1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2017.

1. raining threes

Don't forget about Buskakas (Sp?)

I think he may end up being the closer we all want in a couple of years.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

Not sure how much it’s been discussed, but if Marlins go firesale on the league, I’d be first in line for Realmuto. Would be a lethal addition to our team, and makes sense given the landscape of the C position in the organization.

He’ll come at a premium cost, with 3-4 years left of cheap team management...but he could be worth it depending on the asking price.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

I just can’t imagine Astros landing Stanton. If they target an OF from Marlins it’s more likely to be Yelich. Either would be big additions.

BMoney likes this.
  5. conquistador#11

damn! that quote by Crane on stanton. Remember when you people would call him cheap and get on him for providing plastic hangers in their lockers and not wooden ones? Now Jim buying exotic tigers like he's Chapo.

Marteen, SWTsig and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Right now, he's the guy telling his girlfriend, "yeah, I'm a high roller. I'll take you next weekend to the Aquarium like I promised the last 4 weekends".

Meanwhile, Tilman Fertitta is like "I'm the one that owns the damn tigers in this town!"

Crane then says, "I got the girl the girl though."

#546 Joe Joe, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

If you know that the teams interested in Stanton are likely your playoff competition for the next decade then showing interest makes sense. At a minimum it should make the other teams bid slightly more.

Nook likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Crane spent ~$20M more on payroll in '17 than Fertitta is. ;)

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Houston’s offense after adding the two hitters linked to Houston this week:

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    RF Stanton
    SS Correa
    DH Gattis
    1B Gurriel/Marwin
    LF Reddick/Marisnick
    C LuCroy/McCann

3 Hall of Famers in their prime. 7-8-9 of Gurriel, Reddick, Lucroy. Insane.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

My vibe from that article is it's not close to happening.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It was a joke about the tigers, but I'm pretty sure Fertitta has spent slightly more on the Rockets in 2017 than Crane has on the Astros. Does Fertitta still have tigers?

#551 Joe Joe, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  12. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Great. If Crane is saying the Astros can afford to take on $300 million for a MVP, then sign up Altuve long term.

samtaylor, awc713 and Joe Joe like this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’m in dream mode. Crane is drunk on power and the financials are turning out much better than he expected. He’s got the coin to take on Stanton AND extend Altuve and Correa.

DoitDickau likes this.
  14. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

15. awc713

awc713 Member

Would love Stanton in HOU, but it ain’t happening. Just a stunt to up the price across the board, and I dig it.

We have the payroll capacity and prospects to make for MIA’s best trade partner. That in and of itself should scare teams and up the price.

I don’t think we move for Yelich, we have hopefully him in Tucker. Realmuto would be a nice get, though.

kaleidosky likes this.
  16. Marteen

Marteen Member

Stanton would be awesome but that contract is yikes. Most likely say goodbye to Tucker, huh? Hopefully not Whitley as well.

Hopefully this just drives up the price for the Yankees and Dodgers.

17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I think the return package isn't going to be what most people think. The Marlins are either going to have to eat some serious money to get some good prospects (e.g. the Verlander deal) or the package isn't going to be a bunch of blue chippers.

Nook, Joe Joe and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think people tend to focus only on the players/prospects. $295 MM opportunity cost and how it is divided is more important than the prospects. That would get Minor, Reed, Davis, and Morrow in free agency and still have 130 million or so left after revamping the bullpen.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Stanton is only really under contract for 3 more seasons, then he has an opt out which he will almost assuredly exercise if he plays up to expectations. You are only gonna pay that other 200 million if something goes wrong, which is one hell of a downside risk to take on.

We got plenty of other in house guys to give money to.

awc713, Nook and Joe Joe like this.
  20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm not interested in Stanton. Yes, we would have a video game like lineup. However, in the real world Stanton is going into his 9th season. He has only played more than 145 games 3 times. I'm not interested in a 30 million a year guy on the disabled list.

Marlins are being smart. They are selling high.

I think it was a stupid statement by Crane. You basically said we can add 25-30 mil in payroll.... meanwhile you haven't locked your own MVP up. Boras probably printed Crane's comments out about being able to afford Stanton for when he asks for the moon for Altuve.

kaleidosky and conquistador#11 like this.