1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. raining threes

I just hope they dont bring Castro back.

Smacktle, donkeypunch and No Worries like this.
  2. ktex

ktex Member

God, me too. He's horrible.

3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Treinen is a Dodger

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

1 year for 10M. Guess dodgers banking on him to return to 2018 form.

5. prospecthugger

Eh, I tend to think that people overrate 'messages to free agents.' It seems like 95% of decisions come to money and competitiveness. It's not like they would be trading Brantley to Detroit or anything. If any free agent was really concerned about it, I'm sure the Astros could assuage them with a no trade clause. It would have taken a perfect storm of moves to work, and with Rendon off the board, it probably doesn't make sense now.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Trading Correa now is a similar mindset the Pirates had when dealing Cole.

A thus far good, but not amazing, former #1 pick who while still inexpensive... could be more expensive a year from now before he hits free agency where he's unlikely to sign an extension prior.

The Cole trade (and the subsequent collapse of the Pirates organization) is probably the worst case scenario when trading flawed club-controlled players... but you have to acknowledge the possibility of that playing out since we all witnessed it first-hand.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

FWIW, the Astros wouldn't be trading Correa for prospects, we would be doing so to acquire major league talent and then using the extra cash to acquire more talent.

The possibility certainly exists that he manages to stay healthy and wins an MVP award. Nobody can question his performance when healthy, and he's just entering what should be a hitters prime age. But I'm certainly in the camp that simply has no faith in him to stay healthy (although I have no personal issue with him like many around here do). So if a good deal presents itself that's a risk I would be willing to take.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The Pirates regret likely isn’t in trading Cole, but in the prospects they got in return. If they had gotten JD Davis, Myles Straw, and Josh James instead of Moran, Martin, and Feliz, they would likely be totally satisfied with the trade despite Coles improvements afterward.

Houston would in a similar situation in the sense that it wouldn’t matter if Correa put up 2 mvp seasons after being traded; it would only matter what the Astros got in return. If they trade him for Castillo and Castillo turns into a top 10 Cy young guy, it doesn’t matter how well Correa plays.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I wouldn’t mind Houston taking on David Price (assuming Boston picks up at least half of his contract). He’s probably got enough left in the tank to be a solid #3 for the next couple of seasons.

No Worries and desihooper like this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If the Angels sign Ryu and Puig they would be right there with the Yankees and Astros. If they don’t add a good SP, OF, and a RP, they are monumentally stupid and pound foolish.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  11. Jay713

Jay713 Member

They need more than that to be on the same tier as us and the Yankees.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Dang, just saw that Austin Romine signed with Detroit. I don't know how well of a defensive catcher he was but he could hit.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

And if Cole didn't improve, they would have been perfectly happy with Musgrove who is still pitching for them while Cole is in NY. Musgrove is more a 2 times through the order SP though (like most SPs), and his stats suffer from the Pirates mentality of keep him in until he gives up a bunch of runs.

14. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Fans up close should whistle or bang on something just to **** with the other team.

raining threes, desihooper and jklb like this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Right now they are projected to be ~10 wins behind the Astros. Adding a 3 win pitcher, a 3 win OF, and a 1 win RP would put them within 3 wins.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It was a sell low deal... which is what the Correa trade would be as well.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Correa isn't making much this year... much less than what Cole was making at the same point when we acquired him. Certainly he has to prove to stay healthy to warrant any sort of long-term commitment, but I don't think its impossible he plays the majority of the next two years at a high level for whichever team he's on. I also think his improvement defensively (and overall value he adds with his arm) doesn't get enough credit.

18. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Astros were also projected to win the World Series last year. I’m just being a realist here.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm concerned that the uncertainty of what's coming with respect to MLB's response to the cheating allegations are going to have an effect on the willingness of free agents to sign here.

20. Nook

Nook Member

It depends on what you get in exchange. You don't move him just to move him. However if you believe you will not resign him (not likely) and you get back someone like Luis Castillo or another starter then you have to strongly consider it.

The Cole trade was made for prospects and was at the time obviously a light return. The Pirates felt compelled to trade him and that isn't the scenario for the Astros.