1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rangers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 1, 2017.

1. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

MVP numbers so far:

Only 64 at bats, 9 HRs, 21 RBIs, Slugging Pct. 719, On-Base Percentage 1.087

Remember Bregman was batting 1-3 from last season and to this season before he became just a hits hitter which dropped him to bottom 1/3. So moving players to different slot is not abnormal for Hinch, but when you have a hitter that is in a zone. You have to capitalize on it, he could become a player.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I know it's the influence of rotisserie baseball - but it still baffles me how many fans think winning baseball requires a constant overreaction to tweaking something.

Anyone given any thought to the idea that maybe, just maybe, Marwin is thriving because of where they have him batting and that maybe we shouldn't fix something that's not broken?

Yaosthirdleg, Major and kaleidosky like this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I am not arguing Marwin's value to the team, but again, you are taking a historic 5 game stretch (historic because he became the first player since at least 1901 to homer in 4 consecutive starts at 4 different positions) to create an MVP case. It could be argued that from 04/01 - 04/25 he was LVP.

.143/.280/.357/.637

So, he has been incredibly valuable for the past 5 games, but they have played 29.

4. bobrek

One of us arguing this point has given plenty of thought to that.

Major likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Challenge accepted.
    - Carlos Beltran

6. bobrek

I had that nice qualifier "it could be argued"... :)

7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Contract year = Marwin breakout year.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I would say the vast majority of posts, whether positive or cynical are motivated by passion.

Go Stros!

the shark likes this.
  9. bobrek

Clutchfans Astros Forum - We Make Things Happen!

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Hey Now!

Right now, Keuchel is the MVP - and it's not really close, frankly.

texans1095 and craigharmann like this.
  12. the shark

the shark Member

As for you Mr Hey Now, I wanted to address you individually. I go back to '68 as a six yr old kid following the Astros. My dad is responsible for my love for baseball and the Astros. He took me to so many games over the yrs. My favorite players have been Morgan, Cesar Cedeno, and then Baggy. I've been to Cooperstown, and I told my dad yrs ago that I would hold off going again until Baggy was inducted in the HOF and that I wanted to take him with me. Wanted to do that as well as take him to the Masters in Augusta.

After last years vote with Baggy it looked like he might get in this yr, and we started throwing around some ideas for the trip. Then he got sick last yr, spent the entire summer in the hospital, and passed away in October. I know there were a few people that were out there going to bat for Baggy with the voters, but I have to say I didn't see anyone that was doing it to the degree that you were. It was a well thought out marketing plan that laid everything out there that every voter needed to take the time to see and after doing so there was no way that they could NOT vote him in. In fact as we all know he should have been voted in on the first yr of eligibility (like F. Thomas was).

It's going to be a bitter sweet day this summer watching Baggy inducted. I'm sure many a tear will be shed as well. On behalf of every Astros fan and more importantly Baggy fans thank you for all the time and effort you put into that campaign. My dad would have been smiling so freakin big, and I know he will be up in Heaven on induction day with a HUGE grin on his face.

I'd also like to say so sorry to hear that you lost your dad as well a couple of yrs ago. It's a tough thing losing a parent as we both know. Hope you and your family are doing ok!! I'd give anything to be able to turn back time and just spend one more day with him. A little piece of advice to anyone who's parents are getting up there in age.....spend as much time with them as you can!!!! Don't put it off!! Trust me on this!!

Thanks as well for for your kind words about my mom. This is the second time she's had cancer. She had Lymphoma back in '98, and by the grace of god she got through it when the odds weren't in her favor. She has bladder cancer now and there's been complication after complication. She's one hell of a fighter!!! To anyone who is fighting this cancer battle or has a loved one that is doing so I pray for strength, wisdom, and peace while fighting this. I've met some of the most incredible people at MD Anderson and some of the bravest as well.

Thanks again Hey Now and everyone else.

Go 'Stros!!!!

13. Hey Now!

That's more like it.......

Ding me if you can make it to Cooperstown; we can share an alcoholic beverage and talk about my best Bagwell tweets - or something. No, you're crying! Whatever.

14. the shark

the shark Member

Most definitely!!!

15. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

16. awc713

awc713 Member

Rangers are a joke. Their true colors are starting to show. Shocking what happens when you don't go 36-11 in 1-run games.

Sidenote: that "woo" article is embarrassing. I can't believe that was actually printed. Their tears are so salty!

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Sidenote to your sidenote: The author of that piece was born and raised in Houston and grew up and is an Astros fan.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There are plenty of diehard fans here who abhor the "woo!"

I agree, it's as bad as the wave... but both are quite tolerable when the team is winning.