1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Diamondbacks @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 1, 2016.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

There's so much parity in the MLB...hard to identify sellers at this point, but I think we're going to need to trade for a bat to compete this year. Only other way is if Reed comes up and pulls a Correa.

I love Correa but it might be time to move him out of the 3 slot. Altuve should be our 3. He's the batter were most comfortable with, with guys on. Springer-Correa-Altuve and watch the league beg for mercy.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, Correa just comes off a run of going 4 for 7, including the 3 run HR on Sunday... and we have the usual suspects here ready to make their nickel-dimey lineup managerial decisions after 3 innings of this game.

I wonder how some of you go about your daily routines... must be second guessing every single decision.

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

This and maybe Rasmus DHing more.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Plenty game still remains. Highly doubtful we get shutout.

Fiers just needs to hold them down a lttle then let the bully go to work.

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

Teams have no fear coming inside on us because they know there will be no retaliation.

6. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Correa has had a solid stretch the last couple of games but overall this year, he has not been up to standard of a 3 spot hitter. That's undeniable.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I just got home. The thread sure doesn't sound like our team is only down 1-0 in the 4th (at home, coming off 4 straight wins, 7 of 8 wins, and 2 straight against this same team)

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Give me more of this Gomez, please. A LOT more.

9. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Right. Arizona hitters the last couple of games pitting way inside more the last couple of games. Close to hitting hitters several times.

10. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

0-5 with RISP.

11. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No doubt he's still a work in progress... but he's starting off at a very high floor and has all the ability in the world to be a tremendous player.

Still has to be reminded that he probably won't have it all figured out for a few more years... and yet he's still going to be one of the best hitting SS's in baseball.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I would hope so... their pitching staff has been lit up by the Astros the last two games.

Whenever that happens, you gotta get batters uncomfortable.... that's part of baseball.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Good to see Fiers settle down and start getting some outs for himself... and his defense still helping him out too.

15. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Gattis' caught stealing rate should be astronomical right now.

16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

False

17. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Dang, Gattis has thrown out more runners in a few weeks than Conger did all year, mind you that was easy with only 1 ABTO for Hanker..;)

18. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I feel he will eventually grow into his potential, it's just hurting the team now being in a critical spot in the order that is expected to be a run producer and he's hitting more like a 6 or 7 hitter.

I understand this, but teams probably have not as much fear of retaliation for pitching too aggressively inside and possibly hitting batters because the Astros hardly do that type of thing, especially since it got a pitcher demoted last year.

19. awc713

awc713 Member

I'm not sure if you're clumping me with cangrejero, but my observation was not made after 3 innings. It's based on 51 games this season.

Correa ranks #5th on Astros in RISP (at .259).

• Springer (.341)
      Rasmus (.288)
      Altuve (.287)
      and Castro (.267).

I'm not slandering Correa; we are lucky to have him. But his struggles at the plate in 2016 are notable. Nor am I advocating for a permanent transition out of the 3 slot for Carlos (after all, he's 21). Correa will thrive anywhere in the lineup (i.e., the 2 slot), and you've got to admit...Altuve hitting cleanup sounds intriguing.

20. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Another key opportunity here for Correa.