1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] 2017 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Apr 25, 2017.

1. cdain3

cdain3 Member

That number is gonna double maybe triple once texas gets its **** together.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So when do we start signing some leftover draft prospects? Are we going to use any of our Brock money to sign some veterans for needed gap spots until our rookies develop?

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

This draft will be graded how Watson turn out.

Football guys think Watson will be the QB we were looking for.

The media men think he will falter.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

I still believe the Texans were going to get OT Antonio Garcia in the 3rd round but the Patriots traded up to get him a couple picks before the Texans. Garcia is much more ready to play than Davenport but JD might have the better career. I really like the Foreman pick too so I'm kinda torn. If I'm right, doggone Patriots. I hope Foreman scores two touchdowns and helps the Texans beat them.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Think we are gonna wait to see who gets released

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to see us pick up the safety from Clemson, Jadar Johnson who went undrafted. I'm anxious to see all the guys we pick up who went undrafted. It was rough watching Cleveland take so many picks before we even got to number 2. Next year will be worse, when they get 9 draft picks in the first two rounds. Cleveland fans will finally see their team start building up into something great again after all these years. Then, they will have to watch them all leave because they won't be able to afford them after their rookie contracts...LOL.

#1146 deb4rockets, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Agreed. And I hope the football guys are right and the media guys are forced to cover the Texans' run to the superbowl.

8. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think the Texans are solid at 4 of the 5 spots and I don't think their line is solid overall. However I agree with you that Watson being a bust is a far bigger concern and the hope is a veteran is available, a trade is made or the line gels as a unit.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

BigTexxx?

10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Before the draft they had a LT and C, with speculation only that Martin can handle one G spot. After the draft they have LT and center, with speculation that Martin can handle one G spot. Addressed isn't the word that comes to mind.

11. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

that bottle got him too lol

12. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Before last season started we had Martin at C and Mancz trying out for a guard spot. Now we have Martin back at C and Mancz who looked good last season filling in at a guard spot, on top of Duane Brown at LT that's 3 for sure O line spots that aren't a problem then we have the 2 starting guards from last season competing to get the one remaining starting guard spot and the RT spot that is completely open for a FA vet when cuts happen.

I mean, I get that everywhere else on the team is pretty solid so there's not much else to complain about, but the O line isn't in that bad of shape.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I'm with you on this. I screamed when I saw the Pats move up and take Garcia. Oh well... :rolleyes:

Nimo likes this.
  15. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't think any rookie in this draft would have answered any of the questions for sure. The RTs were really LTs who wouldn't be good LTs in the league. Still a question mark. The RTs in college were too big and were projected as guards in the league. Still question marks. The Texans media reported that coach Devlin met with Davenport for a long period of time. Maybe he thinks he can coach him up and have him ready to play RT now. I don't know. I feel you. Still a lot of question marks. But I would still have them if they drafted most of the other linemen in the league. And they have more bodies to compete now. I don't feel settled about the line but I'm less settled about the safety position.

We should start a thread to assess our comfort level with each position group.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  16. Zergling

Zergling Member

I can't say much about the latter rounds, but in the 1st three, the Texans got one of the most productive QBs in the nation the past two years (who also went to 2 straight nattys and won one), the most productive LB in the SEC, and the most productive RB in the country. That's a hell of a haul for Rick Smith.

The ESPN Texans beat writer said Foreman didn't address a need and I couldn't disagree more. Lamar Miller is injury prone and shouldn't be our between the tackles RB. Foreman is perfect for that role with his size and now Miller can just be the outside speedster.

17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Osweiller completely off the books and we got Deshaun Watson. The cost was a first and second round pick and what else? Either way, very good off season by Rick Smith. Very impressive.

#1157 tallanvor, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Texas would need to break the all time record for drafted players in order to double the number. The issue isn't Texas not being what it was, it's the overall talent of the big 12 being pretty poor.

19. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I've presented my opinion fairly and logically. If you don't agree that's fine but if you're not going to return the favor at least spare the sarcasm. You probably don't realize it but that last little jab kinda goes with what I'm saying. There aren't many other holes, are there? Kinda curious they would get a backup DT or who even knows how far down the chart Decoud is before putting real emphasis on Who starts at RT.

20. conquistador#11

I'll say it now.. Carlos Watkins(acquired via browns in the money ball' trade) will end up getting paid in free agency when his contract is up, mean while the near third rounder the browns received for cleaning up our mistakes will retire after his second season.