1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. awc713

awc713 Member

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Source: #Braves is one of the teams that has shown interest in the Venezuelan Marwin Gonzalez, but has not made any offer. Gonzalez remains a free agent and waiting for a contract in MLB.

4. astros123

astros123 Member

anyone see bregman's newest gig that he posted today? Guy took time out of his schedule to go and take photos with his fans were graduating high school. dude is a legend and will soon be the face of baseball. Hes the ONLY baseball player that puts out the content that he does on social media.

bregman will make harper/machado look like peanuts in a few years.

Marteen and HTown2017Champs like this.
  5. HTown2017Champs

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If the Phillies signed Harper, Keuchel, and Kimbrel (likely a $450M+ total commitment) they’d still be projected to win ~7 less games than Houston is right now.

No Worries likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not sure I would go with Keuchel with that money, but do expect them to add more than Harper or Machado.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

10. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

Anyone willing to post this article?

K-Low_4_Prez likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

He was a big guy in HS, then he lost lower body weight...now he's put the muscle back on and training with the trainers...

12. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Haha yup, that's about it.

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I still think we should make a run a Keuchel... dude is going to be a bargain for somebody.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Machado is really only sitting on one offer and it’s for $175M/7yrs, Houston should get in the mix. Very, very likely that he is worth at least $225M over the next 7 seasons. I have no idea how they’d fit him into the lineup (option Diaz, Machado gets 50 games at DH (White sits), 50 at SS (Correa DHs, White sits), 50 at 3B (Bregman plays RF, Reddick sits), but if his price really is that low, it’s worth pursuing.

Nippystix likes this.
  15. HTown2017Champs

No thanks. Altuve/Bregman/Correa/Gurriel/Diaz/White is already a great infield. We don't need an expensive, dirty-playing troublemaker. IF we have to make a run at one of the superstars, Harper is the one. Open to it if the price is right.

16. awc713

awc713 Member

Sounds like PHI is ready to spend the big bucks, they’re just waiting for another team to force their hand. The leaked CWS offer is a non-issue. Machado’s agent’s reaction reflects that, IMO. No need to outbid yourself. The big offer is coming, it’s just not on the table yet.

Rest of the offseason predictions:

PHI signs Machado and Kimbrel
    LAD signs Harper
    LAA signs DK
    SFG signs Pollock
    CHC signs Ottavino
    SDP signs Moose
    TAM signs Marwin
    Realmuto starts season in MIA

17. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Good predictions. Interesting. You don't have CWS, WSH or HOU signing any of them?

I also think that HOU is more likely to go the trade route, but Crane seems to think we will get 2 players before the end of the month. Being the case, it seems likely that at least one of these 2 would be a FA.

HTown2017Champs and awc713 like this.
  18. awc713

awc713 Member

Funny thing is, I had WAS signing Ottavino and Marwin before tweaking it. CHC’s bullpen needs is a bit more dire, and I don’t think TAM is done just yet. I think once CWS is out on Machado and Harper, they’ll backtrack and not sign anyone significant. I don’t see HOU biting on any big fish, unless DK can’t find a 5th year and the 4y deal is palatable. I think HOU signs/trades for 1-2 low risk innings eaters/ late inning arms just as insurance, and will try to get a legit arm as the year unfolds. It wouldn’t surprise me to see us try to pry Archer from PIT midseason and let Strom work his magic.

19. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I don't think we will sign any inning eaters. We have a lot of young arms we can throw innings, even if they don't have MLB experience. IMO, we either trade for a SP3/4 or we just stick with what we have and attempt a trade for a SP1/2 prior to the deadline.

I do think we are in hot pursuit of a DH upgrade. Machado or Harper could fit that role. As long as the market refuses to shell out large 8+ year contracts to these star athletes, I think we stay in the hunt.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Assuming we want our pitching staff to equal last years level, we have to replace DK, Lance and Morton for 2019.

Yes, we do have some young arms. But all combined, I dont see them replacing the quality innings of the 3 aforementioned. Add to this that Joe Smith is out until late June and Martes till August. Some of it maybe. But should these newbies not hit the road running, we could get very thin very fast.

Considering all of the above at least one if not 2 guys are needed IMO. Trade, FA, whatever. But some inning relief is needed badly.

everyday eddie likes this.