1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 4, 2010.

1. msn

msn Member

Disingenuous. Lyon was by all accounts signed to be the closer, and he finished the year as the closer after starting on the DL. He's probably the closer right now, too.

Maybe. But do please learn the difference between "of" and "have". Not directed at you specifically, but the general confusion of these words on the 'net is just supremely annoying to me.

2 people like this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Lyon was signed as a closer and is the closer. Signing a free agent for $5,000,000 is different than giving up two prospects and paying $5,000,000.

Hardy has had back to back unproductive injury filles years in a row.

3. RocketMania1991

Still I don't see how paying 5 millon dollars is much at all for a starting SS who is still far better than anyone we currently have, and has a chance to perform at an all-star level.

I'm not saying paying Lyon 5 million is overpaying him, but many people criticized the signing because we don't need to waste money on a closer when the team isn't going to competing for anything major in the coming years.

4. RocketMania1991

I wouldn't consider what the Orioles gave up as prospects.

They were straight scrubs.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

god does it nauseate me when people make posts like this.

not every anonymous "'net" poster is as intelligent, and perfect as you, nor do they have as great of a grasp of the English language. deal with it, and, more importantly, get over yourself.

6. msn

msn Member

I'm so glad I could serve you!

This is so awesome, how every time someone points something he gets yelled at for thinking he's "perfect". Do find something original, m'kay?

*waaaaaaaa* *sniff,sniff* *waaaaaaaaaaa*

Get yourself a nice barf bag, because I'll point out ridiculous abuses of the English language whenever I see fit. You deal with it and get over yourself. And quit your crying.

7. msn

msn Member

Perhaps. But does dealing minor league players for a veteran go against what you're trying to accomplish?

Just playing a little devil's advocate; I don't have much of an opinion on it, nor do I know how hard (if at all) the Astros went after Hardy.

8. bobrek

It certainly doesn't hurt for posters to learn something every now and then. You never know, knowing the correct usage of words or phrases could help some posters get better grades.

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

give me a break. nobody, and i mean nobody, who corrects people's grammar on here are doing it for the mistaken one's benefit. they are doing it because there is some malfunction in their life where they feel compelled to rub it in the other person's face, and prove how smart they are and how perfect their grammar is. msn even said himself "the general confusion of these words on the 'net is just supremely annoying to me". it was for his own self-serving, holier-than-thou interests - not because he had a genuine care to help the poster with their grammar.

10. bobrek

It hurts my eyes to see "would of", "alot", "seperate" and other common mistakes. It would be a much better Internet if folks would learn proper grammar and spelling. It is anoying to see and when the mistakes are obvious (i.e. not just a typo), regardless of why someone does it, pointing out the mistake should help the person being corrected.

If you correct someone, is it always for you own good? If one of your co-workers constantly made grammatical errors, you would be showing how smart you are by pointing out their errors?

11. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Pendleton has a strong fastball, good sinker and good command. The rest of his pitches are mediocre. But you only need two good pitches to be effective out of the bullpen.

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Rangers about to have a emergency press conference.........hmmmmmm

13. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

LOL, they had a conference call to say that they have made an offer to Lee and he is weighing his options.

14. rockets934life

How exciting... :rolleyes:

15. msn

msn Member

I care about the English language. So sue me. There is no "malfunction" in my life, so can the psychobabble. Despite how smart you seem to think you are, you have no clue about my motives or who I am.

I corrected grammar and admitted it irritates me. You've gone judgmental, and then ironically called me "holier than thou". One of us questioned someone else's character. None of us questioned anyone's intelligence.

Take your own advice: get over yourself.

16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Somewhat. I agree in theory with your post but in practicality trading two relievers (minors or majors) for an everyday player like Bartlett is a trade almost any GM would make. Bartlett was an all-star LAST season. Hardy was an all-star 3 seasons ago and is still in his 20's. They both play SS, a premium position.

Even at last year's production, they're better options than Barmes and then also have all-star level potential.

Relievers are by far the most replaceable players on a team. Everyday premium position players are among the most difficult to acquire. The fact is either of our Rule V picks could have seasons as good as the relievers in those trades.

17. rockets934life

I agree with this, not getting Bartlett or Hardy isn't going to kill my expectations for next season but after all the talk about upgrading the middle infield positions, two obvious upgrades were right there and no dice. If they had a guy at AAA that could be that upgrade then i'd pass, much like Wallace, but unless they think Albert Cartwright can be that guy at AA, I would have liked them to make a move for either one of these two.

18. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Ed Wade needs to pull a "Randy Wolf" on Cliff Lee 7 Year $180 mil deal just to F@%^ with the Yankees and Rangers and then pull the offer after they raise the ante.

19. Buck Turgidson

Then why did only 1 GM make that trade? I'm confused.

Do you really feel that JJ Hardy or Jason Bartlett or Clint Barmes will/would be meaningful pieces of the Houston Astros 2 years from now? If so, puff puff give. If not, why does it matter, really?

Bullpen depth is one of the few real strengths on this team (a team with some questionable starting pitching, to say the least) going into the season. Do you think that maybe a team with potentially a handful of pretty good relievers might just be able to do some more damage later in the season by dealing the "replaceable" hot hand to someone in a pennant race? Perhaps they maybe might could possibly be sorta thinking about trying to get something better and younger than JJ-Hardy-level talent?

20. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Most teams didn't need to make that trade because their middle infields aren't awful like ours. I'll qualify it for you, any GM with our infield SHOULD make that deal every time.

Yeah? By the same token imagine Bartlett puts up an all-star season and near the trade deadline Boston or NYY needs a player like him (good hitter and can backup a middle infield spot). We flip him and will have a) gotten nearly a full season out of him and b) got a hell of a larger return back than we would on two relievers. Omar Infante yielded Dan Uggla and Jason Bartlett is better than Omar Infante.

Personally, as a fan I'd much rather watch Jason Bartlett play everyday (1000+ innings per season) than Clint Barmes and two relievers that will pitch a combined 140 innings tops.