[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Progs

Progs Member

Neshek suck too. Main reason Jared Cosart was traded.

2. Buck Turgidson

Mmmmmm...Neshek suck too.

[​IMG]

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Reed, White, Moran and Hernandez all optioned to minor league camp.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Contributing Member

5. awc713

awc713 Member

Off topic, but I hope CIN, PIT, and MIL contend soon. Three organizations that I've never really hated. Disliked at times, sure. Their fan base just seemed more knowledgeable and respectful than many others. Plus they underratedly have some of the freshest jerseys/logos in the game. They just aren't STL, CHC, TEX, ATL, CWS, or Kevin Brown. Maybe I'm wrong, but you can't force some rivalries. Feel the same way about SEA and OAK (so far, at least).

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Your divide on teams seems correlated to how good said team has been recently. Fans of CIN, PIT, MIL (as well as SEA and OAK) really have nothing to be arrogant or smug about in the last two decades. Going along with that, they're probably more dedicated/respectful/knowledgable fanbases because the stupid bandwagon fans aren't there.

Hell if you looked at this sub-forum 3-5 years ago you'd think every Astros fan was super dedicated because we were pretty much only talking about the minor league system.

awc713 likes this.
  7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Contributing Member

Agreed. And dare I say it...I remember feeling that way about the Mavs in the early 90's when they were setting all-time loss records / seemed like a pity party of a team. Once it changes, I don't think it can ever go back.

awc713 likes this.
  8. awc713

awc713 Member

Sure, success makes a portion of any fan base more arrogant/annoying. I'm just friends with several fans across all of those those organizations. In my experience, PIT/CIN fans have always been down to earth in comparison to CHC fans (even before their recent success). I guess each fan is different, so it's hard to say in the aggregate, and you're right, there has been no success for those teams to gloat about.

Also, I know it's stupid, but I'm just a sucker for classy MLB logos and jerseys. Especially after the NBA and NFL botched a ton of theirs. These uni's and logos are beautifully done IMO, and that doesn't include MIL's brilliant old "M" glove logo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But yes, clearly part of me wanting them to do well is based on them not having success lately. That, and I despise STL and CHC. I just can't jump on the "feel good for CHC fans!" train that so many people are on, because I've been around so many annoying CHC fans.

In re: to SEA/OAK, that's why I ended my post with "so far, at least". I've seen some stupid SEA fans on twitter, but that's common in every fanbase. Once those teams pose a significant threat, HOU baseball will dictate a crash and burn approach for SEA/OAK.

#2408 awc713, Mar 25, 2017 at 4:00 PM
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017 at 4:07 PM