1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2016.

1. raining threes

Well then tell us what you think the Rockies/Yankees would want in a trade.

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I think that core swapping Chris Sale for Bregman looks just as good or better.

Put yuli at 3rd and resign valbueno to pay 1st/3rd/UT and the offense wouldn't be too different from last year.

There's simply no replacement for acquiring a top 10 pitcher.

3. xcrunner51

Great point. I hope the FO can get the point across to Crane the need to make steady improvements to the team through trades and signings.

4. Progs

Progs Member

True. They also gave up their 2016 draft by signing good free agents with a draft pick tag.

5. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

My only inference is it's going to take a lot to get a # 1 type pitcher. If you assume I think all it will take is Springer and/or Gattis, well you are searching for something that isn't there. I'm not suggesting the package suitable to acquire a # 1, only that it's going to cost the Astros a ton of talent. And I'm hoping Bregman or Correa aren't involved.

6. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

I would expect the Yankees to be looking along the lines of Martes, Whitley, Abreu and M Sierra. Pineda is roughly the equivalent of McHugh, and that is about what I think the Astros would require in trade.
    I would expect the Rockies to be looking for a similar but slightly lesser package, like including K Tucker and removing Whitley and Abreu.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If Pineda is the equivalent of McHugh, why do we want him for 4 prospects?

raining threes and J.R. like this.
  8. xcrunner51

**Everyone is hoping that Bregman won't get traded.** At a certain point though you can't expect a team to take 4 quarters for a dollar. Or what a lot of people are proposing in 2 quarters and a ton of dimes. There's got to be a strong primary piece in a trade for a guy of Sale's stature and I'm starting to believe a package around anyone else but Bregman (excluding untouchables Correa/Altuve) doesn't get done.

Correa is untouchable and that's a non-starter.

9. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Trade for Robbie Ray.
    He's about to have a breakout season.

10. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

You are right. Solid #3 pitchers are a dime a dozen. I am sure the Yankees would be ecstatic to trade him for a long reliever, a back end top 100 prospect and a couple of spare parts. Heck, they might even throw in a couple of their top prospects.

You give up four quality prospects because Pineda is a valuable quantity, just like McHugh. If you think the Astros would not expect a similar package to trade McHugh, then I think you are fooling yourself. In the last three years, only 21 pitchers in all of baseball have produced more WAR than McHugh. He may not be a #1, but it sounds to me like you are drastically undervaluing him.

11. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

I thought about him, but he got owned at Chase Field. Our ballpark next year is going to be a hitter's park as well. So there's definitely cause for skepticism but I do like his strikeout ability.

12. Progs

Progs Member

People mentioning Bregman for Sale, is that what White Sox were asking for ??!

13. Progs

Progs Member

If I was the Astros I wouldn't trade anyone of their young core in the Majors nor Tucker for Sale. Everybody else would be on the table.

Speaking of the minor leagues, an outfield of Tucker, Martin and possibly Gurriel Jr could roam the outfield for Corpus Christi next year. That's if the Astros can sign Gurriel who some scouts think he is the best international free agent this year.

#133 Progs, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  14. Progs

Progs Member

15. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Step 1) Sign all the Blue Jays
    Step 2) Cut a hole in the box
    Step 3) Monkey**** the Rangers

16. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I'd trade Bregman and other prospects if Jose Abreu was also included with Sale/Quintana

17. raining threes

Take out P.Tucker and put in Cameron. I see Feliz as a Pineda down the road. Not as a long reliever/mop up guy. How do you see him?

Feliz, high end young starter with ace stuff.
    Fisher #5 prospect according to mlb.com
    Cameron #6 prospect
    Moran wildcard

I think this is a very fair trade for a #3 starter. If you view Feliz differently then I can see where you're coming from.

18. Nook

Nook Member

There seems to be a growing sentiment that Colin McHugh will be transitioned to the bullpen or dealt.

There is a fair amount of interest in Pineda from the Yankees. I could see the Astros push for him if they don't get someone like Sale, Gray or Archer. A lot of baseball people believe Pineda had high end number one starter upside.

There are some in the organization like Putila and Velasco that feel that Martes had a break through season in the second half from a "stuff" and maturity stand point.

Greg Holland is someone the front office has legitimate interest in.

Michael Feliz needs to focus on baseball more.

raining threes likes this.
  19. xcrunner51

That's really surprising news about McHugh. He's put up 9.9 WAR over the last three seasons and would seem like a sure-bet to have a place in the rotation next year.

I hope the Astros push for Pineda even if they're going after those other guys. We need more ML starters, period.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't see McHugh going to the pen. I could see him being dealt though.