1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Creepy Crawl, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. right1

right1 Member

Turning into a pretty good battle for the outfield spots. Despite his poor year last year, it would be tough to start Michael Bourn at AAA. Abercrombie had a good September with the Astros and a great spring. Jason Michaels has experience and is starting to come around. Erstad hit a homer and will obviously be the 4th OF and pinch hit.

Astros win 7-2. Oswalt,gave up 1 run. Valverde, Geary & Brocail gave up 0. Byrdak 1 run in 2IP.

Bourn 3-3, BB, 2 Runs and 2 stolen bases!
    Erstad 2-2, HR,
    Michaels 1-2, SB, K
    Abercrombie 0-2, RBI, SF, K

+ Chris Johnson 2-2, 3B, R, RBI

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I think Johnson was actually 2-4 but still a good day and he hit in the clutch.

Erstad has had a good couple of days.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

[​IMG][/IMG]

Carlos Lee loves his McDonalds.

4. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

lmao.. nice cowboy hat

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Just watched the 18 inning Game 4 vs. the Braves from 2005 with my boys.

Opening Day can't get here soon enough!!!!!!!

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

7. BrooksBall

I only go to a few games a year but I happened to snag tickets off StubHub for that 18-inning game. I had relatives in town from Cleveland and I had wanted to take them to a baseball game during past visits but never got the chance. They are diehard Indians fans but love baseball, in general.

They actually wanted to leave around the 12th inning but I persuaded them to stay. I would've kicked myself if we had left early.

The ticket lady in our section had been an Astros fan her entire life. She was in tears when Burke hit the homer. On my way up the stairs, she actually bear hugged me and nearly cracked one of my ribs. :D There was a young couple wearing Braves gear right across the aisle from me. They were also crying, especially the girl, but obviously a different kind of tears.

#287 BrooksBall, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  8. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Man I can't wait for Monday ... I am pumped that its on ESPN2 so I don't have to watch on my Slingbox either! :D

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

10. MadMax

my son and i (he was 5 at the time) stayed the whole game. we were jumping up and down hugging each other. great day! one i'll never forget.

11. juicystream

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OMf3p4k5SRY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OMf3p4k5SRY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm beyond ready for the season to start.

12. BrooksBall

Sweet vid.

But why did the train run through the Wahoo logo? They barely ever play the Indians. The Cards and Reds logos made sense. I was expecting the last one to be the Cubs or something.

I see the vid is from 2006 but it still doesn't make sense unless I'm forgetting something.

13. juicystream

Same here. I figured they would just run through the whole Central division.

I love baseball season. I'm approaching it with the highest optimism.

14. right1

right1 Member

I was wrong about Abercrombie earning a spot on the team. Well...not really, he did earn one. He gets squeezed out by Bourn, Erstad and Michaels. Probably should have spent the Michaels $ on some pitching or 3B (although, the Keppinger acquisition mighy turn into a good one.) I think Reggie was, is and will be adequate as a 4-5th OF. Would be nice to have SOME speed and power off the bench. Erstad and Blum are good guys to have off the bench, maybe Michaels...hope so. But, where do you get a SB or a HR off the bench when you need it?

Very excited about baseball season. I like the Pudge signing and Russ Ortiz has been kicking A$$ lately. Hampton even gave up 0 ER in 4 IP today. Wandy struck out 11 AA players and Berkman is back and healthy. Bourn has been hitting and stealing bases. Pence and Tejada are ready for big seasons. Hell...Keppinger could hit .320 and Matsui could tear it up as well. Have to admit this has the potential to be a very, very potent lineup.

Here's to a sweep over the Cubbies. :eek: !!! Let's go 'Stros.

15. MadMax

Because they were playing the Indians that night in all likelihood.

16. cmpatel

cmpatel Member

this may be a dumb question...but i know berkman had some injury issues within the past weeks...any news on his status fro tomm??

17. BrooksBall

That would make sense. I didn't think of that. Thanks.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

One of the best times of the year is when Castor27 closes this thread. :)

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

does Francoeur remind anyone of Ensberg?

haha his changes were moving his hands down, opening his stance, getting 2 eyes on the pitcher...and man, he has those crazy big eyes while hitting haha

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

AHHHHHHHHH! I had no idea the season starts tomorrow! :eek: :D :D :D

Man time has flown by. Now, I hope they pick up the games up here in Nacogdoches like they do for the Rockets. If not, I'm going to cry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.