[Official] 2016-17 NBA MVP Voting Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by samtaylor, Apr 11, 2017.

1. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

More votes for James
    [​IMG]

No Chill Rocket likes this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not much speculation needed when we know who's going to win

Mathrocker likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm a little confused by the article vs. the spreadsheet.

The article: http://sports.yahoo.com/m/35e62215-b834-302c-8bc5-c046371e2c76/ss_update:-with-60-mvp-votes.html
    Notes that with the 60 votes the race is Westbrook 512 vs. Harden 441.

However the article connects to the spreadsheet:
    Which has the 60 votes and shows the race at Westbrook 463 vs. Harden 336

Maybe the top # uses estimates for 2nd place votes, as the spreadsheet shows them only confirming 35 second place votes.

The distinction is important if we still care. In either case, let's assume the 512 vs. 441 is a good estimate. It might be off a tad as he doesn't seem to have all the 2nd place votes, but should be close.

With 40 votes left then, if you assume the guy either gets a 1st place or 2nd place vote on all ballots, Harden would need to come in first in 32 of the 40 remaining votes. Especially when you factor in he already has Reggie Miller and Jacques Monclar voting for Westbrook, just not confirmed in the votes because he hasn't confirmed they actually have votes yet. Assuming they do, that means Harden would have to come in first in 32 of the remaining 38 votes.

There might be a little wiggle room in Harden's favor here, as it appears that Harden is more likely to come in either 1st or 2nd (only 1 confirmed 3rd place so far), whereas Russ is slightly more likely to have a couple 3rd place votes (4 confirmed 3rd place votes so far). But it won't change the implications meaningfully. For example, if you assume Russ gets 5 third place votes of the remaining 40 ballots, Harden would still need to come in first on 31 of the remaining 40.

Basically... Russ is your 2017 MVP. Time to move on.

da_juice likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ok, so doing the math, it looks like Russ is at 512 if you take his current confirmed total, and then assume on 2nd place votes (25) that aren't sure that everywhere Harden comes in first, Russ comes in 2nd.

Not sure where the Harden 441 comes in. Because if I do the opposite, and assume everywhere Harden isn't at first in the 25 unconfirmed 2nd place votes that he gets the second, then his total would be at 462, not 441.

Basically I just filled in the unconfirmed 25 second place votes with either Harden (if he didn't get 1st) or Russ (if Harden is in first). It won't turn out exactly like this as both might get a 3rd place vote hear or there, and there are a couple of spots where Lebron is first and there's no 2nd place and who knows how that person would vote second.

In any case, if its 462 instead of 441, then Harden needs to take 29 of the remaining 40.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

If Westbrook wins (and I think he will) this series will go 7 games thats for sure the league will ensure it. No way will they want the MVP to be swept or pushed out in 5 like that. I cant remember the last time it has happened to an MVP since Dirk lost in 6 in the first round.

Come to think of it I cant recall the last time we've had an MVP that isn't favored to win in the first round.

6. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

except it doesn't matter, the awards is announced after the championship and it's based on the regular season and narrative

7. blu_monkey

blu_monkey Contributing Member

Kevin Harlan was on 610. He said that he couldn't disclose his vote, but hinted that Harden's play was on his mind as he voted.

8. The_Yoyo

The NBA knows who won since votes were due late Friday night the last thing they want is a negative narrative heading into the summer of the MVP losing badly in the first round. Having it go 7 games makes this unconventional MVP winner less controversial and they can keep the narrative of "teammates" "westbrook dragging team to 7 games"

the NBA only cares about its product and image - the rockets can beat the thunder in 4 or 5 but I would be shocked if that actually happens

pippendagimp likes this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I would completely agree if Stern was still commish, but Silver has a slightly less hands on approach. Harden and the Rockets need to make every game a blowout so there will be no chance of this happening.

DonKnock likes this.
  10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Correct. We will get a very bad whistle in at least 2 of the next 3 games. Not a doubt. Westbrook will go to the line a ton.

Also...the reason you can't recall the last time an MVP was favored in a series is because this is the first where winning games didn't matter.

11. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

I understand but I just think it's more controversial when they would announce it in round 2 when they normally do, but they pushed it to after the championship because they had a feeling WB would win. And people won't care about WB losing since he was dragging his teammates and of course because TRIPLE DOUBLE

12. The_Yoyo

Personally I dont mind when they announce it in the playoffs but they should announce it while the winner is still playing so that he can accept his trophy in front of his home crowd fans so they can show their appreciation. Having an awards show where only a certain group of people can attend is going to be lame. This isn't the ESPYs (though seems like where its headed)

Seeing Hakeem win his and acknowledging his teammates was a big moment for me as a Rockets fan. Equally seeing Robinson winning his and not acknowledging Hakeem was awesome. Having Iverson win it and then dropping 52 points on the raptors afterwards the fact I can remember that 16 years later is big.

While the voting was never a fan thing - this award show is going to lock out the people who matter the most to a team - the fans. I am not sure where the awards event will be (New York or LA) but no way will there be 15-18000 people there.

Look if Harden had won and the gave it to him during game 2 - it could fire up Westbrook and the Thunder - or vice versa if it was given to Westbrook before game 3 or 4. Teams will go at it for pride - I like to see that. Like in that Sixers/Raptors series - VC responded back the next night and had a huge game. We don't really get that anymore

13. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Oh no I agree, sorry was on my phone so i worded it wrong. I meant NBA had a feeling WB would win so if they announced it during round 2, good chance WB wouldn't be able to accept it while still playing, which be a controversial for WB to win it.

Also I don't see how they can have an awards show. There aren't too many awards to carry a show and players are gonna be on vacation to care about this.

The_Yoyo likes this.
  14. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

They pushed back the announcements because they wanted to overshadow the players awards show. I don't think Westbrook had anything to do with it but I could be wrong.

15. MystikArkitect

Is Vegas still taking bets on this? If so I'd find that curious.

16. basketballholic

basketballholic Contributing Member

17. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

nice bump
    what i really meant to say was
    gtfo

BigShasta likes this.
  18. Mathrocker

Mathrocker Member

stay calm

19. BigMaloe