1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 6, 2008.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm leaning towards drivel from a newspaper owned by the same company as the cubs. I just don't see what the Astros can legitimately offer without gutting the minors even more than they already are.

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

just got a text from a friend that he heard richard justice on the radio talking about a deal where cleveland would send us 3 prospects for valverde and wiggy, and then us flipping those prospects plus pence for peavy being in the works. can anyone confirm they heard him say this?

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

valverde, wiggy, pence for peavy..

close. but i'd still pull the trigger.

hope so!

4. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

So who plays 3B, RF, and who closes?

This creates 3 other holes. I am not sure I'd be willing to do that.

5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

When you have the chance to add one of the best pitchers in the game, you do it, and worry about filling your other holes later.

6. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

We would be back to how we were in 05' if the Astros got rid of Wiggy and Pence, good pitching but no offense.Tejada cant hit anymore.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Yeah, that would suck. Who would want a team capable of going to the World Series?

Not saying we would become that just with Peavy, just pointing out that your statement is pretty silly. You've got to give up something though for one of the best, and Pence is what we're giving up. Wiggy is solid but pretty easily replaceable.

8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd take the 2005 team over any of the last 3 years.

You take pitching whenver you can get it.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and you'll all remember how brilliant madmax was for suggesting that we trade valverde for prospects and flip those for peavy. :D and also how he wanted to draft VY over Mario. something about a blind squirrel here.

i'm all about starting pitching. all about it. pair oswalt and peavy together for a few years..that's the goal. you worry about filling holes around the field as you go, because you'll have at least 3 years or so with those guys heading up your rotation. in this division, with milwaukee falling back, you're really going to be competing against the cubs. that rotation keeps you competitive.

if we were talking about trading pence for one year of peavy, i'd say no. but the guy is locked down to 5 years, i believe. make it happ'n, cap'n. me and my 8 year old approve. my 4 year old just says, "go astros!", which is a good start and i'm sure means, "hell, yes I want peavy!" in 4 year old speak.

11. MadMax

by the way...did anyone else actually HEAR this said on 790? were there any qualifiers? did they indicate the source for the rumor?? anything as to this at all?

12. msn

msn Member

13. MadMax

yeah, i saw that msn. but the guy is just saying he heard it on 790, right? i'm asking...did anyone else actually hear it?

14. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

A guy called in and asked Charlie if he heard that trade... Then Charlie complimented him on connecting some pieces. Those pieces being that the Indians are interested in Valverde and Wiggy. Then the fact that we would get prospects from the Indians that might be dictated by the Padres. Then in turn those prospects added to Pence, would be sent to the Pads for Peavy.

That was the conversation on 790 yesterday...

15. MadMax

so just one guy calling and proposing this on his own? no meat beyond that? no indication there's actual movement on this? just like a trade rumor thread in the GARM?

16. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

exactly. If something happens, it happens.

17. msn

msn Member

well, pooh.

18. MadMax

thanks...that's what i assumed. now back to regularly scheduled programming.

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

wait, this "A guy called in and asked Charlie if he heard that trade... Then Charlie complimented him on connecting some pieces." sounds like he's not proposing it but asking for verification of it.

20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

more Indians interested in Valverde rumors:

http://mvn.com/tribereport/2008/11/...lls-huff-honored-and-a-new-40-man-roster.html

There seems to be a few newish rumors floating around involving a potential big splash for a team hunting for a closer. According to the Houston Chronicle, closer Jose Valverde and 3B Ty Wigginton are both available in a trade. Valverde has finished tops in saves in the NL the past two seasons. He pitched a monstrous 72 IP this year, which is a ton for a closer, and saved 44 games. He did blow seven games, and had a high ERA (3.38) and WHIP (1.82). Here's the thing though...he's certainly top ten, and likely ranked ahead of closers such as Kerry Wood, J.J. Putz and every other closer listed that the Indians are thinking about. He's eligible for arbitration this year, and will become a free agent next year.

Ty Wigginton could be the third baseman we need. He's not overtly powerful, but has 25-homer power. Trading for both might be something the Indians are discussing.

The Astros are looking for young pitching, and would likely start at guys like Adam Miller and David Huff.

Wigginton made about 4 1/2 million last season, and should get a nice raise in arbitration. Valverde made slightly more at 4.7 million. It would probably cost the Indians 12 of their 15 or so free million, which likely means the Indians would be dealing from that point on to add bulk to their rotation.
    Will they make the move? Who knows, but it is an interesting possibility.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player?statsId=7151

News: Indians | Team has interest in Valverde [-]
    Impact: The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Paul Hoynes reports the Cleveland Indians have interest in Houston Astros CL Jose Valverde if he becomes available for trade.

I think CP's exactly right, probably someone connecting the dots. I've always maintained that the Astros are a legit dark horse in this race, and the Roy O-Peavy-Uncle Drayton connection cannot be dismissed off-hand.