1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Offical] Astros vs. Red Sox ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 10, 2018.

1. HstnSprtsFan101

Porcello. Big contrast from Eovaldi tonight. Gotta get it going. I say one more shot for Correa

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I'm sure teams do, but it's gotta be a little embarrassing to get caught. They'll probably just get fined.

3. Nook

Nook Member

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Didn't MLB already close the Boston case? There's even less here. The only reason its coming out now is because the media picked up on the Boston story.

The Dodgers apparently were filming from their CF last year. Boston has been accused of communicating with apple watches at some point. Its become a unique part of today's game, with modern technology able to pick up on this.

Honestly, a team could have a small hidden camera in the opposing team dugout, along with a HD camera in CF for catcher signs, all synced up... and no opposing team would ever really know about it.

This article itself admits that it could all be mis-direction, in order to get a team so paranoid that they eventually confuse themselves with the sign changes (which often leads to cross-ups and wild pitches).

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Right exactly. It's more widespread than actually reported upon. All I was saying was the media making it a bigger deal by reporting on it doesn't make it look good. The same happened to the Red Sox last year with the Apple Watch stuff. It's more of a matter of getting caught. Teams will continue to do this until there's a better way to enforce this which seems kind of impossible with the technology available these days.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think its as bad as trying to figure out if an opposing pitcher is using an illegal substance... and posting videos/pics of said substance on twitter. The optics on that looked far worse.

Every team has the ability to have somebody recording every catcher sign, and what they change to with guys on base. Its code breaking/hacking at its finest... and remember, these are athletes coming up with these signs, not PHD physicists who can calculate every possible permutation thats been done previously and adjust accordingly.

In the end, I've always been of the mindset that the best teams/players could almost tell you what's going to come... and you still have to not only make contact, but hit it where they aint.

7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Left the stadium disappointed but still optimistic. We wanted the prime time games so let's win them. Game 4 is yuuuge

sammy likes this.
  8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Very well thought out and reasonable post. I agree with all of it but you omitted Hinch’s choice to go with Joe Smith in that tight spot. Also, the choice to go with Osuna and the choice to stick with him. Other than that, yes the hitting has failed us in the last 2 games. We don’t have a cleanup hitter and much of the lower half of the lineup is not getting it done. Yuli has incredible success w/risp all
    year but fails repeatedly lately (minus the 3 run bomb in an already decided game 1).

Now an unknown in Morton taking the hill tomorrow. If he comes out all guns blazing like last years playoffs and we win, the team will get fired up. He’s gotta dominate though because our hitters might stay in this funk. At some point they gotta pay for the walks to bregman.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I've never been a fan of getting guys in just to get them work. I know Hinch had to pitch Osuna at some point... and I'm sure he regrets not giving him an inning in game 1 or 2 after he'd already had 4 days off (regardless of score). I also thought he should have pulled him once he allowed the second guy on base... at that point, the pitch count was above 20 (eliminating him from pitching 2 innings should they have taken the lead), and nothing "good" could have come from the rest of the outing.

The Joe Smith move was of the similar ilk, just far earlier in the game. I wasn't as questioning of this move in the moment... yes, he also needed some work... but he's clearly far behind Pressly-McHugh-McCullers in the pecking order and with everybody available, I would have gone to somebody else.

Maybe it all pays dividends in game 5 or 6... when Smith strikes out two guys with the bases loaded... its still a small sample size, but in the scope of a series that has only one more off day between 5 games, you do have to make some of these set up type moves.

10. Elienator

Elienator Member

He didn’t put Smith or Osuna in just to get work and putting them in the game wasn’t the big mistake. He put Osuna in during a high leverage situation instead of leaving him on the bench. Leaving Osuna in after he hit two batters was the big mistake.

11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Smith was a big mistake. Should not have used him in that situation. McHugh or McCullers should’ve pitched instead of Osuna. It was high leverage but non save. There is a difference when it comes to closers. Hinch fukked up a lot today. Consider Osuna’s mental state going forward. He may be fried.

12. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

Hinch did **** the bed tonight but primary reason for loss is poor hitting and hinch has little to do with that.

Just saw a clip with osuna and he was adamant he made the right pitch to Bradley. Not sure I agree that pitch was executed like we wanted but I don’t think he’s mentally fragile. He’s a confident dude.

What baffled me about the osuna call was using him down a run knowing we have games tomorrow and Thursday. He can’t be used all 3 games obviously. Why use your closer down a run in game 1 of the Home set when you may need him to close games 2 and 3?

Hopefully pressly or lance get a shot at a save tomorrow or Thursday should we be in a position to lock down both games late as Roberto can’t be used 3 games in a row.

everyday eddie and Tomstro like this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hinch stating that he would likely use Osuna in games 2 or 3 even when trailing is him saying "he needs to pitch... he hasn't pitched for almost 10 days". For that reason, I thought he should have pitched the 9th of game 1 vs. Mchugh, even though it wasn't a save situation.

Pitch count was up to 17 once he allowed the single to Devers. He looked rusty, like he needed to pitch.... but like I said above, nothing good was going to come after he allowed the second hit.

Him hitting Holt was a total fluke, but it happened. Him hitting Moreland was inexcusable, and by that point he's going to get less effective even if he wasn't rusty.

He'll be better the next time out, but long layoffs wreak havoc on guys who rely on pinpoint control, and are accustomed to pitching multiple games in a row routinely.

14. Buck Turgidson

Not worried, and neither team cares, but the Stros got cold busted from what I read.

15. MystikArkitect

Boston people are OUTRAGED by the Astros stealing signals. How could a team stoop to this level? How??

Tomstro likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Seriously? Cheating to win? Why would anyone even think about that? In Boston?

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Red Sox win
    Celtics win

Pats won a few nights ago

All Boston sports teams are good and have been good for most of the decade. Boston sports dominating.

18. Buck Turgidson

Would you pay that price?

All of your sports teams are great, but you have to be from Massachusetts?

Spacemoth likes this.
  19. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

Lol... it ain’t Iraq!

20. Buck Turgidson

Have you ever spent time around those people?

Not the Iraqis, btw.