1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[official] Astros offseason thread v.1.0

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2007.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Twiggy at second? Seriously?

2. Shaji

Shaji Contributing Member

ok you got me there, i shouldve done my research...but i stand by most of what i said. i dont think it should be an absolute priority to go get castillo. 2B defense isnt very high on our list of needs; we can certainly get by with loretta or even burke out there...

this is not to say that i wouldnt take castillo at all; if there is an opportunity to sign castillo on the cheap, i would take him over loretta. i doubt hell cost as little as loretta ($2.5M this yr vs. $5.75M for castillo), and i dont think that kind of money is worth better defense and a lateral move on the offensive side...our priorities lie in improving on our godawful rotation

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We should have got walt jocketty.

4. Akhorahil

Akhorahil Member

Oh I feel ya there... The rotation needs some work. I just don't see how your going to do that with the FA class that's out there this offseason. Next season should be an amazing market for starters though.

LOL I really don't think going the cheap route has ever worked for the Astros. The Astros can afford to spend 6 million on Castillo. Your really missing my point here. It's not Castillo vs. Loretta. It's a real leadoff hitter vs. nobody. We don't have one. We need one. Loretta is NOT a leadoff hitter. Pence certainly isn't one. Josh Anderson is the most qualified in the entire organization. You want to put your money on him, that's fine.

I, personally, spend 6 million on Castillo. 6 million of the estimated 25-35 million the Astros are expected to spend this offseason. There is more than enough money to throw around.

Heck signing Castillo doesn't mean you can't get Loretta too. Use him at SS. He played SS most of this season anyhow. I bet, defensively, it's not that much different than Everett and Biggio. Which wouldn't be all that bad. You could trade Everett and Burke for a prospect or a reliever. Use Bruntlett to backup the middle infield. I mean if that's what you want to do.

But just think about that 6 million for a second. 6 million on a 3 time all star, 3 time gold glove winner, one of the best leadoff hitters and 2nd basemen in the MLB. I'm going to say that's pretty cheap.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

[sarcasm]The Cardinals must have the worst owner in pro sports. I mean, the GM didn't wanna stay there forever?? They couldn't make it work??? Geez. [/sarcasm]

6. msn

msn Member

OK, so I'm leaving work last night around 9ish pm and I reach for the radio to hit 740am, and I realize, crap, I miss baseball.

Even when they suck, they've got me hooked.

7. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Everett and Ausmus need to go, bottom line. Defense is sooo overrated in baseball, OPS and slugging are way more valuable, esp. in our home ballpark.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

this makes me smile. :) see. i'm smiling.

9. Akhorahil

Akhorahil Member

Well what do you think about taking another shot at Tejada!?!?!?!
    Surely the Orioles have become more reasonable and maybe they want to take their shot at ARod this offseason.

10. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

I guess no one likes my idea, but I still do. Tell me this wouldn't greatly improve our team, especially our chances in the playoffs:

We trade Pence and Patton for Johan Santana, sign him to a long term deal (and make the trade dependent on the fact that we can sign him long term)

And then after next year, when Peavy is a free agent, let him come back closer to home and one of his best friends, Roy O.

Sure, signing both Santana and Peavy will cost quite a bit (probably around 40 mil/year), but just think of our rotation:

Roy O
    Johan Santana
    Jake Peavy
    And then just fill in the blank for the last two, but Backe and Wandy at the back end of the rotation would be nice imo.

Those 3 would have to be up there for the best threesome in the history of baseball, at least comparable to Atlanta's dominating 3 throughout the 90s (Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz).

And although our offense would still not be much improved, we wouldn't have to rely on it as much, needing less runs to win. Thus I wouldn't envision it being the weakness that it is now. Just my two cents, let me know what you guys think.

11. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

pence for many years >>> santana for 1

could just sign peavy and santana when they are FA.

12. Akhorahil

Akhorahil Member

I don't know why people keep pushing this. I know the concept of getting Studs like that is exciting. But rein in your emotions people. The ONLY reason they would trade for either of these guys, with their contracts expiring, is if they are playoff bound with or without them.

I know several people think all we need is a #2 starter, I'm not one of them. The situation the Astros are in... it's going to take a couple of seasons to get back where we would all like them to be.

13. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I dont think it will take that long - plus I doubt McLane wants to play 3rd fiddle to the loaded Rockets and surging Texans.

Id go after Santana in a second - so long as he would agree to something long-term.

Since Bags and Bidge are gone, my only loyalty lies with Roy O. Everyone else should be considered in a trade - you have to give up something to get something.

14. msn

msn Member

Respectfully yours,
    Jason Jennings

:D

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

The problem with this, is that you just added about $200 million to the payroll in two players. We would be paying three starting pitchers around $300 million. It would be awesome if we could do that, but it's unrealistic.

16. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

This is true, but looking at it at a yearly payroll, we are only looking at 35-40 mil for both of these guys per year. Of course I say only because it isn't my money. But if you think about it, the added revenue we would get from these guys definitely offset their salaries. Uncle Drayton got real lucky this year because he was able to ride Biggio for ticket sales and revenue (but then again he has paid Biggio quite hansomely over the years so you can debate Drayton deserves it). But if we have the same year next year, there will be absolutely no one at games, and that would kill revenues big time. Drayton is a money man and a successful business, yet sometimes I feel he doesn't understand that it takes money to make money. So sure you are paying a lot for these 2 guys, but I think it is very reasonable when you are talking about their net cost.

And I would use this same argument for A-Rod, and say that he is totally worth a 10 year/$300 mil investment. You start taking into account all the money he will make us (more tickets, jersey sales, more concessions because more people are going to the games, more sponsors, and then we get national attention, we will be on ESPN a whole lot more), the annual salary is tremendously lowered. Just my opinion, and it's a lot easier when it's not my money.

17. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

i hear this same stuff then turn around and the same person is complaining about athletes being overpaid and them complaining about higher ticket prices etc...
    come on dude what you just said has been said before. can't buy rings look at the yankees.

18. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

I don't remember complaining about the stuff you mentioned. All I was saying is that if you look at these signings/transactions as strictly business moves, they make sense. And obviously they would make sense as baseball moves.

And I don't consider myself trying to "buy championships" either. I am saying that this team has holes (as does just about every team), so why not try to fill these holes with arguably the best pitcher and best hitter out there right now? I guess if going after a free agent or two is trying to buy a championship, I am guilty here. And if you look at the Yankees, sure they spend a whole lot of money, but their core (Jeter, Posada, and Rivera) and a few others (I think Joba Chamberlain, Philip Hughes, and possbily Robinson Cano) were all developed in the Yankees farm system. The free agents they do go out and get just don't pay off, because they give tons of money to old players past their prime (Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, and hell you can even say Roger).

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Don't use the Yanks argument.. they're paying a ton for Abreu. Johnny Damon. That's 2 of their 3 OF's. Obviously ARod is the highest-paid...and he's their best hitter in the middle of that lineup. Pulled Mussina off the O's. Had Flash Gordon as their setup. Giambi was at the core of that lineup for years...jacked him from the A's. Aside from Flash, I just listed 5 absolutely top-dollar free agents off the top of my head...and that's just from this year's roster (ok again, except for Flash). Every teams will have at least a few homegrown guys...it's the fact that they go for TOP notch FA's that makes them buyers of championships (or championship tries)

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

In terms of your general argument.. well first, you're basing this on an assumption that Peavy will come here. What if we're outbid past our max? What if he wants to stay where he is after they win the WS next season? Lots of question marks... but then you've mortgaged the future in Pence and Patton...for Santana and Oswalt. And you're left with a payroll near its limit that can mayyybe afford one more big piece IF it's as close to a sure thing as you can get... and you're stuck with a still VERY mediocre lineup, at best. This season sans Pence? :::shudder:::

Salaries in general... Berkman, Lee, Oswalt are already high-priced...Lidge is paid a decent amount. Have we ever had 5 very-high-priced players on the team? I just don't know if it's in the budget while still keeping the rest of the team at a reasonable skill level..

Maybe the best case was 2001 with Bidge/Bags/Reynolds/Astacio/Lima, but they were kinda above average...not extremely high.

How much salary is opening up anyway? Jennings...who else with a high price tag?