1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Angels

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I thought the argument was fan inconvenience.... its far easier for fans to re-schedule 3/81 baseball games (or make other plans/get a refund) than it is for them to re-schedule 1/8 games.

The Rangers are also concerned about having 3 road games towards the end of the season, rather than the beginning, so perceived competitive balance is a huge reason why they're trying to stick with this argument... even though they were more than happy to get 3 more home games, regardless of what other opponents thought.

If home field isn't as important... then the Rangers argument of not wanting a long road trip starts to lose some strength.

So, if home field doesn't matter, and other leagues have dealt with the fan convenience side of things, not sure what is left to argue here?

#421 Nick, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I guarantee that if you poll the players and coaches of the Rangers they would have no problem giving up those three home games at the end of the year.

I also guarantee that a majority of the fans wouldnt mind adjusting to accommodate the Astros.

The fact of the matter is the Rangers were presented an amazing opportunity to extend their support to the Astros in a time of need. They failed miserably and they did it for selfish reasons. The fans are just being used as a shield from the backlash.

All I can say now is that I hope this lights the fire that this team desperately needs.

3. Major

Major Member

This is a weird conclusion.

I could just as easily point out to all the times when leagues ignored home field needs (LSU vs Florida last year) and didn't worry about home fans getting their games (Minnesota roof collapse) and ask what there is to argue here?

The Rangers are being asked to go above and beyond and take away something from their fans, regardless of how much you think that's worth, in favor of the Astros fans. Could they have done it? Sure. Did they need to or should they have been expected to? No. Should they be criticized for not doing it? People can say what they want, but it seems petty.

Let's be clear - the Astros are not in a "time of need". The city of Houston is. Swapping series would have done nothing for the city's rebuilding or anything else - it would just help out a baseball team to win potentially an extra game or two and let some fans watch an extra couple of games at home. That's it. This is not some scenario of the Rangers hurting the city of Houston or worsening the situation there or other such nonsense.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You were the one saying home field in baseball is less important.

Think PR is completely petty and meaningless? Lakewood just became a shelter in large part due to endless social media backlash.

The Rangers absolutely deserve backlash for not accommodating. Sure, they didn't "have" to... that's exactly why they call it accommodating.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Easy solution is playing this series in DFW, then next series two @MMP and one DFW.

6. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Just need to interject here quickly to say that Osteen may be an even bigger ****sucker than Bannister.

As you were, gentlemen.

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Probably true, but this decision was probably a bit above Bannycock's pay grade.

Note: "****" was used in the sense that it's another term for rooster

8. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

True. Was speaking in generalities. Hope all
    You guys down in Houston are staying safe.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They don't feel pressure to get the games in when the season is over afterwards and they want them to not get called for rain. The World Series is different than the regular season. If this was the World Series, you'd probably see us just delay the games.

Teams average fewer than 3 rainouts a season (only the Red Sox average actually average 3, while the California teams almost never do and the dome stadiums don't), so having 3 in a row is exceedingly rare. Probably in the days before they had proper drainage systems and tarps it may have been more of an issue. And of course rarely do you know in advance of an entire series that it will be unplayable.

As much as I like the idea, I don't know how well the idea of playing in a minor league park is for these guys, plus RR is the Rangers affiliate and unavailable. San Antonio would have been available.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not sure if anything changed, but I believe the Astros suggested this back in 2008 and MLB refused to allow them to play in a minor league stadium. Interestingly enough, they let the Rays play a scheduled series in a minor league stadium earlier that season.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Nobody is saying the Rangers went down and slapped every person in Houston and blocked any relief effort.

All I'm saying is they had an opportunity to show some compassion and help the Astros (and their fans) and they failed completely.

This isn't about "winning another game or two". This is about providing peace of mind to the players, coaches, and fans. Instead they were selfish. They cared about themselves and they are using their fans as a shield.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I can see leagues not swapping a series. Rangers didn't need to swap. Expectations are different between people. People calling the Rangers names for what the Rangers did seems fair. Just because other teams have been unaccommodating, that doesn't excuse the Rangers from criticism. They choose not to help out a neighbor after a disaster even if it is just a small thing like letting some rain-soaked fans see their team play 3 more games in Houston. They deserve being called what people are called that are inflexible during a disaster.

#433 Joe Joe, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    juicystream likes this.