1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] 2017 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Apr 25, 2017.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They must think he can play other positions on the line, hmmmm. Maybe they got some info on him in interviews or tryouts.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

lol @ Chad Kelly

Fulgore likes this.
  3. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Practice squad depth

4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I would have thought they would have gone for an OT or OG. We already have 2 centers.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

6. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Semantics.

1) I look at every scout site there is on the internet. I don't bother getting magazines.

2) I view every You Tube highlight video the past two yrs. Unlike Harden they mostly show them at their best.

3) I view as many game videos on you tube vs quality opponents. Just focused on that individual.
    I try to break down their games strengths and weaknesses.

4)T ry to estimate how it translates to the NFL level or teams.

If you do more.....then more power to you.

Because of Osweiler I didn't review the Quarterbacks.....namely Dak Prescott. But I feel I would have reviewed
    him well enough to say whether he would have been good to decent to bad. Sometimes it's timing.
    Some kids mature mentally or physically just as they graduate.

Of course I'm not privileged to information such as to their associates or mental status. Vince Young
    had some great games at the right time. Then we found out he always surrounded himself with people
    telling him he was always the greatest. Diva syndrome set in. Didn't like criticism. RG III reportedly asked
    the coaching staff to not show negative footage of him on film day. Another one with a Diva syndrome.
    It's always a crap shoot. Just try to limit any damage.

#1106 Jatman20, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Fuller most likely playing G...or at least, he'll give us depth at 3 positions on the line. It's a 7th round pick... If he makes the team, that's good enough.

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Totally agree. OL and DL are positions you can never have too many of.

9. mightybosstone

I'm sorry dude, but I kind of fail to see your point. So you spend a lot of time watching Youtube videos and reading the opinions of other analysts, therefore that makes you more qualified to judge NFL prospects than people who do that for a living? Sorry man, but I'm not buying it. If NFL teams didn't draft those guys earlier, then there's probably a pretty good reason for it. And obviously there are players who overachieve and underachieve their drafted positions, but I'm still more than likely to take the opinion of 32 NFL teams over you.

10. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Yeah I really don't care what you think either. Just press ignore on my posts if you don't like them. Green Bay picked
    the guy I wanted in the 5th round. There is no changing that. Packers and I saw a good player that is going to
    be difficult to stop. Those are decisions that make winners. You can continue being a loser.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Jatman20 and Rashmon like this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

A center lol weird...

I'm guessing either mancz or Martin move to guard? Martin seems the more likely candidate.

Brown-Martin-Mancz-XSF-Davenport starters?
    Fuller-Allen-Clark depth?

I dont know, maybe it's just me but I'm thoroughly underwhelmed by the emphasis on OL. The positions as a whole, kinda baffling. I'm sure the players are good, didn't do my usual amount of draft reading but the needs seemed a little more straightforward than what the selections came to...

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I can't believe the entire league passed on your guy for the first four rounds, him being unstoppable and all.

TheFreak likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It was always likely that Mancz would move to guard, and that's why I told you earlier that the Texans only had one starting O line job available to begin with and that's RT.

Fuller is a project type player who is most likely to be a guard if he ever ends up developing into a quality player.

Davenport should be able to play one of the tackle spots in the future, but he's another raw prospect that is unlikely to factor in this year. The most likely scenario at RT will be the Texans picking up a vet who is a June 1st cut

Nook likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

A part of me wanted us to draft Zach Banner for our 7th pick, just because he is a 6'8" 353lb OT. I didn't know anything about him, but simply wanted a jolly green giant of an offensive lineman built like a Samoan on steroids. He would make JJ Watt look like a small man. Wow, just the thought of someone like that on our offensive line would be awesome. But........Indy snagged him up on their 7th round pick, so I guess if he ever starts for Indy we will see how big he looks across from JJ and Clowney.

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a shitty plan that will yield a shitty OL.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So having 4 solid O line spots and 1 where you bring in a vet will make it "shitty"? Look, I wanted to draft a guy at RT near the top of the class too, but I think you are very much overreacting. It's not ideal, but it's also not the end of the world....probably.

I'd be much more worried about potentially trading up for a bust QB and having no picks in the first or second round next season than I would be about possible weakness at 1 O line spot.

rezdawg likes this.
  18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I don't understand your panic regarding the OL.

19. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I'm familiar with that member from another site years back. That person loves criticizing and stirring the
    pot. Tag him in debate and he skirts aside and redirects the debate to something else, and then repeats
    the cycle until you end up back at the original topic. Chase your tail game. I refuse to play it.
    I set him to ignore.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think they'll let Martin give a crack at C first knowing what they have in Mancz. Don't think Davenport will be ready to start so unfortunately that might leave Clark as your starting RT. Still have Lamm and Slade on roster as well.

Brown-Allen-Martin-XSF-Clark
    Lamm-Slade-Mancz-Fuller-Davenport

Our 2 deep as it stands today but June 1st will be a date to closely watch. OL is not in great shape but not as bad as some are making it out IMO.