1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official: Chronicle report Taylor OK's Rocket contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 25, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

<a href="http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/645457">Free agent Taylor OKs contract with Rockets</a>

For the second consecutive year, the Rockets won a free-agent race Thursday by moving slowly.

Forward Maurice Taylor told Rockets officials Thursday that he would accept their offer to sign a free-agent contract with the team, according to sources involved in the talks. Taylor, sources said, agreed to sign a one-year, $2.25 million contract.

As they did with Shandon Anderson last year, the Rockets landed their free-agent target to a contract far below the expected market value by waiting out Taylor's other options, ultimately including the collapsed four-team, 13-player deal that would have led him to Seattle to replace Vin Baker.

Taylor also told SuperSonics vice president Wally Walker of his decision Thursday and made plans to fly from Washington, D.C., to Detroit and on to Houston on Thursday night.

Taylor was unsure whether he would be able to complete personal business in Detroit in time to make his late flight to Houston, but had made his intentions clear.

Rockets officials were unavailable for comment Thursday.

The Rockets had been pursuing Taylor since July, but their recruiting efforts picked up dramatically after he turned down a three-year, $17.5 million offer from the Toronto Raptors.

Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich met with Taylor in Chicago on Aug. 7. The team has been in daily contact with Taylor since, with talks picking up with his agent, David Falk, this week.

Though Taylor had told the Rockets throughout the week that he was undecided, he seemed bound for Seattle when the SuperSonics put together the trade that would have been the largest in NBA history.

In that deal, Baker would have moved to the Knicks -- opening a starting power forward spot for Taylor -- in exchange for Knicks center Patrick Ewing, also a Falk client.

Lakers free-agent forward Glen Rice, also a Falk client, also would have moved to the Knicks.

But when Detroit backed out of the original deal, the Knicks and Sonics could not find a team willing and able to accept the contracts the Sonics needed to move to balance Ewing's contract.

The Knicks, sources said, tried to include Seattle forward Horace Grant in the deal to move Grant to the Lakers for Rice. But the Sonics balked, not wanting to sacrifice a valuable backup to Ewing, 38, or to so greatly help the Lakers.

With Taylor ready to take the Rockets' far more clear-cut option, the teams continued to work to revive the deal Thursday before it was ultimately declared dead.

Taylor would give the Rockets a low-post scoring threat at forward with the shooting touch to also work with the Rockets guards to catch and shoot.

A three-year veteran, he will be 24 years old when the season begins, young enough to grow with the Rockets' young nucleus.

Taylor, the 14th player taken in the 1997 NBA draft, has averaged 14.8 points and 5.2 rebounds in his three seasons out of Michigan.

He averaged 17.1 points and 6.5 rebounds last season. Taylor made 46.4 percent of his shots and 71.1 percent of his free throws, but played the season under a cloud after proclaiming his intention to leave the Clippers after the season.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

2. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

We're back! PLAYOFFS 2001!

P.S. Did anyone really give a rat's ass about Maurice Taylor as a player until this offseason spectacle?

------------------
    Jazzkiller

3. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

slcrocket,

Believe it or not, I was watching Taylor (and the Clips) on the dish around the time Charles went down and knew Mo was a free agent. I thought at the time he would be an interesting pickup. Truth is stranger than fiction.

------------------
    GATER

5. RENDIGGLER3:20

I liked Mo when he was teamed up with Tractor Traylor in michigan.While hes been in the nba i havent seen much of him but he had some mice games against us.I also remember him throwing down some nasty dunks on Cato to.Hopefully this can get us back in the playoffs(and i think it will) but if we dont we will still have one of the leagues most exciting teams.

I CANT WAIT!!!

------------------

6. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

Good to hear. I like the pick-up. Taylor is a nice addition.
    ------------------
    "UNBEATABLE"

[This message has been edited by Not Chaney (edited August 24, 2000).]

7. mfgarza

mfgarza Contributing Member

Right now, I was watching that game from December when Mo had 31. Noticed that he has a very quick first step and has a nice crossover for a big man. Hopefully, he can get some of the other teams big men in foul trouble.

------------------

8. TraJ

TraJ Member

Rendiggler,

It's those "mice" games that we ought to be worried about. [​IMG]

------------------

9. Miggidy Markell

SWEEEEEEEEET!

------------------
    Miggidy Markell says:

1. Eastcoast is da sh*t
    2. Rockets rule
    3. Hip/Hop is dope
    4. Buy the new Ruff Ryders album!

Miggidy Markell is watching
    Stay STRAPPED & WATCH ya back or be Assimilated.

10. Swami

Swami Member

As Gene Peterson would say: "How sweet it is!!" Chalk up another striking example of Houston being a desireable place for free agents to choose to come (even if for less money). IMO, that speaks volumes about the quality of the team's ownership and management. Congratulations to Les, CD, Rudy et all and obviously to the Houston Rockets Fans! The team can count on my family's votes come arena time. Now we have an inside/outside attack to add to our slashing game on offense, if we can get the guys focused on defense a little bit we can make some waves. I'm genuinely looking forward to watching the team next season (and for years to come)!

------------------