1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2016.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Thanks, I was able to get it.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They don't show for me. Looks like your image link is through your gmail, which is probably why you see the pics, but we don't.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Not even in the second post? I just copied and pasted them.

5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] I did the upload to imagur and copied the url there. let me know lol. I want to get this to work because I have wanted to post pics for a while now lol

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

7. juicystream

That is awesome.

houstonstime likes this.
  8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Lulz, I can almost see my sold house in that pic.

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Haha, yea this is Clutch bar at TC Jester and Washington, just moved into that Pearl Apartments

10. awc713

awc713 Member

Reports that Evan Longoria is "upset" by the Forsythe trade.

Obviously TAM has a long way before they choose it's time to rebuild. But if they do, they have a ton of pieces that could make for a nice haul. In addition to Archer, Longoria, Dickerson, Kiermaier, Ramos, Souza, Odorizzi, Cobb, and even Colombe could provide an excellent return.

If they fall out of the AL East and WC races, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Trading Forsythe was an odd move, considering he was cheap and that De Leon doesn't appear to be an overwhelming offer. He was a really good player and it's hard to see their internal options being anywhere near as productive. Not a good situation for a team that was only on the fringes of competing to begin with.

If they were to trade Kiermeier and Archer for MLB-ready prospects, they could rebuild while still fielding a decent team.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i didn't think it was that odd. Forsythe isn't uber-cheap at 7M and 9M for the next 2 years (and he'll be 32 when those 2 yrs are up)...it's solid value. His OPS was sub .800 (by a little), and he K's a good amount (>20%) for a guy who isn't a big power hitter. He is a versatile defender. I thought the return in a prospect with big minor league #'s, minimal major league exposure, and still only 24 yrs old was very solid and worth it.

13. juicystream

Wouldn't Martes be of similar value to De Leon?

I like the deal for TB. De Leon isn't going to pitch 200 innings yet, but he is a top prospect and should be ready to sink or swim in the majors. Forsythe is a solid player, but he 30 and only has 2 years remaining on his deal. And you have to remember TB only won 68 games, despite what on paper looks like a solid team.

14. Nook

Nook Member

No, Martes is a better prospect. DeLeon is already 24 and while he is viewed as having a high floor but a limited ceiling. Having said that, I agree it was a solid deal for Tampa. They saw an opportunity with the Twins not moving Dozier and took advantage. One thing to consider about DeLeon, he has been dangled in a number of deals... which gives you an idea of what the Dodgers think of his upside.... similar to Nationals with Giolito.

15. juicystream

How much better though? De Leon was a top 30 prospect last year, and there really isn't much reason for that status to have changed much. MLB.com has Martes at #5 & De Leon at #8 among RHP.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Totally agree. He's similar to Martes. Maybe not quite on the same level, but some of that is due to the "showed up in the majors and didn't light the world on fire" issue. Which shouldn't matter as much as it seems to this early on (just 17 IP in the majors)

I've seen some questions on his mechanics/injury-potential, but that's still not an exact science at all.

#2056 kaleidosky, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  17. Nook

Nook Member

That is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. The lists you see and that are published are outdated and behind the curve. The evaluations by scouts can change quickly. A 24 year old pitcher with a high floor and lower ceiling that has been offered in trades often over the last year; leads me to believe that his value isn't as high as some publications believe. Martes with a good start to the season is likely to move into the top 10-15 prospects in baseball. So there is more projection with Martes but I believe he is a cut above DeLeon and I believe the difference isn't small. Obviously that doesn't mean Martes is guaranteed to have a better career, but his overall package is more valuable than DeLeon.

CometsWin likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Martes more pulled away from De Leon than De Leon was losing value. Not sure a guy with his strikeout history in high minors and arm problems is a low ceiling guy..high floor guy.

19. juicystream

Neither player has thrown an organized pitch since the MLB.com RHP list. It is very up to date. Martes could move up with a good start to the season, but this is now. I'm sure you'll see differing opinions from scouts, but the gap doesn't appear to be large. Them offering up De Leon probably has more to do with teams repeatedly asking for Seager and Urias the last year and a half. He was the best prospect they were willing to deal. Best I can tell we are offering up Martes in trades.
    His FB seems like the biggest knock on him, which he did little to alleviate in his brief MLB stint.

20. Buck Turgidson

It could be, just hear me out, but it could be that neither Tampa nor LA nor anybody else in MLB valued Forsythe that much. There may be a big reason for that.

But DeLeon is a great young arm, that's a good deal for TB since they won't (try to) contend this year.