1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official 2017-18 NBA MVP Vote Count Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacLovin, Apr 13, 2018.

1. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Didn’t see him when I scanned the list.

Will keep digging

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

What I find interesting at this point last year it was already determined based on what was put out by media who would win. According to this old article which was published on April 21st of last year:

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2017/...-westbrook-nba-mvp-james-harden-vote-tracking

They had 62 total first place votes listed, right now only 38 have been accounted for according to @MacLovin post. I wonder if the league has made an effort to tell the media not to reveal their selections to make their awards show actually dramatic. Right now it looks like its Harden's to lose (where have I heard this before though?). Last year Westbrook got 69 first place votes in the end, IMO Harden will not reach that many to win it this year. I am thinking he will get in the high 50s when its all said and done.

ElDobleK and DonKnock like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think Harden will get more than the high 50's. In terms of 1st place votes, last year it was Westbrook, Harden and Kawhi in a 3 way battle. I think LeBron got ONE vote. But we knew it would be a Westbrook Harden battle. This year, I feel the battle is "less" and there really isn't that "3rd guy" like Kawhi to take 1st place votes. You have AD, but I think he will get 2nd place votes but not 1st.

I see Harden 60+ votes. I mean, it is 33 to 5 right now. That's a pretty strong number and likely translates to 60+ at the end. I don't see "the hidden votes" being this huge Lebron, AD push.

As for us seeing less votes public, I DO agree that the league is trying to discourage voters from going public before the show.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I felt last year's race was pretty much neck and neck the way it was being talked about, but then the final totals were 69 first place votes for WB and 22 for Harden with KL getting 9 and LeBron 1. This year its been opposite with the media talking about who should also be considered (namely LeBron and AD) but people are voting for Harden but I wouldn't be surprised if its closer than it seems. The media just has it out for Harden. 3 seasons again when he was runner up against Curry - Curry had 100 first place votes compared to 25 for Harden (more voters then). And that race too was considered neck and neck in the media leading up to the announcement. I just think it would make for a good story (which is what the media wants) how LeBron and/or AD made such a strong showing late in the season to make the MVP race closer than it should be.

D-rock, saleem and DonKnock like this.
  5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I think voters were very excited to publicize their vote last year beause they were swept up in the triple double bandwagon. People were so proud to “be part of history” rejecting the traditional top 3 seed and 50 wins standard.

Now that they look stupid for doing so they are less inclined to reveal their votes because they got deserved backlash from Rockets fans over the last year on social media.

D-rock, Richie_Rich, AXG and 2 others like this.
  6. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

The vote total so far would equate to 87 votes for Harden in the final tally. I think we all believe it's a little closer than that. But he should get to the 60's comfortably. Another note is that 3/5 LeBron voters that we have so far are new to the voting this year. There were only expected to be 10-12 new voters IIRC. And at least 2 voters (Simmons and Guillory) have AD as their second-place. I haven't seen Harden out of the top 2 yet.

I'll go out on a limb and predict 75 first-place votes for Harden. I don't believe AD gets any first-place votes.

Vivi, Deuce, BMoney and 1 other person like this.
  7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

No drama here. No writers with compelling points to make in either direction. People just assume it’s Harden and move on. As long as we don’t have a Hillary-don’t-vote-because-it’s-inevitable situation going on we’ll be fine.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  8. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

Frank Isola said on Around The Horn today that he voted for James Harden for his MVP so there's another one

9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Playoffs don't count

saleem likes this.
  10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

This needs to be pointed out every year lol

11. Houston112

Houston112 Member

does brian scalabrine have a vote.. if so i think we know who he voted for

clutchdabear and withmustard like this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so this cuck dan patrick attributed harden's success to traveling

and white mamba misses the key component to what makes harden the best offensive player -- his hyperelite court vision which makes him a threat all over the floor for whichever teammate the defense is forced to leave open

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I am not going to bother to see when this award is going to be announced. It seems quite dumb to me though that it is announced this long after the season is over. And yes I am aware that the finals was a sweep. BUT STILL

14. HRox832

HRox832 Member

June 25th at the NBA Awards show. I agree though, I think it's stupid that the NBA is announcing the awards so late.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This award is stupid... unless Harden wins it. Then he's the best and this MVP trophy proves it.

BigMaloe, Killatron 2000 and durvasa like this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

should really be harden's 2nd, perhaps 3rd trophy. he should just not even show up this time. *** silver

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

He should accept the award, live, from Treasures. Thanks God, his parents, and his teammates and coaches all while getting lap dances.

It would really add to the proceedings.

BigMaloe and pippendagimp like this.
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

while wearing a replica tony brothers ref jersey :D

D-rock likes this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

FYI, LeBron isn't even going to attend the awards show.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s really lame how they’re doing this awards show nonsense

1 of the best things about winning MVP is accepting it in front of your home fans during the playoffs (TC would’ve been half empty, but still...)