1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Jaguars @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 10, 2019.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

They scored 26.. The Rookie QB completed his first 13 passes.

What makes you think the Chiefs defense is bad? It was bad last year but they changed schemes and switch 7 out of the 11 players on the field.... One of which use to be a Texan in the Honey Badger. Got a good pass rusher in Frank Clark plus other solid role players.

While the Texans took an average defense and removed three of the best players from it. JDC, Honey Badger, Kareem Jackson. We also lost Covington. And only replaced two of them with question marks. Roby and Tashaun Gipson.. JJo got older. Heck I can argue that chiefs defense might actually be better than ours....

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Roby is a better corner than anything the Texans had last year.

Tashaun Gipson is a better cover safety than Mathieu who constantly blew coverage(he actually was partly responsible for both of Minshew’s TD’s).

Whitney who replaces Clowney as the primary rusher, is better at getting to the QB.

In regards to Kansas City,

They lost Dee Ford and Justin Houston by replacing them with Clark. That’s a downgrade. Instead of Eric Berry they have Mathieu which I already covered. Jones inside will now get more attention than before due to less of a threat on the outside.

Their pass defense is awful and if you are trying to claim the Honey Badger was a big loss to the secondary then I will just have to say I can’t help you.

BigShasta likes this.
  3. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

How many times have the Texans allowed some no-named QB to come in turn into Joe Montana all of a sudden?

That better not happen this week!

4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

My statement was purely hypothetical, I don't honestly believe they have a better defense than us, just saying you can't really judge their defensive unit this year based on last year. Just too many pieces got replaced. They had a lot of guys on the wrong side of 30.

Whitney played with Clowney and Watt last year so you can't just replace Clowney with Whitney... If you want to look at it that way, we still took a huge step back in Whitney's replacement. Last year we were an elite run stopping team and a big part of that was Clowneys ability to set the edge.

I agree that our corners and safeties were bad in coverage last year. However what they did really well was tackle and defend the run. Even if we got better cover corners our run defense is gonna suffer. The saints averaged 7 yards a carry Monday night and we were able to shut down Zeke last year.

Lastly, I won't believe in Gipson and Roby until I see it. The last piece we took from Jacksonville in the secondary was Colvin and he just got cut. He was awesome for them, but terrible for us. Their secondary is just soo stacked it makes everyone looked good. Same with Roby his best year was when he was playing with Harris and Talib.

Houstunna likes this.
  5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Not very often. This defense has feasted on young QB's over the years.

6. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

It's happened often enough. Jacoby Brissett, Mark Sanchez, Blaine freaking Gabbert....and that's just last season. Don't make me bring up Tim Tebow (which is on Kubiak, but still).

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

We can go way back to the Rams' Ryan Fitzpatrick in his 1st game (way before he was fitzmagic) and our good buddy Dan Orlovsky with the Colts (2011)

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

No rookie has beat Crennel’s defense.

It’s not going to happen Sunday with this offense either.

sammy and whag00 like this.
  10. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Watched too many Texans games to take anything for granted.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

790 said Watson will DNP vs Jags due to chicken pox.

There's no thread, so guess just joking.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Probably a play off the fact that Darnold is out "indefinitely" with Mono.

13. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jacoby Brissett beat RAC as a rookie in 2016...week 2 as well :confused:

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It was primetime as well.

Houstunna and Pringles like this.
  15. Pringles

Pringles Member

Wow has it already been 3 years? We are getting old.

Uprising and desihooper like this.
  16. showa13

showa13 Member

I would say I’m surprised at how many people are worried about this game, but I remember the cool thing to do is criticize BOB and the Texans for the way they’re breathing. Not a BOB fan but y’all take it to a new lever every day.

Yes 80s p*rn star Gardner Minshew started off great, but KC’s defense is still terrible. As an unequivocal Honey Badger fan, I was happy someone else was paying him. I think we bring him crashing down this week. As to the Jags defense, the Telvin Smith loss is bigger than you think. They also hate Tom Coughlin and many stars of the team will be bolting as soon as they can.

I’m going 27-13 Texans, with the team playing better overall.

Uprising likes this.
  17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Indeed. They were talking Darnold around that time.

18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Texans have executed some major flops.

desihooper likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bill O'Brien on Deshaun Watson caution vs. aggressiveness, protecting himself: 'It's something we talk about a lot. Very unique and great playing style. At times, talk about a clock in your head. It's a fine line.'

Bill O'Brien on Deshaun Watson: 'Excellent deep ball thrower, great mechanics, has big hands, good footwork. Throws the ball really well down the field.'

Bill O'Brien on Keke Coutee: 'Arrow trending toward being able to play. He's been out there at practice. Inactives will be interesting, lot of guys playing well.'

Bill O'Brien on Charles Omenihu, who was inactive in first game: 'He's a good young player, very excited about his future.'

Bill O'Brien on pass rusher Jacob Martin: 'Good explosion off the ball. He can do a lot of different things on the edge.'

Bill O'Brien on going to London in November to play Jaguars references time he did this before with Patriots 'Looking ahead to that trip, we have really great people in the organization. We've looked ahead toward the time change. When it comes time to go over there, very excited'

20. Houstunna

Supporting Member

790 reported Bouye is out.

Texans getting more breaks than a cigarette smoker.