1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] 2017 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

We have 1 solid OLman. Duane brown. That's it. Please expound on the other 3 solid lineman we have. And it's not "possible weakness" at RT. It's the weakest link in the whole team's chain. Derek newton is not playing this year and may never play again. Clark got beat by everyone who lined up against him. The other options we have are a guy who just beat cancer who hasn't played in 3 years and and rookie who draft experts believe needs much development. That's not "possible weakness" that's "most definitely a ****ing hole"

XSF was like, flamingly okay. He's the okayest lineman ever. Mancz was ok as a center but now what, he's a guard and a guy who hasn't ever played a down is also "locked in" as not only a starter but a GOOD starter? Or mancz continues being an ok center and the guy who's never played is not only a starting guard but a GOOD starter? You can go ahead and concede Jeff Allen is a shitcrap OL.

Oh but the answer is a guy who some other team thinks makes too much money. Hope he fits the system.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think we need to inject some reality back into this conversation, you do realize that the alternative was to draft rookies from what has been hailed as a terrible O line class to start....You can knock the current guys for ONLY being "okay", but my point is that you have one weak spot and the rest is serviceable to very good. There wasn't a scenario where the Texans O line was going to magically transform into the Cowboys O line. You have a very highly touted center prospect back healthy, a constantly solid LT in Duane Brown, arguably the best O linemen from the team last year going to one of the guard spots and the best of Jeff Allen and XSF holding down 4 of the 5 spots, you can do a LOT worse.

Also, while XSF is still learning, he showed flashes of the reason he was drafted so highly last season in the run game. O linemen sometimes take a while to catch on, so let's hold off judgement on that for a little while. If we based things on their early play, Derek Newton would have been cut years ago.

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

And Duane Brown, the only legitimately good OL we have, is 31.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  4. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Breaking down the Texans 2017 draft
    Joshua Reese Published on Apr 29, 2017
    The Houston Texans got themselves a quarterback but what about a safety and an offensive tackle..

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

According to WalterFootball.com
    The Texans just drafted the
    #2 ranked QB
    #4 ranked ILB
    #6 ranked RB
    #5 ranked OT
    #6 ranked DT
    #4 ranked C

Not too shabby. Time will tell though

SLRokJok and Fullcourt like this.
  6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think what people need to understand is, especially under this coaching regime, that rookies are not expected to contribute at all by game 1 of the season they're drafted. The exception of course is that first round picks can start (KJo, Fuller), but they cannot be the top dog at their position.

So by not drafting an OL in the top three rounds, it's not really going to make a big impact on how the team would have approached this pre-season and opening day. It probably will hurt us down the line in 2018/2019, but that fate may have been sealed when the OL class came out looking so poor to begin the draft season.

I expect the Texans to take some of that cap space they saved by giving Cleveland their 2nd rounder in 2018 for the Osweiler Dump and go out and sign a prominent lineman that gets waived in this post-draft period.

Fullcourt likes this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

I wonder if they actually used Walter Football to draft

justtxyank and rezdawg like this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

What rookie do you think would be better than what we have right now at guard? Mancz is a solid starter. Better than okay. Martin was a 2nd round pick last year. Better than any guard in this draft. XSF and Allen have some experience and they're really just battling for the third guard spot. You want a replacement for Duane Brown? Well that's what you have in Davenport. He'll be ready in good time. The only real question we should have is about RT.

9. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Sounds like you want my scouting report.

Thought you would never ask. Texans reported a visited with DeAngelo Yancey. The article stated
    Yancey was projected as a late-late round pick to undrafted free agent pickup.

I watched his highlight videos on you tube. I watched him in games vs top notch teams on you tube.
    I set my scouting report on him. I checked scout sites to view what they were saying to compare
    to mine. None of the sites had a scouting report on him (approximately a month ago) except one.
    CBSSports.com(NFL prospects). They listed him as the 48th best receiver at the time. Drops a lot
    of passes. Good size, Good speed, will have trouble getting separation in the NFL. 7th to undrafted
    free agent pickup.

So people can't say Im just repeating what "Paid analysts" are saying about this Yancey.

Paid analysts should have had Dak Prescott going earlier. Sometimes they miss. I don't often agree with Kiper.

Yancey: speed 4.44 (40 yd dash) Andre Johnson ran a 4.45 (40).
    Yancey: height: 6'2" weight: 223
    Andre Johnson: height: 6'2" weight: 228

Yancey uses his hands well and catches most passes with his hands. Yancey is deadly on quick slants
    with his speed and size. In watching tape most teams have Yancey scouted accordingly and try to play a
    cover two on him. Underneath defender overplays the quick slant disrupting many passes upon arrival.
    Michael Irving in working with receivers one year, tells the incoming receiver crew that they need to catch
    the quick slat more with the body.

If Yancey runs the full quick slant route and not cut it off too soon and comes back to the ball just prior to
    ball arrival.....uses the hands but secures it quickly to body quick. Look out NFL. He will be giving a lot of
    5'10 Corners a piggy back ride for 5 yds consistently.

The so-called Paid Analyst say he doesn't separate. He is as strong as Andre Johnson and as fast. On tape
    on saw plenty of Yancey using his hands to separate and pushes off just as well as any receiver in college
    or the NFL. Runs the deep post, skinny post, quick slants, curls, back should routes, double moves,
    bubble screens, finds holes in the zones and defenders require deep help in man to man.

I was scouting Purdue and Wisconsin. Good game to see TJ Watt, Ramczyk and Yancey. In the game you
    will see Wisconsin over play the quick slant and Yancey burns that good Wisconsin defense by jumping to
    the outside.....killing them as he got past the defender along the sideline constantly. Safety didn't help
    soon enough. The Purdue QB Blough was terrible. Missing windows constantly and throwing late or
    behind receivers.....but he throws that over the should-drop the ball into the bucket pass. Yancey
    destroyed Wisconsin in this game. Yancey finished this game with 6 catches for 155 yards and two TD's
    against the 30th ranked pass defense in the nation. On the ninth drive of the game Blough never
    saw Yancey wide open on a post route in which he turned the Safety completely around on a fake
    to the pylon. Would have been 3 TD's. Blough over threw Yancey by 4 yards which would have been
    another TD in the 11th drive of the game for Purdue.

So the drops will be fixed as he is very good with catching the ball with his hands. I attribute many of the
    drops to Blough delay reactions. I say this because Yancey had about 55% completion rate; but
    Dominique Young was 59% comp rate and Posey was 62% completion rate. Thing was Posey
    avg/catch was 9.13 yds/catch and Young was 11.7 yds/catch. Shorter passes tend to be a higher
    competition %. Yancey averaged 19.4 yards per catch for the season.

I feel confident Aaron Rodgers with get this guy will be kcking it in the NFL. Bank on it. You heard it here first. Despite what the so-called experts say.

Edited: after looking over my notes again, Yancey scored a TD later in that 11th drive. So he could
    have had 3 TD and about 220 yards for the game if Blough was better.

#1129 Jatman20, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Mayock's ranking had Watson #1 and Cunningham #2. It's not just Walter.

justtxyank likes this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

Then maybe they did their research on the internet

justtxyank likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

As opposed to yours?

justtxyank likes this.
  13. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Yes, perspective is needed.

18. Houston Texans (11)
    Top overall grade: LT Duane Brown, 85.7 (No. 17)

Top pass-blocking grade: C Greg Mancz, 87.2 (tied for No. 3)

Top run-blocking grade: LT Duane Brown, 84.8 (No. 7)

We have reached the point in the list where every remaining O-line is, at best, severely flawed. The Houston Texans’ unit saw a mix of excellent performances and pretty terrible ones in the regular season. LT Duane Brown began to creep back towards his best play this season, allowing only one sack all year and run blocked well, with the league’s seventh-best grade in that area, at 84.6. Greg Mancz—a player that dominated PFF’s grades in college—looked like a solid find for the team at center in his second season after being an undrafted free agent in 2015. Mancz allowed one sack and 18 total QB pressures across 671 pass-blocking snaps in the regular season, and was perfect in his Wild Card outing against the Raiders last week. Chris Clark, however, was the league’s worst pass-protecting right tackle, surrendering a ridiculous 67 total QB pressures on the season; he was also flagged 13 times. The guard pairing either let themselves down run blocking (Jeff Allen) or pass blocking (Xavier Su’a-Filo) over the year.

So I'll concede mancz as a worthy center, and only at center. LT, Assuming brown hasn't fallen off and center. Those are your inked starters. Martin, making a move to guard is no sure thing and XSF and Allen are bad options behind the unknown. Between the 3, we'll call it one answer at guard. That's pretty speculative but I'm trying to meet you halfway. Pencil in XSF at another spot, going into his FOURTH year expecting some significant improvement just isn't flying. He has been underwhelming and has shown little reason to believe in greater things. Allen was crap and I'm absolutely not accepting him as a potential contributor. So the need for RT is and should've been a more pressing issue. Between 2 underwhelming guards and one speculatively average guard the need there is also pretty significant.

I think I'm being more than fair here.

All I'm saying is that OL once again being undervalued by RS and co. But we have our coverage LB right? Because our front 7 hasn't taken enough resources yet. Or how about a backup DT to challenge Covington? That's probably more important than conceding a 33rd overall pick and nearly as much money to replace the guard you drafted and developed who was actually good (Brooks) aren't cutting it. How about a DB with no real position? I guess 4th CB is more important than OL. Or is he a safety? Despite my and others desire for a safety, there are still plenty of options on the backend from recent drafts.

I'm not asking for a Dallas/Tennessee level OL to pop out of nowhere, so take that straw man elsewhere. I'm asking that the line be addressed. Especially to give the shiny new QB a chance.

Nimo and Mr. Clutch like this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You know how many Receivers have Andre Johnson's Height/Weight? Many. Doesn't mean they are Andre Johnson...lol

crispy123 likes this.
  16. Nimo

Nimo Member

I hear you. But We can't really say they didn't address the line, they drafted two linemen.

As far as prospects go, Nick Martin is better than any guard in this draft. You don't waste another draft pick just to replace him. He played guard in college so it is not a new position for him. You're better off sticking with analysis from last year's draft. That leaves two positions: RT and RG. I can understand wanting to give Allen another chance (especially since he was fighting injuries) and do you really want three guard competing for one spot? And if you really do, you have Kyle Fuller that was drafted today. To me, the only real question mark is at RT. I have no idea what their plan is for that spot.

17. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

The funniest part of the video...
    "I'm not gonna make this a race thing"

Then continues to make it a race thing.

lol

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure it was a letdown, knowing from all your scouting you had done that they might have a lot more potential than their draft spot showed them at. I remember seeing Jake Butt available when we chose Watkins. Jake was a higher rated player, but they must have decided they needed a DT much more than a TE. Denver jumped right on Jake right after our pick. Maybe Rick and Bill had scouted Watkins, and liked what he did playing for a championship team. As for Yancey, I guess they just needed to feel our bigger needs more. They sure weren't going for the best guys available at the time. We still needed a Safety and Offensive Lineman.

I thought both our S and OT picks were odd. They really dug deep in the rankings for both of them. The positions were going fast, so they had to, but there were lots of higher rated players at each position. Maybe they knew something nobody else knew from a lot of study like you did on Yancey. When they drafted Davenport I wanted them to draft Zach Banner. He was the top OT available at the time, and is a giant of a man. The weight could be an issue if not controlled though, but wow, he could be a force. When they drafted Decoud I thought they would go for Jadar Johnson from Clemson, who was rated much higher. They had their reasons I guess. Let's hope it all works out.

If it makes you feel any better I wanted to cry when we didn't get Mahomes. I felt like Kansas City came up from behind us and just stole him right out from under us. I was crushed. He was the only one I really wanted bad in the draft. But, at least we got a quarterback, and one of the best available this year. That in itself gives me hope. All in all we came out with a potentially really good quarterback and running back, which both could add a little excitement to a dull and boring offense.

19. the shark

the shark Member

Saw this on another site (picks by Power 5 conferences):

1) SEC 53 picks
    2) ACC 43
    3) Pac12 36
    4) Big10 35
    **5) AAC 15
    6) Big12 14

Flat out embarrassing that the AAC had more players picked then the Big12!!

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    I actually had a similar, but slightly different, set of thoughts while observing the Texans' draft.

Round 1: "Hey, I watched the NCAA championship game and saw Watson succeed!" Nevermind the issues with arm strength, accuracy, or Wonderlic, he moved the ball on Alabama on the big stage! This is Vince Young/Johnny Manziel draft pick-supporting logic. But they had to do it because they totally whiffed on Osweiler and stubbornly didn't get a QB in the last two drafts. In fact, Rick Smith's investment in QBs in the draft is so gawd awful that literally the only QB picks he's made in the last SIX YEARS were Tom Savage in Round 4 in 2014 and TJ Yates in Round 5 in 2011. And we wonder why we are in this position...

Round 2: "Hey, it's Kiper's BPA! He's been doing this for 30+ years!"

Round 3: "Did you see this year's Red River Showdown? FOREMAN!"

No scouting department necessary -- just keep the tv tuned to ABC and spend the $5/ton a month for the ESPN insider package. I really hope I am wrong about Watson, but I am almost never wrong about anything. This reeks of a desperation move that was not made by the on-the-ground football guys, but rather a front office in panic/job preservation mode.

GOOD DAY