1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Orioles

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 21, 2017.

1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I'm just messing with you dude :)

Your going to have to remind me about the double that Springer caught....Is that something we argued about? I remember claiming that Giles blew a save even though the runner was thrown out at home. I don't remember anything about a double.

#601 T for 3, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    bobrek likes this.
  2. conquistador#11

feels like we got swept in here. O's were hot, riding a 4 game winning streak.
    Good game today sans the pitching. Lance is still feeling uncomfortable.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

790 reporting Luhnow said Moran could be done for the season.

texans1095, T for 3 and CometsWin like this.
  4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

One loss. No big deal. Prayers for Moran.

#604 dandorotik, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

But the rant

6. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

It is becoming more and more apparent that we really need some pitching help. Getting healthy overall will help a lot but the deadline will definitely be exciting.

Yaosthirdleg and texans1095 like this.
  7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Ah, life's too short. If people want to be doom-and-gloom about the Astros, let 'em. Everybody processes losses in their own way.

I have to go to 17 games now b/c of the weekday game pass I purchased, so I have to learn to accept losses. Which is very tough for me.

Tomstro likes this.
  8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Astros bullpen is not championship quality, really needs help.

Marteen likes this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I don't remember who it was but someone said Giles (I think it was him) didn't have a 3 up 3 down inning because Springer made a catch on what could have been a double, :)

T for 3 likes this.
  10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Oh yeah, that rings a bell. Obviously, He gave up hard contact, that's a sure sign of his demise. Of course, I was right he fell off pretty quickly after that.

Uhhhhh, he did fall off, right?

11. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Agreed. You've got Harris, Devenski, and Giles who are relatively reliable. Then you've got Martes and Feliz who have big upside but are inconsistent. Sipp needs to go. Hoyt needs to go. Musgrove has potential as a relief option but might be better off starting in AAA. Gregerson is okay as long as he's not used in key innings often. I'd like to see two arms added out of Wilson, Hand, Rivero, Britton, Swarzak, Iglesias, Reed, Brach, Blevins, and Minor.

12. Buck Turgidson

Nobody has said that....so shouldn't you shut up now?

tellitlikeitis and NIKEstrad like this.
  13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Excellent in depth analysis.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Kershaw and Strasburg went down today. That could be a big story line.

One thing is for sure, the playoffs will likely reveal new weaknesses we did not anticipate. The smoke right now appears to be with the bullpen, not having a pinch runner, lefty in the bullpen, and a swing and miss ace, but what else may rear itself as the pressure builds. Base running still seems a little sketchy although it will probably take a back seat to roster holes. All in all though, these are minor doubts, some smoke, but no fire. I say go with what we got until it totally falls apart.

15. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

No. It sure does not seem to be. Putting peacock back in there will help. Devo is going through a bit of a dry spell. I wonder if it's just a bit of a slump or if batters are starting to figure him out. Or is it over worked.

I wonder if we need a bat for the stretch run. With Moran done and Correa out with the possibility he will not be 2017 Correa again until next season if we need to grab a bat if we end up not being able to get a pitcher.

Amazing how were are smoking the rest of the AL but it feels like we have weaknesses that could be exploited to our detriment come playoff time.

16. HstnSprtsFan101

Ehh I'd rather we do something before it totally falls apart lol. Pretty much in my opinion an elite lefty back end guy is a necessity (Britton or Wilson) a righty like Iglesias would be fine too. With McCullers & Keuchels health issues and Peacock & Fiers lack of playoff experience combined with the fact that they're both over exceeding expectations has to make most feel at least skeptical about the rotation.

We're a great time right now. Just gotta make sure we do enough to be that WS team. WS champs or bust. Cubs added Aroldis last year, let's add Britton. He's as sure of a thing as it gets. There aren't many great SP options available but adding an elite talent like Britton or Iglesias strengthens the staff greatly.

17. KeuchelForPresident

We are actually pretty fortunate that the pitching staff is showing its weaknesses as of July 24. That gives Uncle Jeff time to make the trades necessary to fix the situation. If Lance, Luke, Feliz, and the others were all lights-out this week, but then started falling apart in August, Uncle Jeff might be lulled into standing pat and then it'd be too late to do anything about it by the time playoff rosters are set.

Agree with Yaosthirdleg above, there are several quality bullpen arms out there and acquiring two of them is totally within reach of the Astros' resources. And in a way that does not mortgage the future.

With Keuchel, McHugh, Fiers, Peacock, and Morton/Martes as starters, there's no reason that Lance can't go on the 10-day DL and work at his own pace on coming out of this funk. Let him have a quality start or two at Corpus and then blow away the MLB competition in September. It's all good.

SWTsig and snowconeman22 like this.
  18. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Yeah, I'm very worried about LMJ and agree having him going on the DL for a bit while Keuchel, McHugh, Fiers, Peacock, and Morton can man the rotation.

19. HTM

HTM Member

@Castor27 needs to make the Phillies game thread!

I have a lot of interesting thoughts I need to share! :D