1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Oh man... that sounds damn tempting. I'll still be in FLA, but by Saturday I'll be in Fort Myers, and like you, are facing the prospect of another long drive.

If the inspiration strikes around Thursday, I'll let you know... but feel free to offer them up to somebody else who will definitely be in the area (or stubhub/online etc.).

Thanks a lot though... looking forward to seeing the ace (Roy O) and the prodigy (Troy P) pitch some quality innings today.

The "Roy and Troy show"... ETA 2009.

2. Buck Turgidson

Luke Scott was an afterthought in '05 ST. He went absolutely nuts & won a wide open competition for the starting LF job. Fans & media were going bonkers for the kid, screaming about how the Astros "HAVE TO FIND A SPOT FOR LUKE SCOTT". They did, and he lasted all of 1 month in the bigs.

Hunter Pence was an afterthought going into '07 ST. He's currently going absolutely nuts....

Here's Gar's take, in essense " It's early, everybody needs to calm the hell down.":

"For young hitters, and particularly for a guy like him, it's in his favor. Pitchers aren't locating as well as they will, their breaking balls aren't as sharp as they are. It might very well be that when everybody's on track, he may be doing the same thing. But we do know pitchers get sharper. Spring Training is not a true test, although it's a good test to see what a young man can do. Certainly, he's doing very well right now."

The fans - helped in no small part by mediots like Charlie Palillo - always have their shiny new plaything that's going to solve all the team's problems. If they're successful, it's "I told you so". When they're not, well, let's just forget about that. Last year, it was Jason Hirsh, Ben Zobrist & Hunter Pence. Two of those 3 got their shot, how'd that turn out? Before that, it was Chris Burke & Luke Scott. How'd they do in '05? Combined to hit about .230. Before that, the guy that the Astros "HAVE TO FIND A SPOT FOR", was...wait for it...Jason Lane, who now "HAS TO BE RELEASED".

There's a certain swarthy mediterranean fellow on the Rockets who fits the mold as well.

Wheels on the bus go round & round...

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

That may fit other fans, but I stated my point on why I would like Pence in right. I understand your "taste of the month" take, but it has nothing to do with my points.

Pence is a better prospect then any of those guys mentioned, who plays a position that is filled currently by Lane/Hildalgo/Scott. It's not like he is stuck behind Biggio or Bagwell - right field SHOULD be wide open with Scott having the edge over the others because of last year. But if Pence is ready, or shot, if he is almost ready - give it to him.

4. Buck Turgidson

Well, your points had nothing to do with my original point, so there. ;)

It's quite possible Pence plays his way onto the team. It's quite possible he doesn't. He's getting a shot, so I really don't see what the problem is. *Starting* the season with Luke Scott & Jason Lane (I think Reeshard is done, personally, from what I've heard out of Florida) manning RF ain't exactly a disaster. I guess I'm not as down on Lane as some, he was terrible last year, but has been pretty good the rest of his career. If he can get that back, he can help this club in some capacity.

If they think Pence's future is in CF in '07, it might be a good idea to play him there everyday to start the season. Some time in AAA won't hurt him. He'll be in Houston soon enough.

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I hear you, I've been down on Lane for awhile but for some reason I'm really optimistic that Ensberg is going for atleast 30 hr's and 90 rbi's this year. :D

6. msn

msn Member

Well done!

7. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Ensberg with another homer today.

8. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

It will work out much better for everyone when Biggio gets the 3000 hits. Give 2nd back to Burke and then Pence has center to himself. Loretta will still probably have a chance to get his at bats. Scott's power potential is too important to overlook, just to get Pence up a few months earlier.

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Bucky, Bucky, Bucky! You sir, seem to undervalue the benefit a short stint in the majors can do for a young player. While it may not seem so from an initial statistical side, a second go round can become much more successful given a players familiarity with many of the elements associated with the big's.

Scott, for instance, talked about how overwhelmed he was on his first go round. It was all in his head, he was in the majors and couldn't piss without hitting his shoes. However, after going through a battle in the minors, he made the most of his opportunity the second time around. He was more comfortable and just playing the game he loved.

I'm not saying Pence has automatically earned a spot, but I am for him staying up if he continues to hit. Even if he doesn't pan out in the first go round, he will and we will, be better served the next time he's up.

10. Buck Turgidson

So what do they do with Scott, the guy who's already been through that learning period you're emphasizing?

What happens if Burke gets hurt? You've got a kid sitting on the bench who's never played CF outside of summer ball as your starting CFer - during the season, in a likely pennant race. Talk about being overwhelmed.

Having Hunter Pence sit on the bench as their 4th OF would be the absolute worst thing they could do for the kid. They need somebody on the bench with some RH pop to go along with Lamb & the contact guys (OP & Loretta). Lane could be perfect for that role. Pence is not. No rookie is.

Let Pence play CF in AAA every day, if Burke/Scott/Lane fall on their face, there he is.

11. studogg

First off, Scott has earned a spot. As a starter. Period.

In my mind, Burke has not earned that spot in center field. He is a mis-cast character being screwed by a player in his twilight trying to get a record. I am concerned that Burke's offense will be hurt because he will be struggling to keep up with the defense. And for what? So he can resume his career at second base next year? Thanks Buck, I missed out on the opportunity to season my next center fielder so you could season a stop gap.

I want Pence up if he hits. I want him getting spot starts in center and right. If he's overwhelmed, then send him back after a bit. And don't pull the "Lane is out of options, so if Pence is up, Lane is gone". Boo freakin Hoo. Lane has had one decent half season. Not even a full season. Some team may pick him up. Hopefully that team will be in the NL Central. That way, I can watch him walk with runners in scoring position and the catcher batting after him.

Let situation dictate your game plan. If we followed your rule with Bagwell, he'd have sat in triple A for a year learning to play first base.

12. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I think Pence will be on the major league roster soon enough this season if he doesn't break camp with the team. It's a long season, and someone is bound to get injured (knock on wood). I'm pretty sure he'll be the first guy called up if he is hitting well in AAA.

13. Major

Major Member

If you bring him up, he has to play - full time. Unless he's destined to be a future pinch hitter / utility guy, you don't bring up young guys to have them sit. It's a waste for them - they need experience, not sitting around.

14. Buck Turgidson

You're comparing a 3rd baseman moving to first to a mostly LFer/1 year of RFer moving to center?

You might want to think about why that's a very poor comparison.

15. studogg

so you dismiss the rest of my comment to pick on one point I was hesitant to include anyway? (obviously I'm not comparing Pence to Bagwell)

What about Burke's transition to center. You are completely ignoring that. He's had what, 20 games there? Coming up as a second baseman? You might want to rethink why that is such a good option.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Jason Lane is 3-3 with a homer today. Chris Sampson pitched two shutout innings.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

...and Pence just hit a 2 run HR.

18. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I am ready to see this guy everyday, I just don't want it to be to soon.

19. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

LOL, I am hearing Rich Lord go freaking nuts!

Pretty soon we will hear "keep hope alive!!"

20. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

Great day for lane, pence and sampson. Nats however, smoked us.

Clemens shows up to watch his butt buddy, pitch last night and it's all over hells' creation.