1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[OFFICIAL POLL] Top 2017 James Harden Game 6 conspiracy theory explanations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, May 16, 2017.

?

What the hell happened to James Harden in Game 6 against the Spurs?

1. Harden had the flu or some other generic physical ailment

9.4%
  2. Harden had a concussion, as suggested by Bill Simmons and others

17.6%
  3. Harden was simply exhausted, fatigued, tired, overtaxed, etc.--he basically "ran out of gas"

30.8%
  4. He was on his period (ROXTXIA'S term!): meaning? some inexplicable emotional/physical thing

18.2%
  5. He wanted his teammates to step up and to quit relying on him, so he deliberately didn't shoot

10.1%
  6. He got misty-eyed and brain-rattled by memories of Khloe Boo-Tay

5.7%
  7. He just flat-out quit because he wanted to go "get his drank on"

24.5%
  8. He threw the game for money; see also, "Yard, The Longest"

11.3%
  9. Someone slipped something in his drink: Steven A's theory

5.0%
  10. Other (please explain your theory below)

9.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Okay, to consolidate all the different hypotheses in ONE place. And not trying to Harden-bash or anything else: we've had lots of speculation about fatigue, gambling, concussions, date rape drugs, etc. etc. etc. So here's the list in one place, simply vote for your leading theory/explanation (or explanations, plural). In the end we may NEVER know what happened; on the other hand, six months or twelve months from now we may learn of a locker room argument, injury, extortion threat, or whatever, and then you can gloat if you guessed right.

My thanks to @ROXTXIA for collating the list, and feel free to add other theories in the discussion below.

kjayp and Easy like this.
  2. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I like the "he choked" theory the best

3. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

The "He wanted his teammates to step up" option...this was my initial reaction during the game so it received my vote. In hindsight I'm not sure, but I guess any theory is plausible

4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I chose other.

Explanation: DEEZ KNUTZ

J Sizzle likes this.
  5. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Damn shame we have to try to figure out why our best player didn't show up in the biggest game of the year.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

For now, the way I am looking at it is this:

Harden, as the star of the team, tried to take things on himself and try to win game 5 in OT. He reverted to bad habits, outside of MDA's system. Sometimes when stressed, people revert to "old stand-bys/habits" and that's what I think he did here.

After the game I am sure Harden was hard on himself and recognized what he did, his approach, wasn't the smart play. So, in game 6, he made an effort to try to get everyone involved, and over-corrected by not being as aggressive himself due to game 5 OT.

The Spurs defense was playing great (huge credit to them), staying with shooters, standing tall in the lane and not fouling on reaches. And when Harden tried to start to get going, he just couldn't get in a rhythm. He got frustrated and it threw his game off. I also think fatigue was somewhat of an issue as he had to battle in the post defensively more than at any point in the season.

I think when the pressure ratcheted up, Harden didn't completely trust the system and at the same time couldn't find the right balance as "distributor" and "scorer." This is the first year "officially in the PG role" and I think he "over-thought" the situations and couldn't find the right balance and that coupled with fatigue caused the issues.

I think he'll learn from this.

#6 Deuce, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Other:

Moses Malone jr. caught him in a grand larceny scheme. Game 6 death by subpoena.

8. rawool

rawool Member

I believe he wanted someone on the team to catch fire early in the game, but it just never happened.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  9. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

How about "he was distracted about thinking who the hell moses Malone jr was and why that guy was going to try to sue him"

10. malakas

malakas Member

The alien theory as well should be further considered imo.

Zergling likes this.
  11. lionaire

lionaire Member

Game 5 OT had him shook. He prob watched film and noticed how he hogged the ball late in the game which led to TO's but when he fed his teammates good things happened (Bev and Ryno 3's). Came into G6 with the mentality that he should get his team involved. Those guys were laying down bricks so when he decided to take matters into his own hands, shots weren't going down and it was simply too late.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so i'll share a story from one of the courts i've been playing at the past 11yrs. there is a guy named martin, who was harden before harden was even a college junior. martin is a lefty who shoots just like harden, passes brilliantly just like harden, handles, cerebral court game, plays no D, always looks for contact when driving to the rim and then calls b**** fouls, drinks beer between games, is stocky with baby fat, and has a beard. all this since at least 2007. harden's rookie season we started referring to martin as harden. circa 2010-2012 martin was the best player on the court everyday -- even amongst euro pro players and D2 college players from the states. he made everyone else better and hit the clutch shots. but he would still disappear from time to time. by summer of 2013 he had let himself go and gotten fat, and started coming and just watching the games from the sidelines. it was a huge contrast from the previous year when he was dominating and ******** all over everyone. in the following years he would play one game, then disappear, then come back 2 days later and just shootaround on his own on the far court. everyone would joke that he must be on his period. that's why i've now voted for the 4th option in the above poll.

ElDobleK and daywalker02 like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

chose the closest quit option. not necessarily to go drink immediately because he does it prior days anyways and he'll do it after regardless, but because he flat out gave up and didn't put out any effort that showed he cared it was his last game of the year.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol he knows exactly who he is. no idea what you're trying to get at here

15. RESINator

RESINator Member

I don't buy a concussion. Dude went out to a club and got his drank on.

ilovehtownbb and napalm06 like this.
  16. Moleb

Moleb Member

Lol so far this polls results are all over the place.

17. RyanB

RyanB Member

I think it's a combination of:
    Getting pissed of game 5
    fearing the moment
    And some unknown physical and or emotional thing

18. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

cmon why uguys acting likei never told you? we saw his twin! u telling m u can tell the difference between the two? just put some fake muscle skin on the twin and you dunno who's who. that wasnt james harden we saw in game 6, THAT WAS HIS EVIL TWIN MADE IN THE CLONING LABS! he's not even a real human! and harden knew alla long! u saw his face, he was smiling and laughing.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There was also the theory that he had some sort of locker room tiff with someone.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not a bad Sci Fi scenario.