1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cubs @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 27, 2019.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think it is safe to DFA White. Not sure anyone is going to pick him up at this point.

2. Buck Turgidson

Yes. Blue Sky is where it's at.

You can post things for whatever reason you want. For me, because I want to.

3. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Prayer to that little girl.

If bat boy is sick for the Astros, ask Tyler White to fill in.

AstrosRockets1818 likes this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They did just go 4-2 against two of the better teams in baseball using a make shift line up. I'll take it.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

On the brightside, the injuries happened on a charmin soft portion of the schedule. We should be able to at least tread water over this stretch, even with some big guns shelved.

6. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I have a feeling things are going to get a little rough on this upcoming road trip. The lineup we've thrown out there the past two games is pitiful. Fisher leading off and Gurriel/White/Mayfield in the 4-5-6 spots...not to mention our defense is taking a huge hit.

Sure, we managed to win 4 out of 6 but we've been a much better home team and I'm sure a bunch of guys are excited/thrilled to be playing in the MLB (Stubbs, Mayfield, Fisher, etc.) but I'm skeptical of us winning even 3 out of the 7 on this road trip if we keep throwing that trash lineup out there.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What are your alternatives? It's clear they're not calling Tucker and Alvarez up yet. The lineups some here call trash is at least as good as what most of the teams in the majors is bringing out on a daily basis. We're just a tad spoiled.

raining threes, BigM and Joe Joe like this.
  8. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I don't have an alternative other than Tucker and Alvarez which I agree they aren't going to call them up given how big our lead in the standings is right now. I'm not even arguing that it's a bad decision on their part, although I do hate the Super 2 game and I think the players are going to push hard to get rid of the current structure in the new CBA.

That being said, the As have been playing better recently and that lead could be cut into significantly. The lineups the last two nights are not as good as what most teams are bringing out...if we played a full year with that lineup I would bet anything that lineup would be in the bottom half of the AL in most offensive metrics.

everyday eddie and Major like this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Man, my son is a year and a half. Almora has a three year old and another infant.

I really feel for the guy.

He said he wants to be in this little girls life forever and make sure she's okay.

Terrible situation, handled in as best a way as possible. I'll root for that guy.

10. Major

Major Member

There is no real alternative - we'll just have to struggle our way through the next week or two or however long it is before Tucker/Alvarez can be brought up, or until people get healthy. The Astros are good enough that they can afford to have a couple of mediocre weeks if needed.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros might struggle. They might not. It is likely only going to be one or two weeks in which JV, Cole, and Peacock are on pace to start every game against teams that aren't 10 games or worse below 0.500. If Astros struggle, it will be a combination of Astros starters being hurt and unhurt starters playing poorly.

12. Major

Major Member

Or losing low-scoring games like last night, due to running 3-5 AAA level players out there each day.

Nook and Htown Stros like this.
  13. AstrosRockets1818

3 at Oakland
    4 at Seattle

Give me 4-3 and i'll sign the papers right now.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros only played Fisher as an injury call up last night. 5 MLB players went o-for as well. Astros MLB players went 1 for 7 with RISP. Fisher did not get an AB with a RISP. I'd call this one on the unhurt MLB starters.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Disappointed at all the men sitting in that section for not shielding the girl and for not trying to catch it. You better believe I would try to catch the ball linedrive at 100 mph. No hero, but no softee.

16. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Seriously. I hate the Cubs, but I'm an Almora fan now. I don't know that he could've handled it any better.

17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I'd sign up for 3-4 guaranteed honestly.

18. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I think most people in this world would do the same over letting it hit a small child...at the end of the day though the ball is traveling so fast and it's one of those situations where most people just don't have the reaction time necessary plus I'm sure several of the people in the area weren't paying 100% attention themselves.

When I was about 10, I was standing down the 1st base line waiting to hopefully get an autograph during batting practice and Luis Gonzalez smoked a ball foul that one hopped the dirt before coming into the stands right where I was standing. I got incredibly lucky and the ball hit the bill of my cap knocking it off and the ball ricocheted back onto the field after glancing off another guys arm - I don't know how it happened, it was one of those "you couldn't do it again if you tried 100 times" moments but I can't imagine if it had hit me square in the head. Ended up getting a ball out of it instead so worked out great but it's just one of those things that happens. It's easy to say you would have reacted and shielded the kid and I would like to think I would have to, but with how fast these balls are coming at you it's impossible to say...the only true way to protect a child is to not sit in those seats that close up.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

White could move to Japan and lose 50 lbs eating fish all day.

Nook likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

I don't recall the play where she got hit. Where were they sitting?