1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yes, he had that 10/300 from Washington. And i suppose the whole world is wrong on the offers he is receiving right now. But if he does have a $330 million offer right now and he is sitting on it, i'd be among the millions who is shocked

2. The Beard

How would it affect Osuna I wonder. Doubt Kimbrel would sign if he wasn't the closer. In the perfect world those things don't matter, in the mlb world in many cases it does

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s crazy to me that Houston only has 1 guaranteed contract on the books after 2020. Future payroll commitments:

2019: $157.7M (all 25 guys plus McCullers and Smith)
    2020: $84M (Altuve, Gurriel, Reddick, Springer, Brantley, Devenski)
    2021-2024: $29M/yr (Altuve, includes his signing bonus)

4. HTown2017Champs

Osuna would likely be demoted to 8th inning, Pressly to 7th/"strand baserunners," Rondon to middle relief. Would not be opposed, can never have too many elite relievers.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

"The Yankees and their $58 million dollar bullpen like this post."

6. HTown2017Champs

I meant, if the price is right. Kimbrel won't be cheap, but the others we have on bargain deals.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't see it as crazy at all. If you try and even conservatively estimate the arbitration salaries coming next year and beyond it gets $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ real quick.

In 2021 it's not unreasonable for Osuna to be making 11-13 million, Bregman to make nearly 20 million, Correa to make 15-20 million, McCullers to be over 10 million, Devenski to be near 5 million, and guys like Diaz and White would also be in arbitration if they are still on the roster.

On the high end that is 70-80 million for players that cost you under 20 million this year.

8. raining threes

Fine,

White was terrible in the playoffs. He hits 4th/5th starters and middle/long relievers well. I guess there's value in that if you're into that kind of stuff. Numbers sometimes lie and White is just an avg guy.

texans1095 likes this.
  9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

A) every major leaguer hits BOR starters and long relievers better than aces. Nearly every major leaguer is worse in the playoffs. If that’s your definition of average then that’s a ridiculous argument

B) Tyler White hit .231/.444/.308 in the 2018 playoffs with a 105 WRC+ vs Gurriel’s .226/.333/.387 line with a 98 WRC+. White was hardly terrible in the playoffs getting on base 44% of the time.

Hey Now! likes this.
  10. The Beard

Oh yea that's exactly what would happen. And no i wouldn't be opposed at all

What i'm saying is Osuna would be opposed, he would be pissed. No, it doesn't necessarily matter, other than keeping everyone happy

11. The Beard

Looking at the small sample size of his playoff stats is nuts, it means literally nothing

Small sample sizes in baseball tell you zero

Hey Now! likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

I look forward to watching these guys play games. Hopefully their FoBLAP can translate to actual baseball.

eric.81 and The Beard like this.
  13. raining threes

Tell me about 2017 before he broke the hammate bone in his hand?

Gurriel will be better this yr now that he's a year removed from that injury.

White? Hopefully avg at best.

Game 5? I need some highlights.

houstonstime likes this.
  14. raining threes

Go full on nerd if you like.

15. astros123

astros123 Member

this was NEVER confirmed. Im almost certain this was a hush hush deal that was offered with the intention of neither party ever signing that contract. the nats get to look good in front of their fanbase that they attempted to retrieve harper at the same it was SUPPOSE to creat a fake bidding war. Boras has a long history of leaking bullshit contracts that his player would never sign. Are you all forgetting the bullshit numbers that were leaked out of houston when beltran became a free agent in 2005 before he signed with the mets? This is what boras does for a living. The difference is that this time it backfired

16. awc713

awc713 Member

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He's had 18 postseason plate appearances. 18, man..... And, And, AND! he totaled a .752 OPS in those 18, which is decidedly NOT terrible...

BTW, care to roll through your memory bank and pick the biggest regular season home run from last year? Hint: Gurriel did not hit it...

You're literally making up nonsense, from this fantasy that Gurriel is suddenly going to hit 20 HRs (which he hasn't done since '12) to the idea that White apparently plays in a different universe than his teammates, a universe in which he's conveniently fed a healthy diet of sub-mediocre pitchers....

I have no idea what Tyler White is going to do in 2019. But he's hit at every level - including for a very long stretch in the Majors last year - and deserves the chance to prove it wasn't a fluke. He's younger & cheaper than Gurriel and the kind of player the Astros desperately need if they want to keep their talented core together.

#3737 Hey Now!, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  18. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Oh I don't think he got a $330M offer...I think if anything he regrets passing on that $300M and Washington has since then taken the offer away once they realized no one else is offering that type of cash up.

19. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I'm too lazy to look up the stats but wasn't he not so great defensively at SS? Not that this matters in comparing the two but I'd also add "both have attitude problems" and I'd rather pay Nolan Arenado next year over both Harper and Machado.

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I saw an article on his defense during the off season or maybe the playoffs. His SS defense got much better when he was a Dodger. The article said that in Baltimore they weren't as big in the analytics and didn't have him move around like the Dodgers did. He bought into their system of knowing the signs from the catcher, anticipating where the ball would be hit, and moving around for the different hitters.