvin and Kenny etc.

Whenever you get older, and people start dissing Yao even though he helped the Rockets win their 3rd championship, you'll know the feeling.

its so obvious that the people who HATE KENNY spill their hate to his Rockets contributions. that's where I draw the line. So i'm dropping Kenny's Rocket Contributions here.

this is like when Ice Cube dropped Amerikkka's Most wanted.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Kenny always mentions the Championship days on TNT.
    Plus he also has guests like Cassell and Mario Elie and CHUCKY BROWN on his radio show on Sirius.

This guy is loyal.

14. IC2000

That's fine and dandy. To take it so personally is a bit odd. I do like the jet, and remember the '94-'96 days, but to defend his analysis on such a personal level? It's weird, dude. Who cares about what anyone says about what he does now? Everyone knows he was a baller in the day. Everyone also knows you are a really creepy old man who is way too obsessed with Kenny Smith.

15. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Lol, questioning my ability to read bold lettering?

Since when has that been a problem with McGrady and Yao. Seriously, when? Has Yao EVER expressed discontent with McGrady shooting? The answer is emphatically: No.

It doesn't matter how many posts were made on this board about it. If McGrady and Yao don't have a problem with each other's scoring, how is it a problem?

16. tinman

Supporting Member

go back and read some threads about Kenny. they diss his Rockets play, thinking Kenny only played 2 years with the Rockets and that Kenny played against Derek Harper every other game.

why do you keep reading and posting on my threads if you hate them?

17. IC2000

I am in disbelief that someone can be this obsessed with someone enough to get this worked up. I continue reading this thread out of pure curiosity. I want to see how psychotic it can get.

Kenny Smith played more than two years? Really?

18. tinman

Supporting Member

there's OBVIOUSLY a problem cause we haven't passed the 1st round in some time. Its a problem when in CRUNCH TIME, no is making any points.

Yeah, its a problem when 2 all stars on one team can't beat Utah up 2-0.

Yao and McGrady do have a problem of each of them not scoring enough points.

"ITS ON ME".. No its on "US".

19. snc

snc Member

tinman.....

you're a trip dude

:eek:

take a xanax or seven

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    Date: TUE 10/30/1990

Rockets hope Smith becomes great deal

By EDDIE SEFKO
    Staff

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The 1987 NBA draft shook out as a glorified version of "Let's Make A Deal."

Behind Door No. 6, the Sacramento Kings found a nice little prize in Kenny Smith.

It was like winning a washer and dryer, which didn't sound so bad until the Cleveland Cavaliers unveiled Door No. 7: Kevin Johnson.

There might as well have been a free Hawaiian vacation and a few zillion dollars in spending cash behind that seventh pick in the '87 draft.

It made that family that took Smith with the sixth pick just a little envious. And it also may be the reason Smith is with the Houston Rockets now.

The beginning of a bittersweet experience for Smith in Sacramento has ended with the Rockets being thrilled to have this functional point guard on their side.

Tonight, during the Rockets' final dress rehearsal at the Hall of Fame Game against Detroit, Smith will get a solid test against the most vaunted backcourt in the NBA in the Pistons' Joe Dumars and Isiah Thomas. Friday, the real season begins in Portland.

This, Smith hopes, is the start of his new NBA life.

"I think this team has a lot to be excited about," he said. "And I can't tell you what a luxury it is to be here."

One has a finer appreciation for the middle class of the league when he has been hanging out in the slums for two years.

A highly regarded point guard from North Carolina, Smith went from Tar Heel to Raw Deal faster than the Cleveland Cavaliers could say KJ.

It was Smith's lot to be forever judged against the point guard taken directly below him in that '87 draft.

In Sacramento, where the stable of talent might as well have included Mr. Ed, his flaws became more evident. Those shortcomings became a hotter topic of conversation when KJ got traded from Cleveland to Phoenix and began running circles around the league as one of its pre-eminent point guards.

Every mistake by Smith was amplified. Every 15-assist night by KJ was like a knife in the back of every Kings fan.

Never mind that it's a lot easier for a point guard to look good when he's running a pick-and-roll with Tom Chambers than when he's running it with Greg Kite.

"The talent base is different here, no doubt about it," Smith said. "We had talented players in Sacramento, but they were playing out of position. We had 6-foot-5 guys playing power forward.

"Here in Houston, everybody is talented, and everybody plays his natural position. It's a luxury for a point guard."

Rest assured the feeling is mutual from top to bottom in the Rockets organization.

"The biggest surprise with this team is how much better Kenny Smith is than people had told us he was," said Rockets general manager Steve Patterson, who orchestrated the deal to get Smith from the Atlanta Hawks, who gave up on him three months after they got him from Sacramento.

"The fact that he's a much better passer than we were led to believe is really surprising," Patterson said.

Coach Don Chaney is in total agreement.

"I'm surprised at Kenny Smith's ability to pass the basketball," Chaney said. "In my mind, he's an unbelievable passer, and that's something this team has needed.

"Passing and outside shooting were the two biggest problems with this team last season. Getting Kenny has helped us become a better passing team."

It's obvious even in scrimmages during practice. The interior passing game has picked up markedly this season, mostly because Smith is delivering the ball to the proper people at the proper places.

On fast breaks, the baskets seem easier and the passes don't appear forced. It's something Smith admits he wasn't necessarily expecting when he came to the Rockets.

"From my point of view, this is the most unselfish team I've ever been on," Smith said. "I had heard exactly the opposite around the league before I got here, but it's not a selfish team."

Not now, anyway. When stacked up against Atlanta, where Smith spent two months at the end of last season, the Rockets seem almost pass-happy. And Sacramento was no place for a point guard to shine.

Smith added he is happy with the number of people the Rockets have who can pull off plays that his former teammates in Sacramento and Atlanta could not.

"From myself, all the way to Akeem (Olajuwon), we've got finishers on this team," he said. "We've got guys who know how to make a play. A lot of times, the reason you have over-passing or under-passing is you've got guys who don't have confidence in their ability to finish a play. But everybody on this team knows how to."

Which is why Smith is so fired up about being with the Rockets. This could be his moment to be in the right place at the right time.

"This league is all about timing," he said. "In every aspect, whether it's financial or how you fit in with other personnel, it's all about timing.

"And now is the time for me. I hope everybody around me appreciates what I can do, because I really appreciate the talent that is around me."

Having done his time in Sacramento, a situation that makes the Rockets look like a dynasty, Smith counts his blessings every minute of every practice and game.

It's not Phoenix, but it's all relative.

Before this season is done, the Rockets just hope that washer and dryer they inherited has cleaned up on the rest of the league.