1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officer Kills Pedestrian -- Protesters "Rip" Officials

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dc sports, Sep 7, 2000.

1. dc sports

dc sports Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/659486

Sept. 6, 2000, 10:15PM
    Protesters rip officials in pedestrian's death
    By PEGGY O'HARE -- Copyright 2000 Houston Chronicle

Black protesters slammed Houston city officials Wednesday for demonstrating a "cold and callous" response after a young African-American man was hit and killed by a police car driven by a white officer last week.

Hours after the funeral for Robert Earl Ray Jr., 20, his family and friends gathered with Quanell X of the New Black Panther Party outside the Houston Police Department's South Command station to call for justice and demand a meeting with the police chief.

Ray, a student attending school on an academic scholarship, died instantly Aug. 30 when he was fatally struck by the police car while walking across the street at the intersection of Mykawa and Bellfort. The officer, Micah Keith Webb, was on his way to assist another officer chasing a suspect and had his overhead lights on, but no siren. Webb, 27, remains on administrative duty while the accident is being investigated.

However, a preliminary police report states the pedestrian failed to yield the right of way to an emergency vehicle.

Police Chief C.O. Bradford on Wednesday called the accident an "unfortunate tragedy" and expressed sympathy for Ray's family and the officer. But activists blasted Bradford and other city officials for never calling the family to offer condolences and only commenting publicly once Wednesday's planned protest came to light.

"The way the Houston Police Department has handled this tragedy is truly a disgrace," said Quanell X. "We want to say to you, `Chief Bradford, how can you extend condolences to the family through the press, yet you have not picked up the phone to call this black family yet?' ... We say the hell with your condolences." Had a black police officer fatally struck someone on River Oaks Boulevard at a high rate of speed, he said, Mayor Lee Brown would have come "with his hat in his hand" to apologize to the family.

Family members dabbed their eyes as Minister Robert Muhammad of the Nation of Islam made similar remarks. "Are you telling me the city fathers and mothers are so busy naming a football team they couldn't send a representative to the funeral today?" he asked.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

2. dc sports

dc sports Member

As conservative as I am, I agree that they have a beef. (Although I don't think it has anything to do with racism.) Mayor Brown & Lester Tyra had heads rolling over the "donut" incident with the fire department, where no life was in danger and no one suffered. Yet they didn't extend their condolences to this family -- where a person was killed by a police officer.

FYI -- And this has bothered me for some time. The State of Texas (and almost every other state) does not recognize a "Code 2," lights with no siren, emergency. If emergency vehicles are travelling to an emergency, and wish to use the option of ignoring some traffic rules, they must use audible and visible warning devices (lights and sirens -- Code 3). Now there are situations, especially within the police department, where they do need to approach the scene quietly. They can use their lights as warning devices, but they have no more rights concerning traffic laws than any other car.

This wasn't such a situation. If it was a true emergency, the officer had no reason to proceed without using his siren -- a tool provided to him to help avoid this situation. The officer chose to use lights only, and ran down a pedestrian crossing the street at an intersection. The police department is covering themselves with the "failure to yield to an emergency vehicle" defense, because they have to in order to protect themselves. But, according to the law, the officer is completely at fault.

From what I've seen, HPD seems to be much more lenient and unsafe with their emergency driving than other police agencies. (Texas DPS tends to be even worse.) The Houston Fire department also tends to break emergency driving guidelines (though they don't ever seem to have a problem with using their sirens.) I hope the city will address this before it causes more injuries.

Any thoughts?

------------------
    Stay Cool...

3. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

It would be too bad if Quannell X developed inoperable, late-stage metastatic brain cancer.

4. dc sports

dc sports Member

Madmax, thank you. Your check is in the mail. [​IMG]

I don't think the HPD officer intended to run anyone down either. He was reckless and negligent. The city shares his fault though, since the department seems to encourage this type of driving.

Unfortunately, I don't think any changes will be made -- not unless more incidents occur. In a way our fire department, and to a lesser extent the police department, seem to be guilty of the same type of organizational culture flaws that caused the A&M bonfire disaster. The culture has been built up over many years, and at least in this area has lost it's focus.

Mayor Brown, when he was elected, made a promise that he hasn't mentioned in a long time. He said that he was very disappointed, listening to the reports on KTRH, that every day the traffic reporter mentioned some accident with a "city vehicle" or a "city emergency vehicle." He promised to start an initiative to make safety the primary driving focus of all city employees.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Now, I can't stand that mo-fo, Quanell X, but he is right about one thing. There is no reason that the police cheif or the mayor couldn't have taken the time to personally offer their condolences to the grieving family.

I agree with DC as well. The officer is 100% at fault and should be held responsible accordingly.

------------------
    I am the founding member of the Butt-Nekkid Party! White House here we come!

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Ugggggggggggggggggg

What does this have to do with race????

------------------
    ...out with the old, in with the new...

7. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

To those of you who thinks it has nothing to do with race, what are you questioning?

Are you questioning that the accident had something to do with race?

If so, I don't think any sane person thinks it does.

Are you questioning the fact that the city has handled the situation poorly has anything to do with race?

If so, then in my opinion you're wrong. Just like Quannell X said,

And, I totally believe that to be true. If you question it, then you are blind to the subtleties of racism (or racial bigotry if that makes you feel better).

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

8. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I'm not sure if I've posted this story before, but it's another example of a police officer abusing the traffic laws.

A Hispanic couple were riding down the freeway with their 8 month old daughter in the back seat (just like any good parent would do). They were observing all traffic regulations, riding in one lane, not driving excessively fast (dont' know their exact speed but was approximately 60 - 65).

It was late in the evening, dark outside. There was very little traffic, if any. But, little did they know that suddenly their lives would be irreversably changed.

A police officer was heading to the scene of some crime (may have been officer in need of assistance). He was coming up behing the couple in the car, but couldn't see them.

Both cars were on this three or four lane highway (can't remember which right now). There were no cars in the far left lane. There were no cars in the far right lane. The couple was travelling in the middle lane. The police officer was in the middle lane as well. He was travelling with his emergency lights on but as in the incident mentioned above, he did not have his siren on.

He was travelling at 110 mph. Since, it was dark, he didn't have time to react quickly enough and slammed into the back of the car the couple was driving (again there were no other cars in the other lanes, I've seen the video tape). The impact slightly injured the mother, but she was able to fully recover. The driver, the father, the husbans and bread winner injured his back to where he can no longer do the work he was employed to do. The little 8 month old baby in the back seat was killed.

These people lost their baby, their income, and were told that they could not sue the police department because they did not yield to an emergency vehicle.

What a load of crap. I believe now thinking about it, that I have posted this before. Because I remember what I said I would do if that same thing happened to me. I won't repeat it, because it's not the right thing to do, but dammit sometimes ... sometimes the wrong thing to do is the only thing to do.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

9. dc sports

dc sports Member

You have posted it before.

If I remember correctly, it was DPS, IMHO one of the worst offenders.

FYI -- The Texas Law which provides the guidelines for emergency vehicles gives a vehicle with lights and sirens 10 MPH over the speed limit, depending on the road conditions. Separately, you aren't supposed to travel faster than you can safely control the vehicle.

Again, lights only gives a police officer absolutely no rights beyond any other car on the road. They should have pushed it.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If it would have been a white person we wouldn't be talking about it now would we?? This country makes me sick , James Byrd was killed in cold blood by drunk rednecks , NYPD shoot black people who reach down in their car . I think if a policeman comes around a corner or whatever and happens to see a black man walkling across the street but he has no regard so he runs over him it is totally wrong and he is a murderer . Now if we have seen this before We immediatly presume that the policeman intentionally ran over him instead of it being an accident , We will never know will we ?

------------------
    This signature space for rent call 555 ...

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't know if anyone is saying this is intentional. The complaint is that it was negligence (perhaps recklessness) on the part of the police officer...AND...that the response to the family was lacking.

DC again writes a fantastic post. I too am bothered when I see police officers slipping and weaving through traffic with their lights flashing but with no siren on. Maybe this unfortunate incident will bring this problem to the awareness of those at City Hall and bring about some change.

------------------