1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Athletics @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Did we win?? Reading some comments from the last 4-5 pages I'm not so sure. Anyway, I'm becoming tired of the arguing between posters, and if it continues it will end about as well as Giles night tonight.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This cannot stand. He should be suspended or demoted for this stuff.

Htown Stros likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sorry... he was an actual successful MLB starter that became a closer.

didn’t think I’d have to spell that out for you.

Guys like LMJ and even Cole, earlier in his career, could have possibly made the switch and never looked back... but its painfully obvious that starters are always going to be more valuable than closers, despite what the common fan typically b****es about on an internet message board.

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

5. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Maybe Giles was talking to himself when he said f you. He did punch himself once.

Houstunna likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I was just throwing out more examples off the top of my head. Sorry.

7. HTM

HTM Member

I was there and stayed the whole time... y'all can thank me later.

8. Stros66

Stros66 Member

I wish I was at the game. Awesome finish

raining threes likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We know we are gonna have some room to play with wins and losses and we are trying to get some stable use of a talented arm, I'm not as aggravated as others.

But the writing has been on the wall for a while that the organization isn't comfortable with him, and obviously why should they.

Somebody will be willing to give us something to see if they can get some use, and we have to be close to that point

We won guys chill the f**k out.

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Bregman is pretty damn impressive. Even when he screws up, they walk off.

Htown Stros likes this.
  12. GottaHaveHeart

Giles is junk and Offense and bullpen need to do a better job on days JV pitches the guy should have at least 5-6 wins more than what he has now

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Crap... they went out drinking together.

Houstunna, raining threes and MadMax like this.
  14. conquistador#11

in all this, what gets lost is that the three man booth with Julia was perfect. Make it permanent.
    and marwin's hand was just a contusion. originally, I thought it was a deep cut by the way the pineapple kept making faces.

Scottay, arkoe and Rodman23 like this.
  15. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I agree. Not sure if he has options left, but I'd send a message and demote him if possible. The chemistry on this team is too good to have this kind of crap happening.

8 pitches, zero outs, 3 runs....and he has the audacity to question coming out?

waytookrzy079 and raining threes like this.
  16. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

This. Everyone saying “we know how he does in non save situations, why would he bring him in” don’t get it. In the grand scheme of things, it’s a pretty meaningless game in July that no one would have remembered had it not been for the crazy Bregman ending.

What blows my mind is people thinking Hinch is some idiot for bringing him in there. They don’t think Hinch and upper management has the stats they found on a ten second Google search that shows Giles is a complete failure in non save/4 run lead situations? We’re talking about one of the most analytically driven teams in all of sports...of course they know the stats.

More than likely that’s EXACTLY why Hinch put him in the game. He’s a talented arm that they paid a pretty price for so they’re going to be patient with him and give him more chances to redeem himself (i.e. not coming into the game pouting/not caring because he’s not the closer) than other players such as a Joe Smith or Will Harris. That same patience Hinch has shown is the reason why Gattis was the team leader in HR before yesterday’s game (90% of this board would have benched him). Want another example? How about not only sticking with Bregman but moving him up to the two hole as a 22 kid who had ONE hit in his first ten games and had looked completely lost.

People on this board, especially those who regularly bash Hinch, don’t seem to understand there’s a human element to this game. You can tell the players have a level of respect for Hinch that’s beyond anything we’ve ever seen as an Astros fan before (Dierker may have an argument here). And for that reason what Giles did yesterday is beyond repairable. I’ll be shocked if he’s still on this team next year and quite frankly I would bet he’s not on the playoff roster, whether he is traded or just completely left off.

AnHero, Kida, arkoe and 4 others like this.
  17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I’m glad he’s stepping up as a leader and getting on him instead of making Hinch do it. Considering how patient and calm Hinch is, it’s incredible he acted that way. A Lou Piniella or Ozzy Guillen type manager would have kicked his ass after the game...possibly even in the dugout right after he walked off the mound acting like he did.

18. raining threes

^^^^
    This

The players on the team seem to like Giles, but this kind of crap wont play with Luhnow. Luhnow values team chemistry more than anything else. He even overlooks some of Hinch's questionable strategy decisions in the name of chemistry.

I look for Luhnow to cut his losses with Giles and move Giles as part of a package to get Iglesias at the trade deadline.

19. SuraGotMadHops

I mean who hasn't had a day where you want to say "Ah f*** you man!" to your boss?

jcee15 likes this.
  20. raining threes

I would've loved to see Billy Martin manage Giles.

Htown Stros likes this.