1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mets @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Remember, no PBP in these threads and keep the chatter on topic (if it is about something other than this series, talk about it in another thread).

8-1 Pedro Martinez, RHP (3-2, 6.25) vs. Brandon Backe, RHP (6-10, 4.73) 7:05 on FSN

8-2 Johan Santana, LHP (9-7, 2.93) vs. Roy Oswalt, RHP (8-8, 4.67) 6:05 on FSN

8-3 John Maine, RHP (9-7, 4.13) vs. Randy Wolf, LHP (6-10, 4.79) 1:05 on FSN

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I would like to go just to see Pedro tonight

3. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Simple math:

With the addition of Hawkins = WWW

4. msn

msn Member

<table><td align=center valign=center>W = </td><td align=center valign=center>(Astrosusedtosuck) + (LaTroyHawkins+RandyWolf)<br /><span style="border-top-style: solid; border-top-width: 1px;">(RandyAndLaTroyAreOld) * (NoAAAHelp+NoOtherAcquisitions) + (thePoopoorahLegacy)</span></td><td align=center valign=center>=</td><td align=center valign=center>0</td></table>
    ...hence, <i>LLL</i>

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

LMAO...Too funny...

The ever optimist that I am, well, at least for now, I say WWL...f' it...

6. A.J.

A.J. Member

W
    Second game is going to be great: L
    Wolf is pitching: L

It's time to boo Carlos Beltraitor!

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I have a bad feeling we get swept here. Not that it means anything since it was wild guessing but I nailed the last 2 series.

I do hope Roy outpitches Santana though.

8. BrooksBall

Wigginton is downright horrible defensively. Tejada isn't far behind. And I think it may be starting to rub off on Berkman.

Ugly, ugly stuff. Tough luck for Backe who pitched a pretty strong game and knocked one out of the park.

#8 BrooksBall, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  9. Landlord Landry

why do people still do this? that was 4 years ago. even the brewers quit booing carlos lee.

besides........

Carlos Lee> Carlos Beltran. and he was cheaper.

10. Landlord Landry

10 hits 3 runs 2 walks and 3 KO in 6 innings. meh, not exactly strong, but better than most of his other perfomances.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Are you watching the game? Just in the 7th, the first hit was a grounder up the middle which Tejada fielded and threw in the dirt to Berkman. If the throw was in the air or if Berkman picks it (he usually does) then no hit. The 2nd hit was a bunt that Wigginton foolishly looked to second before he threw to first and the hitter subsequently beat t out. The third hit was a relatively routine grounder with the infield in expecting a bunt.

Apparently the third inning was a bunch of bloops and bleeders.

12. Landlord Landry

thats alot of excuse for alot of different hits, and while some of them are valid, it doesn't change my view that this wasn't exactly a 'strong' performance by backe. and yes i am watching the game.

13. BrooksBall

I was trying to make the point that Backe pitched far better than his line. If you watched the game, it's hard to disagree.

Anyways, Loretta is a heck of a hitter. If management is still delusional enough to think we are contenders, give Loretta more playing time. Let Wigginton be a right-handed pinch hitter (I think this is what he is best-suited for) and let Blum and Loretta split 3rd base duties. I'm sick of watching Wigginton's blunders with the glove.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So how was his performance in the 7th inning in your opinion? I think it was very strong. Shoddy fielding and a routine grounder with the infield drawn in led to 3 hits. No excuses - facts.

If they are not hitting the ball hard, the pitcher is generally pitching well (i.e. strong).

15. BrooksBall

Ok then, Landlord. If we are going to debate tonight, what is your argument for Lee being better than Beltran, Yes, he is having a better year but if you look at their career performances, especially the primes of their careers, I don't think it's that easy to make the argument that Lee is better than Beltran.

Lee has a slight edge in AVG, SLG and RBI. Very slight in the latter two. Beltran is a very good RBI guy too.

Beltran, on the other hand, is a better OBP guy (his edge here is more signficant than Lee's edge in the categories above).

As far as defense, you are talking about one of the best outfielders compared to one of the worst.

Beltran also steals more bases, including in recent years where he's slowed down.

I think everything considered, Beltran probably gets the edge. At best, they are equals.

16. BrooksBall

I fail.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Awesome game. Mets get the bases loaded no outs and get no runs.

We load the bases now outs. Grand Salami. :D

18. A.J.

A.J. Member

Cause he is a traitor. And I hate him.

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

He played here for half a season four years ago and left to sign a bigger contract (that he's not quite worth) in a bigger market; we made it to the World Series without him the very next season and he's yet to set foot on the big stage. I think it's time we all moved on...booing at this point for no other reason besides he didn't stay in Houston is a little unnecessary.

20. Little_Scott

Little_Scott Member

That may be your opinion.

Without the Astros, Carlos Beltran never has any opportunity to sign that bigger (unworthy) contract in said bigger market. So the need to soothe those feeelings of discontent and betrayal will always exist, since he bolted. Fortunately, it did turn out ok for the club ... but that doesn't mean we need to hide our feelings, and it doesn't negate any of my disdain for Beltran.

Boo him every time. Boo him like he's shooting free throws. And then laugh at him when he's too slow to catch up to balls on the Hill.