1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not that they should use tandems per se, but they could potentially have 3 or 4 bullpen arms that can go multiple innings:

Rotation: Keuchel, McCullers, McHugh, Morton, Musgrove

Long relievers: Fiers, Peacock, Devenski, Feliz

Setup/closers: Sipp, Harris, Gregerson, Giles

With 4 guys in the pen who could go 2-3 innings, it could really save some mileage on the starters and back end guys. This could really come in handy since that rotation would feature guys with injury history (McCullers, Morton, Musgrove), guys who've had trouble getting through the lineup a 3rd time (McCullers), and guys who might be on an innings limit (Morton, Musgrove). And ideally this offense will give them enough runs to make innings 5-9 low leverage more than previous seasons.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think Astros need that many multiple inning guys. Astros can callup a guy if needed like they did with Devenski when Feliz jumped on the grenade that was McHugh's crap the bed start early last year. Have a hard time seeing Hoyt in minors to start season. Hinch has mentioned Gustave a couple of times very favorably.

Astros will try to let things work themselves out, but doubt they have two starters in bullpen if they don't. Here's to hoping for good health on Astros such that they can pawn Peacock off on some wannabe contending NL team before the season.

#2342 Joe Joe, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  3. Buck Turgidson

Sure he was. Pretty much every player that makes it to the minors was the best player on their LL, JH, HS team, many of them on their college team as well. They're not used to dealing with adversity, that's one of the huge (and a ton of it is mental) growing pains all amateur players have to work through. And some handle it better than others. Others just max out their talent in the minors, and there's nothing embarrassing about that. You should sit in a batting cage with a 20-something A/AA-ball "washout". It gives you some newfound respect.

4. Buck Turgidson

Nobody serious ever said that we were.

5. Progs

Progs Member

Matt Writers ain't worth that contract anymore.

6. Progs

Progs Member

Gustave can also be a closer. He has 2 pretty good pitches. His fastball avgs around 97-102

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yep.

When I was at A&M, they had a point guard named Brooks Thompson, who eventually transferred - and thrived - with Oklahoma State. Any way, we used to run with Brooks in the gym and he was a god among boys; he once dunked so hard on a buddy of mine, we still make fun of him. Years later, I saw his bouncing around the end of several NBA benches, and I always thought to myself... if he's the "worst" player on that team. how good must the other guys be?....

I think fans sometimes lose that perspective; how really good even the "bad" ones are. A really good friend of mine was a high draft pick our senior year and he never made it out of rookie ball - but I'm pretty sure he could still strike out 95+% of the world's population at any given time.

8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I'm not saying everyone has to have a crazy obsessive focus like Madison Bumgartner, but I can and do expect a certain level of professionalism and feedback-directed improvement.

As a fan (or atleast for me) its much easier to stomach a guy who "plays the game the right way and does everything his team asks" fail on a lack of talent than a talented guy fail on a lack of mental tools. I doubt the FO told singleton to add 20-30lbs of muscle/fat, slow his swing down and then start failing to make contact/sell out for power.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Jon had difficulty in AAA. Most hitters that end up in the majors have to make adjustments even if they are minor in AA.

One thing I heard a lot about Reed in minors was that he was patient and made pitchers pay for mistakes. He is going to show that he can lay off breaking balls out of zone and hit them when they are in yje zone. Grooved fastballs just don't happen often in majors unless your name is Marisnick.

vince likes this.
  10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I bet Aoki gets a buncha meatballs too.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

At least Aoki hits them, just not for much power.

A hitter can live off mistakes in the majors, they just need to know the zone, recognize the pitch, and punish the mistakes. Castro was a master of watching mistakes go for called strikes, and sometimes swinging right through those fastballs.

Nook likes this.
  12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The Astros are a front line picture away from a World Series this year.

Go Houston!

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

[​IMG]

/smart ass
    ;)

msn, Nippystix and Roc Paint like this.
  14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Mona Lisa, the original basic b****
    Traveled thousands of miles to see your beautiful smile
    Talk about a bait and switch, you ugly

15. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Strange that the Astros don't play a single home weekend series vs the Rangers this year.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That is odd. On the plus side, I won't see the Rangers in person this year.

MadMax likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If I were Hinch this is how I'd set the lineup:

Vs RHP/Vs LHP:

CF/RF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    DH/LF Beltran
    1B Gurriel
    RF/DH Reddick/Gattis
    C McCann/Stassi
    LF/CF Aoki/Marisnick

The surprise there would be Stassi making the team. But I think it works. He is out of options and unlikely to pass through waivers. He can be deployed on a limited basis (only against non-elite lefties) to get a better idea of what kind of player he can be; if he struggles then he can be DFA and Gattis can go back to being the catcher vs lefties (pushing Reddick or Aoki into LF against lefties and Beltran back to DH). He is a better defensive catcher than Gattis, and using him early in the season will help Gattis stay fresh for later in the year if he ends up needing to catch.

That lineup is so freaking deep. The Reddick/Gattis platoon should put up elite offensive production, and generally this team should crush any non-elite righty.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I am fairly certain Gattis would be a disaster in RF.

EDIT - Whoops...never mind, kaleidosky set me straight. (although my point stands :) ).

#2359 bobrek, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i didn't get it at first, but he only has Gattis playing as DH vs. lefties (and on the bench vs righties)

bobrek likes this.