1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Patriots @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Best win of BoB's career with the Texans? I know it's not a playoff game, but I don't remember any of the playoff wins being against teams that were---until last night---thought of as one of the top 3-4 teams in the NFL.

Just a great win, and a very good job by the coaching staff.

deb4rockets likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

My fandom currently based on one thing.... They have a true, legit, superstar QB who has already mastered (or near mastered) the even more difficult task of reading NFL defenses at the line.

Watson's development into what he is now cannot be taken for granted. There were legit concerns about these abilities when he was coming out of Clemson, otherwise he would have been a sure-fire first pick overall (instead of the 3rd, LOL, QB taken in the draft).

Its probably mostly a testament to his acumen and his work ethic... along with some guidance/education from this coaching staff... he just now seems unphased by any aspect of this game. "Makes it look easy" is an understatement... but when you've seen as much incompetence from the QB position that this franchise has seen, he really is as close to a god-send as any franchise could have had.

The fact that his physical skills are also close to being unparalleled by any other QB is merely the icing on the cake... but again, more impressed with his ability to read defenses... a skill that if you don't develop will neuter all future NFL QB's, no matter how physically gifted they are.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

The good news, the great news: Team Disappointment didn't show up! But, a bit too close for comfort at the end. Can't sit on a lead with the Patriots. They were an onside kick recovery away from maybe. Great win. Time to finish strong: playing the Titans twice won't be easy.

raining threes and Jake Tower like this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

His rating wasn't that much higher than Hopkins.

Jake Tower and pgabriel like this.
  5. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Last season I was getting seriously worried about Watson's ability to read NFL defense. He has put that concern to rest for me. Proof that he really is the real deal.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Really? I didn't mention style in any form or fashion. I think you need to go ahead puke and get a life as well.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This game gives me hope that we have a puncher's chance @ Baltimore or @ New England in the playoffs (provided we get there).

I don't expect to win, but it feels good knowing it could happen since most of this season has felt like we're marching straight into a woodchipper.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Really was. An all around great game by the players and the coaches. You could make the argument that they got a little too soft at the end on defense but it also seemed to drain a lot of clock at the same time.

This is the biggest win in BoB's career, period. Those playoff wins were against clearly inferior teams. Gives them confidence to do it again. Though they're highly unlikely to catch either Baltimore or the Pats for a bye and will almost certainly have to play a game or 2 on the road, knowing they can beat the Pats is a big boost.

BUT...they have to actually follow it up. Can't have a let down against a not good Broncos team.

#628 leroy, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  9. plates300

plates300 Member

Defense played amazing until they went away from what go them there in the first place. Thank you Romeo Crennel for finally doubling Edelman and covering any RB out of the backfield with a corner.

10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly! I was saying before the game that they need to double Edelman. Brady always goes to him. Not doubling him on defense is like not doubling Hopkins or Harden. Finally, we played smart defense.
    I loved it!!!!

raining threes likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Need to win out (Broncos, @Titans, @Bucs, Titans) and then have the Pats go 2-2 or Ravens go 1-3.

Pats close out the year with Chiefs, @Bengals, Bills, Dolphins.

Ravens close out with @billS, Jets, @Browns, Steelers.

It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely. At least this W kept the door open for it to happen.

Worth mentioning is that even if the Ravens or Pats stumble and we win out, we'd be in danger falling behind the Bills (9-3) who have Ravens, @Steelers, @Patriots, Jets left.

TexasRedd likes this.
  12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

All I know is give Roby 20 mil a year, that guy was a difference !

13. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Feels good to slay the Dragon.

[​IMG]

#633 Chilly_Pete, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    alethios and raining threes like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Might be a blueprint going forward on them this year, as they don't have Gronk.

DD

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Maybe the most significant regular season win in franchise history. Definitely the biggest in O'Brien's tenure. Great game...great defensive plan...and great play calling on the offensive side of the ball. And a blast to watch the Texans beat the Patriots!

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Ravens have skull****ed everybody; that team is a juggernaut and maybe not a fair standard. The Texans, meanwhile, now own a road victory over Kansas City and a victory over the Patriots, who, FYI, have to play the Chiefs and Bills their next two games. The #2 seed is very much in play if the Texans handle their business down the stretch.

2-1 against the three elite teams in the AFC and are a 58-yard FG away from owning a 3-1 record against four of the five or six favorites to reach/win the Super Bowl. And only one of those games was at NRG. I mean... what more do they need to do to get buy-in from fans?..........

17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Amazing more teams don't do this. Why teams insist on keeping LB's covering quick RB's out of the backfield is beyond me. This is the game plan the Patriots would have if they had to guard themselves. Romeo finally thought like Bellicheck and thought outside the box just a little.

Jake Tower and Two Sandwiches like this.
  18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And!... The game it replaced as maybe the most significant regular season win in franchise history... was seven weeks ago.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

More than one playoff win against a 3rd string QB.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope to see us add to Winston's pathetic 20 interceptions for the year total. Any QB who gives the ball away that many times shouldn't even be a starting QB, regardless of whether or not he has 22 touchdowns.