1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I actually disagree. The Yankees started winning when their largely home-grown core of Jeter/Williams/Pettite/Posada/Rivera started to mature... and they supplemented it with veterans (not high priced) such as Tino/O'Neil. THEN they went out and splurged on the big ticket items.

Yes, they had the resources to keep all those players and continue to add, which extended their window... but its largely what the Astros are trying to replicate with their now mature core and supplementing it with some medium and high priced veterans.

Ironically, when the Yankees stopped promoting/developing talent and just started signing or trading for the biggest FA year after year... they stopped winning titles regularly. They've re-committed to the farm, saved a lot of money over the last decade (Tanaka their last $100 million contract) and now are ready to spend again.

BMoney and Nook like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Mookie isn't that much better than Springer... its more of a lateral move that actually costs the Astros more money.

Would rather take that extra money and apply it towards a Springer extension.

4. Mattician

Mattician Member

The Astros need to make that move to still be in win now mode? George Springer isn't good enough? The World Series MVP?

Use the money for a Springer extension.

5. SS0101

SS0101 Member

That area of the country is probably the MOST biased/homer area in sports. I somehow stumbled upon a radio show the other day that was out of the Boston area (or at least the host was definitely from there) while they were talking about the most recent Patriots video issue. If you are unaware, basically there is some "third party" media production company who is doing a documentary on some Patriot's scout and they are following him around as he goes on his scouting missions. Well, they got caught video taping the Bengals sideline for almost a whole quarter, more specifically, they were recording coaches and signals. These clowns said..."you know why I dont believe it, because if the Patriots were going to cheat, it wouldnt be to beat the freaking Bengals. They dont have to cheat to beat the Bengals." Wish I would have gotten his name, because I would love to see what he had to say about the video of the Astros "cheating" against the 2017 WHITE SOX!

So anyways, this stupid hypothetical, is just that. Stupid and biased. Nobody in their right mind would do that trade. Springer was better than Mookie last yr. But of course everyone in Boston thinks Mookie is Trout level. Dumb.

6. Mattician

Mattician Member

Yeah, George Springer was having a MVP like season before his injury.

I remember some people saying Mookie Betts should get a Mike Trout like contract, if not more..

lw17 likes this.
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I wonder if the Astros can/will extend Springer. If Rendon is worth 35 million a year and is only 6 months younger than Springer I think Springer could get 28-32 million a year in free agency. Not sure the Astros will come close to that.

texans1095 likes this.
  8. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

How I hope the Astros spend the rest of the offseason.

Sign Jason Castro
    Re-Sign Will Harris
    Sign Daniel Hudson
    Swap Reddick for prospects
    Springer extension 5 yrs 160 mil

1. Castro
    2. Yuli
    3. Altuve
    4. Bregman
    5. Correa
    6. Tucker
    7. Springer
    8. Brantley
    9. Alvarez
    10. Stubbs or Garneau
    11. Diaz
    12. Straw
    13. Toro

14. Verlander
    15. Greinke
    16. McCullers
    17. & 18. Two of Urquidy, Abreu, James, Whitley, C. Perez, Martes, Peacock, etc
    19. Osuna
    20. Pressly
    21. Hudson
    22. Harris
    23, 24, 25 & 26. Amongst Peacock, Abreu, James, Devo, Biagini, etc

There’s going to be an abundance of starting pitching possibly available at the trade deadline: Boyd, Morton, L. CAstillo, the starters the Cubs/Red Sox/Indians can’t afford to keep

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They absolutely have to add a starting pitcher of some kind prior to opening day. They will not enter the season with a rotation of: 2 aces in their late 30s, a guy coming back from TJ, and 2 rookies.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

Still several good FAs available. We would have to do a *lot* of maneuvering to bring some of them in. Probably not worth it, but a few interesting ones caught my eye: Marcell Ozuna, Alex Gordon, Castellanos, Starlin Castro, Alex Wood, Rich Hill, Brandon Morrow to name a few.

#1110 awc713, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  11. HTown2017Champs

I'd look at Mitch Moreland, lefty 1B bat who had a great 2019 during the time he was healthy. Can move Gurriel to third and plug him at 1st when Correa gets hurt/if he does end up getting dealt. 1yr/8M does it?
    For SP, I'd love to sign Alex Wood to an incentive-laden deal, if he can get healthy he's great. Had an injury in 2016, then followed it up with two excellent seasons.
    Finding a way to get prospects is critical. Gotta reload the farm, especially since we've likely got punishment looming (ugh).

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Here are the remaining free agents I think would improve Houstons roster:

Josh Donaldson (could then trade Correa for pitching)
    Marcell Ozuna (could then trade Brantley or Tucker for pitching)

Jason Castro
    Martin Maldonado
    Robbie Chirinos

Ryu
    Keuchel
    Bumgarner
    Martin Perez
    Homer Bailey
    Alex Wood
    Miley
    Gio Gonzalez
    Rich Hill
    Brett Anderson
    Ivan Nova
    Jhoulys Chacin
    Blake Treinen
    Will Harris

Then there’s a big group of hitters (Puig, Dozier, Encarnacion, Castellanos, Frazier, Dickerson, Russell, Calhoun, Pillar, Smoak, Souza, Garcia, Kipnis, Flores, Iglesias, Duffy, Schoop, Franco, Gordon) who could be signed to allow Houston to trade another player for pitching, but it’s debatable if it would actually improve the team.

awc713 likes this.
  13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

The amount of big money contracts being thrown around in trade discussions may really slow down the free agent market and lower what teams can offer.

Kluber, Lindor, Price, Betts, Carrasco, The Chicago Cubs, Happ, etc

14. Major

Major Member

I don't think the Angels' goal is realistically to win the World Series this year, though. I imagine they still in the building phase.

15. Major

Major Member

Yeah, I don't know what the expectation was or why this would be a surprise to anyway. We all knew the Astros weren't going to keep all of their core - signing Verlander, Altuve, and Bregman, plus the trade for Greinke pretty much made this a foregone conclusion. If they figure out a way to extend Springer, it pretty much guarantees Correa will be gone at some point too. You just can't have 5-6 superstars in their prime at market value.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Imagine if instead of Pujols, Upton, and $40M left in the budget, the Angels had Cole and $54 million to spend. The former team looks cash strapped to me. The latter is probably a better team than the Yankees have right now.

18. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Realistically, I just don’t see how Astros can throw out 200M for a player this offseason outside of Cole. Now that he’s signed, my only splash move this offseason would be to extend Springer. If we can’t, gonna be hard to resign him after the season IMO. Only other splash move would be trading Correa for younger #2 or #3 SP. If not, I rather ride with Correa and hope he stay healthy enough to play 130 games. No more freak accident Mrs. Correa. He can put up MVP number one f he can play 130 games. And even if we trade Correa, I doubt Astros will even sign Donaldson. Rangers already said Donaldson is out of their price range. Must not be cheap. I think JL will just plug in Toro and see what he can do.

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The Astros should extend Springer, hold on to Correa for another year (unless you are blown away by an offer), and fill the rosters with a decent replacement for Chironos. Correa is MVP caliber when healthy. One healthy year and we get a real haul for him. With Correa we still have a devastating lineup. I think we should roll with Verlander and Greinke and continue to build our pitching internally.

everyday eddie and AznH-TownFan like this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Our chances of getting blown away are less a year from now.

mikol13 and desihooper like this.