1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 4, 2010.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Yes it is. Crawford is young (only 29, only a year older than Bourne) and in his prime.

I suspect that the Red Sox and the Yanks will enter a bidding war, which the Astros rightfully won't enter.

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

A team picking in the top half of the draft loses a second rounder, not a first.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

The thing with Crawford is that most are predicting he will ask for a 7 YEAR 126 MILLION dollar contract. I am very skeptical about a guy who relies on his legs so much and reaches 30. This could turn into Caballo all over again by the time he reaches year 5, 6 or 7 of his contract and while I think he is probably going to be a better hitter, injuries also a concern ala Carlos Beltran.

It is VERY intriguing but I'd rather draft smart at this point, remember the club is still rebuilding so signing a guy like CC is more of the missing piece to a title rather then a rebuilding piece. Actually been hearing Yanks and Sox aren't going to pursue him this offseason so it should be interesting to see who does go after him.

4. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

Wow, the Crawford Boxes would be the new Carl fan club out there in LF. Wish it was doable. Crawford/Bourn/Pence would be a first-tier OF. Easily.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The Astros can not lose the 11th pick. We would surrender the 9th pick in the 2nd round instead.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You both are correct. My bad.

Still, considering what Crawford will likely command, I'd rather continue stocking the farm.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

There is no way I would sign Crawford unless he was willing to take a massive hometown discount (on the order of six years/$70M), and I doubt playing in Houston is that important to him. He's going to get paid.

8. RocketMania1991

There is no logical reason to bring in Crawford.

You currently have an over-paid left fielder witch which you are stuck with.
    Realistically you aren't going to compete for a championship until Lee's contract is up anyway.

Why would you go and give almost a near identical contract to Carl Crawford when we are currently paying Carlos Lee?

We arguably had a better team when we gave Lee that contract than we do right now.

This would not make us anywhere near a contender.

Save the money, sign all the draft picks.
    Let the farm system pan out.

1 person likes this.
  9. zlicciardo

zlicciardo Member

how about bill hall as next years geoff blum?
    he had a good year he had 18 homeruns...he would absolutely love the crawford boxes, as he did when he played for the brewers...

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

So, how about Hunter Pence's WAR since he entered the league: is it too late to teach not to go golfing so often or too early to trade him?

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Pitching, pitching, and more pitching.

Look at the Padres, our offense could not be any worse than theirs anyway but they have great pitching which almost took them to the Playoffs.

Phillies are winning because of their pitching not their offense.

I'd rather sign a good pitcher than Crawford.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

What's wrong with Pence's WAR? He's not a star but every season he has had over 3 WAR, that's a good player.

I wouldn't mind trading him for the right return, but it would have to be pretty good...

13. Buck Turgidson

What is it good for? Absolutely nothing.

14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Agreed about Crawford... but the other thing the Pads have is Gonzales. We don't have anyone in our lineup that genuinely scares anyone. We shouldn't start sucking our own popsicles if we get a legit #2 or 3 starter this offseason... until we can get that terrifying bat*.

*And no Crawford is not it. Great player... but he'll cost too much and doesn't drive in enough runs or hit for a ton of power.

15. eric.81

Good call. I like this idea.

16. zlicciardo

zlicciardo Member

I think this could be a great signing Bill Hall crushed the ball over the green monster last year in limited PA i think he could easily put those numbers up again and possibly more...he wont ask for a lot im thinking maybe 2 -3 million if that...if he could hit the green monster so easily i think he could hit 20-22 homeruns next season for us. He also is versitile as they come as he played every position last year except 1st base and catcher, hell he even threw a hitless inning in relief lol...

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

He'll always be an easy strikeout for a pitcher with a decent curveball or slider.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The Padres had Gonzalez last year and we still had a better offense than they did.

19. eric.81

Understood... I just don't think we're going to make any noise until we have that bat. Look at the teams still playing, or even that made the playoffs. The Giants are the only team without a hitter that puts the fear of God in the opposing pitcher and their pitching staff is light years ahead of ours.

On a different topic, I'll again support the Bill Hall idea. It doesn't make us a world series contender or anything, but it makes us significantly more "frisky."

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Agreed