1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Creepy Crawl, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imatexan

imatexan Member

Three?
    Your post makes no sense.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

It makes perfect sense. Try again.

3. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

3B, CF, C

What don't you get?

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

More like the Filler B's

5. CRJames14

CRJames14 Member

Buy season tickets! Lots of great seats open... if you got the cash, nows the time to get great seats...

6. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Good evening Drayton

7. BrooksBall

8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Footer says that if Ortiz continues to pitch well, the only way Backe is in the rotation is if Wandy can't go. I disagree. If Ortiz pitches well and makes the rotation, it seems that it is between Backe and Moehler for the last spot.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Agree.

Footer was on 1560 this morning. She was talking about the young talent the Astros had...she said (paraphrased): "you hear people talk about how our minor league system is awful...and i suppose there's not the great number of prospects out there...but when you watch Chris Johnson, Brian Bogusevic, and Bud Norris, you watch 3 three guys who could very well be contributing this year...and they're good players."

She talked about Johnson and Bogusevic likely being starters next year at 3B and CF. (of course, if Bourn breaks out it changes that)

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

well done

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I've seen plenty of teams with "can't miss" prospects who don't do much once they reach the majors... and likewise, I've seen teams with "so-so" prospects turn out to have freakin gems.

Basically, for every Daryle Ward (who was "can't miss"), you can have an Albert Pujols (who was overlooked in spring training). Ok, maybe not that extreme, but my point is that these "projections" have to always be taken with a grain of salt until you actually see what the guy looks like in an MLB situation.

12. MadMax

completely agreed.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

backe, everybody else, demolished today. i for one am rooting for backe to continue stinking up the joint and get cut, but then again, i've learned to not assume anything when it comes to sensible roster decisions with this team.

our 3 catchers competing for the starting spot are like a combined 1-25 so far in the spring. it's just plain scary that we have an owner willing to go into the season with these guys.

14. MadMax

here was the starting lineup today:

Michael Bourn CF

Edwin Maysonet SS

Darin Erstad RF

Jason Michaels LF

David Newhan DH

Chris Johnson 3B

Jason Smith 2B

Mark Saccomanno 1B

J.R. Towles C

Here are the pitchers so far:

BRANDON BACKE
    SAMMY GERVACIO
    POLIN TRINIDAD
    TYLER LUMSDEN
    BUD NORRIS

Norris pitched 2 perfect innings, by the way.

Backe will pitch himself out of the rotation this spring.

15. BrooksBall

Quintero with 0 hits so far in ST. I believe he's had more ABs than any other catcher, too.

16. MadMax

http://byronlhsdrmr.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5918557/13862699

Astros Sping Training Performance Chart: THREE
    Posted on: March 3, 2009 10:12 am

I must say, I have been uninspired by the last several games from the Astros. The pitching has been shaky, and the offense has not been much better, and in some cases this past weekend, much, much worse. Luckily for Houston, and us fans, spring training is not about the wins and losses but, individual performances . At least that is my opinion; spring is about the position battles, the young players getting a chance to showcase their talents, and aging pitchers we never thought we would hear from again – Russ Ortiz . Anyways, here is the latest spring performance chart, which I believe is an update from the past two games. Also, the list has expanded to thirty, which is where it should stay, since pretty much everyone in camp has played now, and players have left for the WBC. Enjoy, discuss.

1. Russ Ortiz RHP PR : 2 +1

Russ Ortiz retakes the top spot after a second straight superb, scintillating, sensational outing (I love alliteration). He has pitched five inning this spring to the tune of two hits allowed, a [home]run, a walk, while striking out six batters. Conclusion: Ortiz has looks downright filthy!

2. Chris Johnson 3B PR: 1 -1

Johnson only slips because of Ortiz’ performance on the mound but, he added a hit, and a couple RBIs today. For the spring Johnson is four for eight with two extra base hits (a double and a homer), a strikeout, and he leads the team with five RBIs. This blog is a place for bandwagon, and I am encouraging you all to jump onto my ‘START CHRIS JOHNSON BANDWAGON’. It is the revolution that will make Houston a legitimate contender in 2009.

3. Reggie Abercrombie OF PR: 13 +10

Abercrombie is six for eleven with three extra base hits, and ten total bases. He has scored once, and driven in another two this spring. Abercrombie has however struck out three times and committed an error. Abercrombie is easily my early favorite for the fifth outfielder position but, something tells me management is still leaning towards Jason Michaels , who has not performed this spring – thus far.

4. Jason Smith INF PR : 10 +5

Smith continues to impress me both on offense and defense. He has yet to give up an error, and has gone four for seven, with two extra base hits, two runs, and a RBI.

5. Matt Kata INF PR: NR

Kata does not have an error at shortstop, and is three for four with a triple, homerun, two RBIs, and one strikeout.

17. BrooksBall

Here you go, Castor: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=156021&highlight=over/under

I think it would be fun.

A few simple ones...

1. The Astros will win [over/under] 75.5 games this season.
    2. Roy Oswalt will win [over/under] 17.5 games this season.
    3. Lance Berkman will hit [over/under] 39.5 HRs this season.
    4. Micheal Bourn will hit [over/under] .260 this season.
    5. Kaz Matsui will play in [over/under] 99.5 games this season.

I'm sure there is some formulaic way to set the numbers but it may be easier just to use common sense.

#37 BrooksBall, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  18. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

under, under, under, under, over...the pitching is going to be fine, but where are the runs going to come from?

19. BrooksBall

Those were just random numbers I threw out there. If Castor feels like making the thread, he could probably do a better job setting the numbers.

And I disagree... I'm worried about the pitching and the run production. Mostly, the pitching.

I know it's just ST but Wandy is hurt, Hampton had a heart scare and has been hit hard, Moehler has been hit hard, Backe has been hit hard...

At least Ortiz seems to be throwing well.

I don't what the latest numbers are but our catchers were collectively 2-for-25 at one point. Apparently, the Astros have no interest in signing Pudge for financial and chemistry reasons. I'd be ecstatic if they end up doing it though. Pudge's worst season was light years ahead of our next best option.

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Hampton had one bad outing. It is going to happen. Ortiz has been pitching VERY well. Clay Hensley got hit hard. Then he sat with the pitching coach and looked at game film. He has adjusted his mechanics, and since then has really impressed. They are looking at him for a rotation spot.

Oswalt
    Hampy
    Wandy
    Ortiz
    Hensley

Not great, but not awful either, assuming Hensley and Ortiz continue to pitch well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.