1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] 2017 ROCKETS OFFSEASON THREAD

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fantasma Negro, May 15, 2017.

1. Fantasma Negro

2. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Chri
    Christiano to the Rockets confirmed!!

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Ronaldo looks afraid of whatever is outside the shot.

5. Fantasma Negro

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2018 NBA title confirmed

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It is the offseason....so enjoy.

8. Fantasma Negro

Clint Capela Tells Us About James Harden’s Growth And How Soccer Helped Him Improve His Game
    Before Clint Capela was dribbling with his hands in the NBA, he was dribbling a soccer ball with his feet in Switzerland. The Houston Rockets center was just a soccer player with above average height before he took up basketball and found his way into the NBA.

Capela has played three seasons with the Rockets since he was drafted with the 25th pick in the first round of the 2014 Draft Lottery, but he hasn’t forgotten his footy roots. Capela was heading to Cardiff, Wales, last week to watch the UEFA Champions League final with the NBA as part of its international outreach initiatives.

The
    Houston Rockets center was just a soccer player with above average height before he took up basketball and found his way into the NBA.

He took a moment to talk with us about his favorite soccer team, James Harden’s ascent at the point for the Rockets, and how Houston takes the next step in the postseason next year.

Thanks for chatting with us during the trip. Have you been to Wales before?

No, I’ve never been to Wales before and I’m looking forward to it. We’re going for the Champions league final, which is between Real Madrid and Juventus, and I’m really excited.
    Have you been to a Champions League final before? What sort of atmosphere is that like?

Yeah, I went to a Final before — last year: Athlético Madrid and Real Madrid. Of course this is not Athlético Madrid so it will be way harder [for Real]. But I’m more excited for this one than last year.

(Ed. note: Real Madrid beat Juventus, 4-1)

So what’s your favorite club?

My favorite club is Arsenal.

Ah, same here. So they’re not going to be in the Champions League next season for the first time in a while. Arsene Wenger is coming back next year, are you excited about that or were you a #WengerOut guy like a lot of fans I’ve talked to in America?

Yeah, I saw that Wenger signed for two more years. Well, I really hope they can manage to get some good players now. We need to step up. I don’t want to play Europa League for another five years now.

They finished fifth for the first time in I don’t know how many years. Seventeen years? Yeah, I was sad.

So how did you end up being an English Premier League fan? How did a side from North London become your team?

I grew up in Switzerland, in Geneva, which is a French part of Switzerland. So on TV we had the French channels, so we were always watching the French national team.

And the French national team, the best player always scoring goals was Thierry Henry. So I started to like Thierry Henry and I watched him growing up as Arsenal greatness. He was greatness — always scoring goals — he was carrying Arsenal on his back consistently every year.

So you played a lot of soccer growing up and from what I read you basically got so tall that someone said ‘You should try playing basketball.’

Yeah (laughs). My brother.

Just playing that much soccer growing up, how did that affect your development as a basketball player?

The footwork in soccer is a major part of the game. So as soon as I started playing basketball I was better. It was more easy for me than my teammates to make my first layup. To get those two steps. It was more easy for me learn a eurostep. It took me less time to learn all those first steps in basketball because of soccer.

How important do you think it is to play different sports growing up? There’s always this argument about specialization, whether to focus on one sport or to cross-train with a few different disciplines. Do you think it helped significantly to play different sports?

I think kids need to try all those other activities and sports so they don’t make the wrong choice. It doesn’t just have to be basketball.

You had a pretty significant injury over the last season. How difficult was it to come back from that?

It was difficult not being with the team. But to be able to finish the year and get all those wins together was good—that was a good experience at the end. That makes me tougher—I’ve been going every single day at the gym. Physically, mentally, I got stronger.

You’re locked up with Houston for another year. How important is it to keep this current group together with James Harden and see where you can go?

The most important thing is that we need to do it again. Because it’s going to be way harder now that every team knows how we play. They all know who to watch on the court, so every team is going to expect us at that level so we have to keep our mind at that level and do the same thing that we did last year because this year’s going to be way harder.

Can you talk a bit about playing with Harden? He had an MVP-caliber season in his first full year as a point guard.

He’s amazing. He been helping this team all year, consistently making the right choice, the right passes. He’s unbelievable. This was his best season for us.

[​IMG]
    Getty Image

He’s heavily credited his teammates with his success at the position this year, but did you see a change in him this last year in how he approached the game?

Yeah, this year he got better with sharing the ball. You have to make everyone involved. And he did it consistently. Even if some games it was hard, he was really focused on keeping everybody involved. Keeping everybody’s confidence level up at the top of their game.

You had a disappointing end to your season. Was it tough to watch the Western Conference Finals and see Golden State get past San Antonio so easily?

They were better than us, they had more experience. But it was our first time at that point. So now we have to man up and hopefully we can go further next year if we can be as good as last year season.

uproxx.com/dimemag/clint-capela-nba-houston-rockets-james-harden-champions-league-interview/amp/

BigMaloe and heypartner like this.
  9. Fantasma Negro

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Embracing lettuce

11. Normalus

Normalus Member

Did I miss something? DMo liked this picture, although it says he's a rockets player..
    [​IMG]

12. Fantasma Negro

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Brian Windhorst:

Paul George, where will he wind up? How close where we to George ending up in Cleveland?

I don't think it was close. The Cavs are in the game. ... The best thing Cavs have to offer is Kevin Love. The Pacers aren't looking for big men. Even if they really wanted Kevin Love, he doesn't fit the way they're going with their roster. So they need a 3rd team. Anyone who has been around the NBA will tell you a 3-team trade is a no-team trade. Obviously they happen but they fail 99% of the time & that's why this is a challenge for the Cavs.

Is there a surprise team?

Depends on the level of risk a team is willing to take. He sent out that he will not extend with anyone but LA. Whether that turns out to be true is matter of a poker game. Some were surprised how little the Wolves paid to get Butler. That did not put the Pacers in a good position. There are teams making bids. The Houston Rockets are aggressive with everybody. Lakers have had talks. Wizards are in there. It'll come down to a bit of a waiting game. Kevin Pritchard said they aren't pushing this to do it now. Their situation is not improving by the day. Maybe if they wait it out and free agency changes some things in the league, maybe things can change in the next 10 days.

Carmelo Anthony?

We have a stalemate. We have Carmelo saying he potentially won't waive his NTC, he wants to be in NY. We have Phil Jackson saying he needs to go. We aren't anywhere further than where we were 2-3 months ago. Why people are saying a buyout is likely or ultimate decision here is because Carmelo controls all the cards. If he doesn't accept a trade, if they want to get away from him, it comes down to releasing him. I don't see that happening in the short term. That's a last resort type of thing that may not happen, if it happens at all, for 6-7 months. The idea he'll be a FA in the short term is very unlikely unless he takes a major pay cut & leaves money on the table. I don't think that's likely either.

Chris Paul & Blake Griffin - going back to LA?

I say they both stay if they're willing to offer the 5-year contract. Short negotiation with Blake if they offer the 5-year max. He wants to remain in LA. Whether they offer it is a different matter. We'll have to see. Chris Paul has been talking to people around the league about his intentions to seriously look elsewhere. He's talked to other players. He's made it clear to certain teams he's willing to listen, Spurs & Rockets being two of them. In talking to people that know Chris, they really wonder if he's willing to leave $70M on the table. It's so much money. That's something that will get tested out over the next 10 days. Doc has been recruiting Chris Paul very hard. He's been sending him trade suggestions. They did a little thing with Paul Pierce where they extended the window on his contract. He'll obviously retire but they made an agreement with him so they can possibly trade him over the next 3 weeks. They're throwing everything at the wall to try & figure out how to make maneuvers with this team. One thing is certain: they'll lose J.J. Redick. Redick is as good as gone. Forget about Paul & Griffin. As they look at the team & Chris Paul evaluates things, that means Austin Rivers is their starting two guard he has to play next to. I don't know if he wants to play in the backcourt with Austin Rivers as a starter day in, day out. These are all things the Clippers are trying to deal with.

NBA awards tonight. Do you expect Russell Westbrook to be named MVP?

Yeah, I think he'll win. The interesting thing, both Harden & Westbrook will finish 1-2 tonight & both will be offered contract extensions in the next week. Do both take it? Do both bypass it? Do both wait? They'll have to answer questions at some point. What will they say? What will Westbrook say when asked tonight if he's gonna sign the extension? It'll be the richest contract in the history of the NBA. If he doesn't sign it, all of a sudden, he's in the summer FA market next year as well. ... James is a bit different. He has two years left. Rockets want to make sure he's basically locked down for the rest of his prime. It's a fair question for him too.

Marc Stein:

How different does Cleveland look when the season starts?

They're trying. I don't know if they can get George - Lakers, Houston, Boston - it's a deep field going after him but Cleveland is on the clock (with LeBron). If you want to keep him, you have to improve & try to win another championship. If they don't upgrade & win, in June of 2018, we'll be talking about can they keep LeBron? They're under pressure & they know it.

Carmelo Anthony buyout?

At this point, no. They can't find a trade for him & he has the NTC. It will be hard to find a workable trade. Will they reach the point Phil gets fed up and sends him on his way? There are people who believe down the road that the Knicks will let him go. They gave up so much to get him. Will they just let him go? It's a stalemate right now. Carmelo wants to stay. He wants to outlast Phil. Is it feasible? I think it is.

Mavs opt out with Dirk.

Zillion percent going back. They make decisions in unison. Dirk will most likely sign a 2-year deal but he's such a humble guy. He doesn't act like a NBA superstar in any way, shape or form. We don't see it in sports anymore, what he's allowing them to do. He'll put the team first & let them opt out. He'll sign a 2-year deal. He'll never leave. If he plays 2 more seasons, he'll break the record (same team for 21 years)

Clippers?

There's a real vibe that Blake could leave. Chris Paul will seriously look at it. He'll seriously look at San Antonio. It has since emerged that Houston will go after him. All indications are is he'll play the field. He needs to win. He hasn't been out of the 2nd round. That pains him greatly. He wants to be on a team that contends. This Clippers team seems to be drifting further away from that. Can Jerry West help sell Chris on a vision? I think there is a real chance one moves & not inconceivable both move.

#133 J.R., Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    saleem, Vivi and lionaire like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Gordon & LouWill were on First Take.

Eric Gordon:

What does your team need to do to catch Golden State?

With a team like the Warriors, they have a lot of firepower. We gotta find guys who can bring that force - better scorers, playmakers - guys that bring the whole package to the team.

How many sixth men did you guys have on the squad? Do you think you deserve it over Lou?

We both had great years. It's funny, when he joined the team, our firepower off the bench will be incredible & then when it gets towards the end of the year, who will win the award? We both had great years. It's good to see him successful. We wanted to come in & make immediate impacts.

He's gonna be here in 15 minutes. He'll be asked. I know you want the award. Best case for you over Lou?

He joined forces with our team. He got his hardware. I definitely want mine also.

What do you feel you need to get in the conversation to get over the hump? CP3? A point guard?

Like I said, maybe a big time, I don't know if it's a big or guard, I don't know. I leave it up to our GM & president. I leave it up to those guys & trust those guys. We had a fun year. We wanted to get a taste at the Warriors but we know we have to get better if we want to win a championship.

Something people would be surprised to learn about Harden?

You've heard through the years he's a selfish players but he led the league in assists. This offense is geared just for him. No one thought he could be a PG. He's a major difference maker. We know it'll come down to him & Russ.

James led the league in assists. We know you love Kyrie. Give us your top point guards in the NBA right now?

James & Russ for sure. Kyrie & Curry definitely up there. You have a lot of great point guards out here.

CP3? Point guards are the entire conversation with the Rockets now. One is up for MVP. It's rumored a second in Chris Paul could be coming. Now you're singing the praises of Kyrie. What does having a PG like that or adding CP3, how does that change the game for you personally?

I don't need the ball. I've been a good shooter. With our style of play, it's great for playmakers. It's about knocking down jumpshots when you have a playmaker.

Lou Williams:

Biggest difference between Houston & LA?

Difference in teammates. Lakers have young pieces trying to find their way. Houston was more veterans & able to compete in the playoffs. I enjoyed both experiences.

Russ or Harden for MVP?

When it comes to MVP, tip your hat to both, as well to Kawhi. I'm beard gang so I'm going with 13.

Make your case for Sixth man of the Year.

EG didn't set out to be a sixth man. Guys like me & Jamal, that's our lane & what we bring to the table. He doesn't need to be in the conversation. But that's my teammate & he had a great year. If either of us win, it's a win for the both of us.

What does it take to beat Golden State?

Now that they've won, you have a realistic measuring stick. So many rumors going around, teams are trying to bulk up.

You've said you were traded from LA for refusing to tank. It is a strategy in the NBA today. Thoughts on teams intentionally losing games?

That tweet started as a joke. Strategically, when it comes to the players, I've never been with a player or organization who said let's lose on purpose. When you know you're not gonna compete at a high level, there are incentives to get a high draft pick. I'm gonna go out & compete as hard as I can. I didn't want to sit back & let's see if we get this guy or that guy.

What does music mean to you?

I'm not a one-trick pony. I've always enjoyed music. I haven't released music because I don't want people to tell me it sucks before they even listen to it. I record tons of music. I give it to family & friends. That's enough for me. It's one of the passions I have.

Vivi, Deuce and saleem like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Howard Beck & Zach Lowe

Any teams you think with one move could present a challenge to Golden State?

ZL: Cleveland. Cleveland is really good already. They have to be careful trading Love. If they can find one move, they can challenge the Warriors. I don't know that there is anyone in the West. Don't have faith in the Clippers this summer. And the Spurs...

If you add CP3 to the Spurs...

ZL: If you subtract Green or LaMarcus, I don't think so. CP3 + Kawhi + whatever is leftover + MLE, I'm not sure they're any closer.

Realistic for them to clear way for CP3 without getting rid of LaMarcus?

ZL: I think so. I think it would involve Parker & Green for minimal return. It's doable.

What's up Daryl's sleeve? Is there a move there?

ZL: Sure, why not? If you dump Gordon, Lou & Beverley, that gets you to $27M + $10M already, that gets you close to Chris Paul. Then you also have no guards except CP3 & Harden. Who knows.

Weird fit?

HB: D'Antoni has always been a guy, the more guys you have who can pass & shoot, who can make plays & score on their own, high IQ passing guys is better. If all 5 guys can pass & shoot, all the better. Yes, they'd have to adjust but I can kinda see it.

ZL: Daryl wanted Rondo with Harden. He paired Lin & Harden. Daryl is talent first & then figure it out. It'd be interesting. Chris would have to play faster. You don't get to walk it up. He's talented enough to do that & attack off the catch & 40% 3pt shooter. I said this on my pod is the most interesting thing is adding one of the greatest mid-range shooters in the history of basketball to a team that doesn't shoot midrange shots, even when invited to do so. That'd be healthy for them. Their offense has suffered in the last 3 postseasons. If you talk to the coaches who have faced them, yeah Harden is unbelievable & scares the hell out of us but you can gameplan for them if you see them over & over again. One reason is they'll never take midrange shots. ... It's very clear the Rockets players are not allowed to take midrange shots. Not allowed unless the shot clock is running down. You don't get Chris Paul & not allow him to take midrange shots. As an experiment, it'd be fun but hard for them to get there & without dumping Ryan Anderson, you have to move a lot of players. Ryan Anderson should be unmovable but that's just me.

HB: 10 players - George, Aldridge, 'Melo, Porzingis, Love, Lowry, Millsap, Hayward, Griffin, Paul - least/most likely to move?

From least likely to move to most likely:

ZL:
    1. Porzingis
    2. Aldridge
    3. Lowry - If he were to leave, where? ZL: It would take a team making a move for cap room. He wants to win & wants to get paid.
    T-4. Griffin
    T-4. Paul - HB: Paul having went to the lengths he did for this massive extension, you'd think he stays. ZL: Yet the buzz remains.
    6. Hayward - ZL: Decent chance he leaves
    7. Love
    8. Millsap - ZL: Nervous about the age. The idea he would be a stretch four has taken a little bit of a hit. All the bad Western Conference teams - PHX, DEN, SAC. Hawks seem like they're actually ready to rebuild.
    9. 'Melo
    10. George

Straight dump for 'Melo? Any places he could still fit in?

ZL: 'Melo is good for what he is. He will not give you a lot of defense. He won't help you defend the Warriors (if you're the Cavs). 'Melo gets buckets still. Good offensive player. Never has balanced out his game. He's reached the age where just give the ball to 'Melo is not good enough anymore.

HB: He can't be your #1 now. Problem is & has been, who does he fit with? Knicks would take just about anything.

ZL: Problem is the NTC. You could have sold one of these mediocre teams into a Carmelo trade. He's not going to those places though. ... We have not heard anything other than LA & Cleveland.

How realistic is a buyout?

ZL: I wouldn't buy him out. He's still a good basketball player. ... It is so audacious for Phil to consent or offer a NTC & then be out there publicly. You negotiated this. It's your problem.

Anything the Cavs can do on the periphery?

ZL: Now have access to the tax MLE? They should just use that. Their other players don't have a ton of trade value. They'll try. They owe at least one future pick.

Is Tristan Thompson movable?

ZL: His name doesn't come up. Looking at dealing Thompson is smart. They do have one $4.8M TE.

HB: They do owe a pick to Atlanta in 2019.

Serge Ibaka?

ZL: Teams believe he's older than his listed age. It affects his market. I would expect him to be back in Toronto. Serge is good. He needs to play the five more. Bloom is off the rose a little bit.

HB: We still think the Warriors are unbeatable. Cavs are in a different spot. They let Griffin walk. We have rumors of LeBron leaving next year. We have the possibility to likelihood of Love being traded. I bring it all up to say, teams in the next tier, maybe the Cavs are vulnerable?

ZL: Boston has a shot to set off some fireworks. If they get two stars, then this is a conversation. Toronto showed no fight in that series. I don't know who scares me in the East.

Which young core excites you most & will win soonest? Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Minnesota, anyone else? Denver?

ZL: Most exciting is Philly. Soonest, probably Minnesota. I'm most excited to see the Sixers. Whatever team Giannis is on, that dude is outrageous.

Minnesota making the playoffs?

ZL: Haven't thought about it. I would say better than 50/50 shot.

Vivi likes this.
  16. Fantasma Negro

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18. Fantasma Negro

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member