1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Jaguars @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 10, 2019.

1. mario_v

mario_v Member

I love Watson. I just don’t like that he gets very little to no blame from fans, but those same fans are looking for any excuse to go off on obrien.

There were two tds to fuller and duke Johnson that Watson missed, yet he gets a pass.

No Worries and Two Sandwiches like this.
  2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Watson takes a weekly beating because he plays for a poorly run organization. That buys him some sympathy points, but he’s human too and he makes mistakes. He made several of them yesterday. He holds the ball too long, misses the occasional read, misses open receivers from time to time, but all quarterbacks do that. He’s young and will probably improve in those areas when given more than a second or two before he’s knocked flat on his ass. O’Brien, on the other hand, hasn’t seemed to improve on a lot of his weaknesses. He’s stubborn, he’s a TERRIBLE clock manager, he’s not very likable, doesn’t accept criticism well, defensive, etc. He’s also a big part of the poorly run organization. That’s the reason why there’s a bit of a double standard in the way the two of them are criticized. O’Brien has done some good things too, but he’s not going to get as much credit for those because, frankly, people are getting tired of the Texans organizationally, and he’s a big part of that.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Please show the throws that he missed.

That throw to Johnson was perfectly thrown in to the open space and Duke cut off his route. That was not on Watson.

Fuller dropped the 65 yard pass that hit him in the hands and chest. That was never going to be a TD due to the safety playing over the top. I thought it was once again, placed well.

Watson played decent. He’s played better, but it’s not as bad as the masses in Houston claim.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

1 of those was a botched snap by Martin too. 16 pressures is just way too much though.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I really like how he hits the hole quickly and the way he runs downhill. Also, I think the left side of this line, in particular, could be a really good at run blocking. Think the qb pressures will go down as the unit has some time to gel. Watson still missing some obvious check downs.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Different. I usually see the Dora gif when "Why not both?" gets mentioned.

Watson isn't the quickest thinking QB out there. That has to get better. But it has little to do with BoB's ability as a head coach.

10. Buck Turgidson

Wait...Watson's development as a QB "has little to do with BoB's ability as a HC"?

I could not disagree more.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly.

If people were quick to attribute Watson’s seamless transition to the NFL on the coaching staff, they should also bear similar responsibility when he’s not performing as well.

However, it will likely be more “Good Watson” is because of himself only, and “Bad Watson” is because of the coaching.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

This doesn't mean everything but Watson was good in college already. I see a lot of similarities in his game then and now. Not a whole lot has changed; for good and bad.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So everybody good in college = good in the pros?

There were obviously some concerns or else he would have been drafted close to #1 overall. The Chiefs, and Andy Reid, deserve a ton of credit for getting Mahomes ready as well... and he was pretty good already.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Hyde has been a steal so far. I’ll give OB credit for that move.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

I started my response with "this doesn't mean everything" for that reason.

There were some concerns with Deshaun then and there are some concerns now as well. His greatest strength is that he is willing to take risks because he believes he can get it back if it doesn't work. Most of the time he is able to get it back; maybe more then than now. I don't think Mahomes was as good in college in a very friendly system as he is now. The Chiefs deserve a ton of credit. The Texans do too; maybe not as much as the Chiefs.

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

JJo, McCarron, and a 2023 1st :D

18. mario_v

mario_v Member

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'd trade a 1st for him. You're not getting a better CB in the next few drafts or FA and he immediately makes your secondary a lot better, but they won't trade him to an in-division rival any ways :/

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Martin should be charged with 1 on that botched snap.

RasaqBoi likes this.