1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Diamondbacks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 4, 2018.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

All series talk goes in here. Non series talk goes somewhere else. No PBP, that can be found from other sources if you need it. All games are broadcast on AT&T Sports SW unless otherwise noted.

5-4 Gerrit Cole (R) vs. Kris Medlen (R) 8:40 MLBN (out-of-market only)

5-5 Charlie Morton (R) vs. Zack Greinke (R) 7:10

5-6 Justin Verlander (R) vs. Matt Koch (R) 3:10

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

All righties. All righty then

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It will interesting to see what the mood around here is after this series.

If we win it, Everything is fine, see? Yankee series was an aberration.
    If we lose it, I told you xxxx, xxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxx are trash!

I am glad we are playing one of the better teams again. For me at least, if we have real flaws requiring intervention, id rather they are exposed early in the season. So come on Diamondbacks, do your worst :D

BigM and joeson332 like this.
  4. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Anytime you have Cole, Morton and JV going in a single series the expectation is to win the series. As long as the offense wakes up even a little bit we should be fine. The D-backs' offense is definitely not their strength so far this season (although they do have a few dangerous bats) so I would expect we'll see some strong performances from our pitchers.

5. joeson332

joeson332 Member

score some gotdam runs

Tomstro likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I really hope he sweep or take two out of three.

However, even if the Astros win the series everything isn't fine unless 2 out of the 3 problem spots start to hit (Marwin, Gattis, Fish/Jake).

7. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

I can’t believe they still haven’t made any moves with the AAA team to try to remedy the bottom of the lineup

Hank McDowell likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The only easy piece to move is Fisher and he recently had a 4/10 hit streak.

9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Right, but even with that little hot streak he’s currently 4 for his last 17. While that’s admittedly a pretty sad improvement over where he’s been all year, based on the full body of work this season it’s hard to imagine someone chomping at the bit in Fresno couldn’t do just as well or better. If he doesn’t break out soon they might need to consider shaking things up some. They really need a spark.

Nook likes this.
  10. Marteen

Marteen Member

No more 2017 World Champion Astros? :(

BigM and Houstunna like this.
  11. conquistador#11

We will have the lead going into the 9th in all three games!!!

whatever happens after that I'm not responsible for, symptoms of being punched in the gut, loss of adrenaline, suicidal thoughts, loss of appetite please
    contact your nearest baseball gm.If you like my comment then you agree with the terms. But look on the bright side, at least it's not the playoffs.

12. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

It will be interesting to see if the bats wake up again. Didn't we have trouble scoring runs at home last year in the first half?

texans1095 likes this.
  13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Blame Hinch ;)

Marteen likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Yesterday was, by my count, the 4th chron article in a month saying that the Stros are willing to be patient with Fisher. I wouldn't expect anything to happen soon.

"Sure we have some guys at Triple-A that are going to perform and put some pressure on the guys who aren't performing here," Hinch said. "But we're not at that point yet."

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros...patience-outfielder-Derek-Fisher-12885484.php

At least Hinch did acknowledge Fisher's propensity to watch hittable pitches go by. Baby steps.

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If you aren't giving up on FIsher "yet" then stick him in the lineup every day. Either he figures it our send him down. How can he be expected to perform when he starts every 4th game?

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

OK, were not ready :(
    But lets keep in mind that AAA is there exactly for this reason (to bolster the ML club). So I guess all those guys hitting .300+ in Fresno just have to wait for Hinch to give up on <.200 Fisher.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 4.58.02 PM.jpg

leroy likes this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I doubt that is really Hinch's call. He doesn't decide the roster, and he is basically forced to play Marisnick, Gattis and Fisher regularly.

Luhnow doesn't want to waste assets, but it's looking more and more likely we are gonna have to add a bat. You can't have 2 dead spots in the order, particularly given they are spots with minimal defensive requirements.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Given that I'm sure it will be cheap to get him, I'm sure most coaching staffs would love to at least get a chance with Harvey. Doesn't really seem to be a role for him here though.

If we did pick him up and turn him around, it sure would be fun to listen to the country wail about it. Get him some of that Astros Secret Sauce.

20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Hopefully Hinch is finished being a clown