1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offensive Class Name

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DFWRocket, Sep 6, 2016.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

the short version:
    A 6th grade teacher asks the students (of varying ethnicities and races) to come up with a name for the class. The students decided it should be the "Jigaboos", so the teacher (not knowing the word) made it the class name and put it on a sign in the classroom. "Mr's ____'s Jigaboos"

A child told his dad that evening when the dad asked what they did at school that day and the the dad immediately took action.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/educ...-gives-class-a-racial-slur-for-a-nickname.ece

Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD has apologized after a sixth-grade teacher gave her class a racial slur — "Jighaboos" — for a nickname.

The father of a student in the class told KDFW-TV (Channel 4) that he learned about the class's nickname when he asked about his child's day at school.

He then went to Bell Manor Elementary School and took a picture of a laminated sign in his child's classroom. "I had to see it myself," he said.

The sign reads: "Mrs. _______'s Jighaboos are at school today to achieve our 6th grade goals and prepare for 7th grade."

The child said other classes got different nicknames — such as the "Dream Team" — and that students recite the sign out loud.

The father said his child's teacher is white and that the children in the class are white, black and Latino.

H-E-B ISD officials told KDFW that the teacher didn't know that the word is an offensive term that refers to black people.

In a written statement, the district said: "[We] would like to extend an apology for the inappropriate actions taken by one of our elementary teachers who failed to vet a class name. We take this situation seriously and the issue was immediately addressed with the principal and classroom teacher. Both the principal and the teacher have apologized to the parent reporting this concern."

But the father whose child alerted him to the nickname said, "Ignorance is not a defense."

My thoughts: I can easily see how the teacher didn't know the term was a slur since it is such an antiquated word. - especially if the teacher is youngish (like in her 20's). I don't think I've ever heard that term used in conversation in my entire life and I'm 43. If it was the N-word or something more common, I wouldn't accept that as an explanation (notice I said explanation, NOT excuse). Being the spouse of a teacher, I can understand how teachers are extremely busy and hurried in the first couple of weeks, however the teacher REALLY should have googled the term before accepting the students suggestion.

However, what do you think is the appropriate response by the district?

After watching the video and reading the article, I'm still not sure what the dad is wanting to happen, as they never addressed it.

I think a formal apology by the teacher is appropriate along with the teacher being written up, but many in the area are calling for more action.

do you think that is fair?

2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I think an apology and being written up is acceptable...

The one thing I can't understand from the teacher is this... With all the technology from computers in the room to smart phones is why didn't she research the word and definition if she didn't know what it was or meant...

T_Man

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you have to give her/him the benefit of the doubt and just let it go. An apology should suffice - especially since it was the children who came up with the name - and black students were part of that group.

Not everyone is going to be versed on that expression - it's somewhat antiquated.

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

H.E.B ISD? SMH privatization of education going too far.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Didn't the kids come up with the name?

6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I was thinking the same thing, but then someone mentioned elsewhere that she may have tried to search it, but misspelled it (its misspelled on her class sign) - if she had searched it misspelled and with quotation marks around it, it may not have brought up any results (depending on the search engine, or the safety-blocked school search engines)

7. amaru

amaru Member

She's not too bright. A simple google search will tell you what that means.

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

LOL - it stands for Hurst, Euless, Bedford - the cities served by the district

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Jighaboo sounds like one of them Pokeyman names. I'm on Team Teacher.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Should've gone with The Classy McClassFaces

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've never heard that term before.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Even if you're unfamiliar with the word in particular, the construction of the word looks like a slur even if it was made up on the spot. You should look askance at any word ending in -boo.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

TBH I wouldn't have known what it was either.

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I can see that point of view....

T_Man

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is clear evidence of oppression and I think the only solution is to burn the town down.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Why is that? I'm not disputing your claim, I just am uninformed as to why that ending should inspire suspicion.

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

Example #1: Honey Boo Boo

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Because that word ending is taboo.

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Jigga what jigga who?

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Kroger ISD is LOLing.