1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Jaguars @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

Like @justtxyank said earlier, he should be fired for that alone. 1 half of football and their entire offseason plan gets tossed out the window.

Total incompetence.

2. HTM

HTM Member

Hopefully they don't break Watson like the Redskins broke RG3

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Almost perfect. I think "He's like an angry Gary Kubiak minus the offensive understanding, play calling, player evaluation (Kubiak wasn't great with drafting offensively but he KNEW what NFL players would work in his system)" is a little better. Oh that reminds me. Kubiak clearly had a comprehensive offensive system. Zone blocking run game, play action, bootlegs and rollouts, delay draws on third and long. O'Brien's offensive system seems less comprehensive and more about running up the middle, waiting for checkdowns to get open, and delay draws on 3rd and long. All of those would seem to need a really good offensive line so it makes sense that they generally ignore that area.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Commodore

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well the worst possible thing that could happen did. I get the idea of changing out Savage for Watson because you were looking for something different but man, once you open that can or worms you are in a world of hurt. The problem wasn't even the play of the QB...it was the O-line getting manhandled. Both QBs were under constant harassment.

Mirri3000 and deb4rockets like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Jayson Braddock has some good points on why Savage should be the starter.

I honestly don't want Watson starting until Dwayne gets back and or Fuller for that matter.

Watson may be able to win you a game or two in the mean time, but at what cost for his future development. This may be the worst offensive line in Texans history.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

So glad they paid him like a (very) good tight end. Anytime you can pay C.J. Fiedorowicz $7.2M per year, you do it!

Boy, did they whiff on that free agent quartet.

[​IMG]

Uprising likes this.
  11. tmacfor35

These quarterbacks almost deserve an incomplete for the way the Offensive Line play.

I have a feeling BOB goes with Watson because of the running games improvement with him out there.

Then again, it is hard to have a running game with no tight ends.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

At least the Titans and Colts also lost yesterday. This division is trash but the Texans are probably the worst team in it.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I went back and watched parts of the game again, but focusing solely on the OLine...I don't blame either QB at all. There was no time to do anything...WR routes weren't even close to developing before the pressure was right there. Not sure what you're supposed to do in those situations as a QB. Also, the plays are atrocious...you would think that with such quick pressure, the offense would change it's play style to quick passes, screen plays, etc... Nothing...it's as if they had a preset series of plays and decided to run them for the first half regardless of what the defense was showing. It's really crazy how incompetent Obrien is as an offensive guy.

14. Commodore

as a passer, Savage is better right now, but you need a QB who can run for his life to have any shot at winning

of course, this puts Watson at risk of injury and learning terrible habits

15. Commodore

no play action either

16. tmacfor35

I agree with everything you said 100%.

Offensive scheme needs to change. Need more screen, slants, etc. I am afraid to type this but I believe BOB thought the OL was decent.

Just sign Duane Brown. I can't fathom the Texans playing last place ball and not even getting there pick. Nope.

17. tmacfor35

You can't play action with the kind of penetration they were getting. It would have been free 15 yard sacks.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

They also took a flyer in the 7th for a Center but the OL drafting has just been a disaster. Martin looks like a good pick but non taken in 2015, XSF was the only OL taken in 2014 and has just been awful, and then you had Brennan Williams and Quessenberry in 2013. Basically in the last 4 drafts, we have netted 1 starter, a backup OG IMO, a practice squad player, and a professional wrestler.

19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

THE HORROR.

20. steveng125

steveng125 Member

We need to trade Cushing, jjo for an offensive linemen