1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offense is not the problem!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Streets 01, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

I’m seeing “basketball breakdown” threads, Jalen Rose threads, and threads from people here dissecting the preseason Rockets and trying to pick holes in everything they see in order to prove “it won’t work”.

I don’t believe in using the preseason as a serious metric but if you want to use that for your argument, we led the league in PPG, points per possession, second chance points (huge given last years problems), and were third in points per shot. Yes playing against China skews this data big time.

Harden looks better than last year’s historic season and the year before’s MVP season. And he’s barely trying. The team is getting some great looks and just happens to be missing. This will likely tighten up as the season progresses and players find their rhythm. There are definitely some chemistry kinks to work out as players adapt to Westbrook. And Westbrook himself is definitely working himself back into form coming off injury.

Harden “walking back” when Westbrook has the ball is also a bit overblown. Harden did mention that it’ll be nice for him to sit back and cheer on WB as he takes over sometimes. I guess he meant literally? Haha. But seriously, he did this with CP and we were still one of the top offenses in the league. The taking turns thing is not some Westbrook-Harden can’t mesh BS. I was very excited during the last game to see us take a lead against an undefeated team despite them both struggling to start, then when Harden sat Westbrook pushed the pace and killed it (until he hurt his finger) only to have Harden come back and find his rhythm and put up another epic performance. This is how I imagine the team functions going forward. Harden lulls you to sleep, then sits and WB attacks you non stop. I’m very excited.

Defense is the thing no one is talking about though. Harden and Westbrook are turnstiles on the perimeter. Tucker is getting older and can’t be everywhere at once. Opponents just seem to be scoring on us at will as we are switching late, getting beat back door and have had games where opponents have a free line to the basket. Harden is great as a post defender so the switching works for him. Hopefully we can find a way to utilize Westbrook’s strengths as well. We were 7th highest in opponent FG% and points allowed. And collectively our opponents shot a higher percentage from the field and from three than we did. And yes, this includes the games in China.

Despite the injuries, chemistry issues, rust, Harden disinterest without the ball, missing good looks, etc. this team is scoring buckets and will only get better at it. Offense will not be a problem. If this team is to win a chip, it has to be way better on defense. If defense really is about effort and people aren’t going all out because it’s preseason, then that’s one thing and the team will come correct when the games matter. However, if this is what to expect going forward, we may be in some trouble. The first 10-20 games will be crucial.

carib, topfive, BaselineFade and 11 others like this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

Good post OP, it happens last year, and it’s happening again, people just forget about defense.

Highlyrated likes this.
  3. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Honestly we cant judge the defense. It's a new system. Preseason wont tell u. N the offense. Why are people tripping like guy said. Harden gonna watch on offense again did it with cp3 n hot to 1 game of a finals. Did it again but cp3 was too old.

So what they saying os russell Westbrook cant take over a game which we all know he can. So it doesnt matter if harden watches. Westbrook can def get around his man lol

HP3 likes this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Westbrook clearly isn’t in form yet. Give it a few weeks so he can get in game shape. His timing is all wacky atm.

I am mostly in fear of losing Jeff Bigs, and our switching scheme which to me was the biggest reason we should have beaten the GSW in 2018.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

a lot of people are talking about the defense, and lack of rebounding...this ain’t some revelation

defense and rebounding been looking suspect as hell...Harden alone guarantees a top offense

Highlyrated likes this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

I’m cool with offense, we’ll be fine there.

Defense is what we need, need more wing players.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I think it’s understood that D’Antoni has gone “All In” on Offense with the smallish team (Tucker at the 4
    and guards playing SF).

Problem is key players on the floor are referred to as lazy or poor on defense......Westbrook/Harden/Gordon.
    **Please don’t tell me Gordon is a good defender**

I believe D’Antoni wants a 15+ pt lead going into the 4th quarter......then insert Thabo/House with Capela/Tucker
    and one of Harden/Gordon/Westbrook to finish the game.

Good luck against the premier teams in the league (Clippers, Lakers, Bucks, 76ers). I think we can
    take most of the season series against Spurs, Blazers, Utah, Nuggets, Kings, etc during the regular
    season.

#7 ApacheWarrior, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yeah I’m concerned and wonder why they got rid of Jeff in the first place. Hope this doesn’t come back to haunt us. Teams are driving the lane at will. CP3 brought a balance and toughness that can’t be replaced by WB. Sometimes missing just one key guy can derail a whole team. Paul
    Set the tone in tenacity, toughness, and changed the mentality of the rox from its weak 2016-2017 lackluster play. I’m worried. Very worried.

HP3 likes this.
  9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Cleverly disguised "bring back Blossomgame" thread.

D-rock likes this.
  10. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I said it when we left Jeff go. Said it before Westy. With him it makes it worse. We will be a bottom 10 defensive team this year. We will win games in the regular season but we are not a contender

BasketMAD and GermanRoxFan like this.
  11. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

The problem on the defensive side is the lack of height at the 3 and 4 position, u cant play eric at the 3 ,pj is not a rim protector, hes good 1on1 but in drive ins he isnt at all ,and we have not depth at the 4 spot ,we need another 3/4 player whos atleast 6'8 and up,and is good at defense and.can handle post ups by opposing player and able to protect the rim.

BasketMAD likes this.