1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 5, 2006.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

A-Rod would have to agree to a trade. That said, if he were to become a 'stro IMO it would take a 3-way deal with Lidge, and both other teams being NLers.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Does he have a no-trade contract?

Also, why the inherent "3-way trade" inflexibility.... unless you don't believe we have something (young pitching) that the Yankees covet.

Ah screw it... don't go after A-rod. The way the Tigers and A's are beating up on "superior" teams, I'd rather the Astros just build up their young players, add some cast-off veterans like Kenny Rogers, Frank Thomas, and Milton Bradley are... and let the success continue. ;)

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Actually, something I didn't think about till now... the Yankees getting EMBARASSED may just intensify their efforts to bring back Andy Pettite and Roger Clemens.

I couldn't see Andy going to pitch for any other team or leaving his family... but I wouldn't completely rule it out if Steinbrenner/Torre came to Houston on their knees begging for him to come back up north. His great admiration/loyalty towards those two may be enough to convince him.

And, once Andy goes... Roger won't be too far behind.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think even if they have overpay a Carlos Lee or Soriano, they should do it. They need a bog bat in the middle of this line up and the only way they're gonna get it done is by spending money. I will do them no good if they just go after another cheap option like Preston Wilson. They need a big name, proven RBI guy in the prime of there career and if they want that, they wil have to spend MONEY.

5. camisgirl

camisgirl Member

Would be awesome. I decided to play Pete Rose for once and I made a "bet" on baseball at the All Star break with a family friend. He is a Yankees fan so I told him that Detroit would beat them and go on to the WS. Of course I said it would be against us but you know how that went. So, I am pulling for Detroit to do this. That would be da shizzy.

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

They go back to the AL they'll both start showing they're age, well Roger more than Andy at least. With the success they've enjoyed here in the twilight of their career, why would they risk tarnishing their legacy by going back to the Bronx.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

A big name, proven RBI guy in the prime of his career... and you have to spend money for him. If that's the case, I wonder what Drayton is paying Lance Berkman these days... is he still using money, or is Lance accepting free hot dogs from the vendors?

Spending irresponsibly on free agents is the sort of flawwed logic that CRIPPLES teams that just dish out big contracts for the "hot" free agent, regardless of whether or not they're worth it.

Ask Seattle if they're loving Adrian Beltre or Richie Sexon.
    Ask the Dodgers if they're enamored with JD Drew.

You complain about the club going after Preston Wilson... but if the team had done NOTHING, and just simply put Luke Scott in LF for the entire year, they may be still playing right now.

Carlos Lee is a great player... so is Soriano. But, are either of them better than Lance Berkman? NO. Are either of them better than Pujols or Guerrero? NO. Thus, IMO, no team should be offering them the $15 million+ per year they're asking for... they're both NOT worth that much. (that being said, the club will go hard after Lee... but not to the point of overpaying).

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No doubt they wouldn't be as good... but the Yankees could be desperate. Regardless of what their numbers are, who do you think the Yankees would have wanted on the mound today: Roger/Andy? or Jared Wright.

As I said... if Steinbrenner/Torre begs them to come back, and makes them feel special, all bets are off.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

A-Rod has no-trade...3-way as I suspect Yanks would want a top starter (and Roy O is too dear a price IMO) and Lidge could bring pieces to piece together a deal...if SS A-Rod is worth having, and I suggest he is.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

IMHO Roger is a 3-month 6-inning pitcher. To come back IMHO Rocket needs to do so in June or July. AP will be pitching, and pitching well, next season - somewhere. Probably MMP IMHO.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I actually think Lidge is undervalued at this point... and likely won't fetch as much in trade returns as last year. At the same time, however, I believe that with some extra rest that he finally gets now, as well as continued work with his mechanics (which had improved a ton by the end of the year)... he can be very valuble to the 07 Astros.

If you can get a team who wants young pitching, the Astros can be in the drivers seat with any trade (since they have quite a few arms in the farm right now... none of them top shelf yet, but all with some potential).

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Bosox supposedly have Lidge targeted. Lidge likely to be traded and for good value not on the cheap IMHO.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Everything I've seen is that they would try to low-ball the Astros for Lidge, and if we didn't bite... they'd stick with Papelbon as closer (there's serious doubts whether or not his arm could throw 200 innings, with his splitter).

They're not ready to part with anything significant for him... and since the Astros aren't desperate to move Lidge no matter what, it better be for something they can actually use.

14. lalala902102001

Lidge for ARod. Consider it done.

15. camisgirl

camisgirl Member

I felt that way too once but I decided ARod is just not a right feel for our team. I hate to see Lidge go. I bet as soon as we do he snaps out of his funk and kicks are butts. If he goes to the AL it won't matter as much. Who would close? Think Wheels wants the job?

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because he hits HR's, gets RBI's, and is a proven hitter?

Since we don't have a lot of those, I can see why he seems like a misfit on the Astros. ;)

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Offer Lidge for ARod and George Steinbrenner might die from laughing too hard. I know the Yankees often overreact, but let's keep it in the confines of reality.

Lidge, in a down year, was a mediocre at best reliever in a substantially easier NL. ARod, in a down year, still had an OPS of more than .900 and plays two of the toughest positions to play (3B and SS). I know he can't ever bring full value because of his contract, but it's going to take way, way, way more than Brad Lidge.

18. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

Ensberg, Lidge, Lane, Taveras, Hirsh, Pence maybe Patton,its gonna take A LOT, but I think he would be huge here. If I was Purpura, I'd tell Brian Cashman, forget Berkman and Oswalt and start telling me who you want. If A Rod is truly available, you have to go get him.

19. camisgirl

camisgirl Member

Ha ha, ;p. I shouldn't even be in this conversation. It's not even a week after the last game and I am still loving everyone cuz I miss them. I hate the teams I get to watch. But at least it's baseball. I can't talk trade just yet.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm really looking forward to this year's ALCS... two teams that have good pitching, made up of a bunch of good guys that you like to root for.