1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

time to lock this thread!

2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amen! Let's play ball!

3. msn

msn Member

Can't wait for the first ST game.

4. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

It will be interesting to see how Ortiz/Backe/Hampton look, we need 2 of the 3 to be healthy and effective all season

5. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Hampton’s heartbeat fixes itself, clearing return

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ao_QuIpscywsfnsYZbcmgOA5nYcB?slug=ap-astros-hampton&prov=ap&type=lgns

KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP)—Mike Hampton’s irregular heartbeat has cleared up without a procedure, and the Houston Astros left-hander is headed back to spring training earlier than expected.

A test Monday in Houston showed that his heartbeat had returned to normal after a physical two days earlier revealed a minor irregularity. Instead of undergoing a procedure in which an electrical current fixes the heartbeat, Hampton passed a treadmill test Tuesday and was cleared to return to Florida.

Astros team physician Dr. Jim Muntz says the episode was common and similar to one experienced by former President George H.W. Bush, his wife, Barbara, and former NBA star Hakeem Olajuwon.

The 36-year-old Hampton is 141-105 with a 4.01 ERA in 14 seasons, although he has been slowed significantly by injuries the past four years.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Now if only his crappy arm would fix itself.

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Short Miggy interview from spring training:

<embed src="http://services.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/716758716" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=10224323001&playerId=716758716&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

At about the 2:30 mark, one of the reports confronts him a little about whether he used steroids and HGH, sort of suggesting he should come clean about it in order to move on completely. Miggy deflects the question.

"I always say what I say like I say..."

And Carlos Lee was apparently confused about when he was supposed to report to camp, according to Richard Justice.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/02/carlos_lee_is_a.html

#607 BrooksBall, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Astros void contact of Toby Hall

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Twenty-four hours ago, Toby Hall was eyeing a return to the field after a 30-day rehab program. But early Sunday morning, the plans changed, and now, Hall is preparing for right shoulder surgery.

"I've got to go get it done," Hall said.

The process may become complicated as time progresses. Hall, who while with the White Sox two years ago dislocated his shoulder and was sidelined for four months, now has a torn labrum that needs repair. He's definitely having the procedure, but who pays for it -- the White Sox or the Astros -- remains to be seen.

The Astros have voided Hall's contract and will likely make their case to the Commissioner's Office that the White Sox are responsible for Hall's shoulder condition and therefore should have to pay for the surgery.

Regardless, Hall is now officially out of the catching picture for the Astros, whose pool of candidates stands at three: Humberto Quintero, J.R. Towles and Lou Palmisano. Lou Santangelo also figures to get more playing time this spring with the Major League club in Hall's absence.

"Seeing where [Hall] is at this point, we're probably looking at him rehabbing to be a one-day-a-week guy," Astros general manager Ed Wade said. "You look at our catching situation, that really isn't our job description. We need someone that can go out there three or four days a week and catch."

As Hall packed up his locker Sunday morning, he expressed optimism for the future, even though this spring turned out to be a dud.

"Now it gives me peace of mind, after seeing the MRI and seeing what I've been dealing with for the last couple of years, puts me at ease about getting it fixed," he said. "I'm going to fly around this week and meet with a few doctors and try to narrow it down to see who's going to give me my future."

The Astros were intrigued by Hall this winter because of his extensive big league experience behind the plate, and saw him as a prototypical backup catcher. He could reappear in the Astros' plans at some point in the future, if he gets through the rehab process unscathed.

"We'll let the surgery play out," Wade said. "The way [team physician] Dr. Lintner described it, it's a minimum of four months before he's throwing. He doesn't really have a desire to play at Triple-A, and even if we were to nurse this thing along and he doesn't make our club and decided to go to Triple-A, he'll probably be very limited as far as what he can do. Once we see how the surgery goes, he'll be out there as a free agent."

Now that we are even thinner at the thin catching position, can we please make an offer to Pudge?

9. Raven

Raven Member

Has a schedule been released that shows which spring training games will be on TV?

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

dont want to toot my own horn....but.... :p

11. BrooksBall

No offense, but they were available players with high profile names. Thousands of Astros fans and beat writers were suggesting this for weeks if not months.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

that was almost 2 months ago, when nobody was talking about them. and it's not like i rattled off a grocery list of 30 names. i called for 2, and those were the 2 that were signed (maybe). whatever though, it's tough to get props in these parts.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

meant laundry list :D

14. BrooksBall

Props.