1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Off-Season moves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket2008, May 9, 2015.

1. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

1) Fire McHale
    2) Hire a good X's and O's coach known for in-game adjustments stressing defense
    3) Let Josh Smith walk unless he takes the veteran minimum, pursue Scola
    4) Re-sign Brewer only for cheap, he gambles too much and he's not been the defensive presence we sought
    5) Re-sign Beverley only for cheap and if he wants to come off the bench
    6) Keep Terry or Prigioni as veteran cheerleaders, nothing more
    7) Trade Jones or D-Mo in a package for a back-up wing / new starting PF / new starting PG
    8) Sign a veteran PF who is just solid defensively and plays big, none of these opportunistic flashy PFs who block shots but no fundamentals and with no brain (Josh) or big youngins who are scared (D-Mo) or just not great defensively and plays small (Jones).
    9) Look for that solid starting PG who can put pressure on defenses and takes the ball out of Harden's hands
    10) Pursue a veteran center like a Kaman who at least can play in the play-offs. I love Capela, but just too young.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

What if we hire Cuban to own this team?

3. kevtse

kevtse Member

If we are thinking to break another three pointer record, please drop the brick throwers and aquire someone who is automatic behind the arc.

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

1) How does Morey looks like when he resigns and then fires couple months later? Not happening
    2) Look 1)
    3) We won't be pursuing PFs this summer
    4) I agree, don't overpay Brewer.
    5) Re-sign Beverley ONLY as a backup PG.
    6) I don't think them being veterans gave any maturity to this team. Get rid of both. Especially since they'll be year older.
    7) I am sure Jones' price will be all time low after back to back horrible playoffs. Do it mid season so he could increase his value. Trading DMO this summer after what he did this season would be crime. Unless you get a starting PG material in return with a friendly contract.
    8) Look 3).
    9) Or just anyone who has any PG skills, someone unlike Bev.
    10) YES! But it's going to be super hard not to give Capela playing time if we do that.

5. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

it's not a jones or dmo scenario. they aren't comparable. jones is a bum.

6. conquistador#11

this is where morley wins his championships. Lamarcus coming to the H! We welcome him in with a huge photoshopped poster of him wearing Patbev's jersey. An hour from Lamarcus signing on the dotted line, he changes his mind and stays in portland. womp womp.

7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Brewer is let go. McDaniels takes over his role.

Sign Smith for 2 mill. Or let him walk.

Try to get a reasonable small deal with Bev.

Trade Jones or Ariza if possible. Get a proven PF or PG

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Let Bev go. Cant make a post entry pass to save his life as a point guard

9. Jblazea50

Jblazea50 Member

They need to sign a #2 scoring option. So Aldridge is a must if this team is to contend for a title.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I can already see Lamarcus getting Lamarcusd by Blake

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, number 1.... Les wanted McHale locked up, he's not going any where.

Number 11, if houston wins Sunday... do these threads stop till playoffs are actually done? Haha

12. eman

eman Contributing Member

I haven't given up hope; however, after last night's debacle, our thoughts to turn to the offseason. It's sad, but a true Clutchfans tradition. I have no doubt Les will give M&M one more year to run. Roster-wise, with Morey, who knows...

PG: Draft, trade, Llull, UPGRADE PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME... Bev/Prigioni are adequate backups at best.

SG: Harden. Can KJ learn to shoot? Draft?

SF: Ariza/Brewer. If Brew splits, what then? Dunleavy? Deng? Delfino? Batum? Draft?

PF: DMo. Would love to get Love, Aldridge, or Ryan Anderson. Seen enough of the Jekyll/Hyde acts that are Josh Smith and TJ.

C: Howard/Capela. Hope Capela puts on a few pounds by next season-- I have high hopes for him. Dorsey must go.

Bench: Nick? KJ? Reunite Prigioni, Scola, and Delfino to create next year's Band of Hermanos?

13. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Find the Wizard of Oz so we can get James a heart

14. roidrage

roidrage Member

Why won't the rockets go after a power forward like Aldridge a true super star???

15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

haha where have you been? It's not for want of trying.

Bosh and Anthony just rejected us. Maybe LMA and Love too will reject us.

16. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

McHale is not going anywhere. SW division title and advancing to the second round? He's staying.

1) Draft a PG in the first round [Preferably Jerian Grant]
    2) Let Bev go [Attempt to sign him, but a team WILL overpay him, such as Dallas or Utah]
    3) Bring over Sergio Llull to be new starting PG [MLE? Attacker, playmaker we need.]
    4) Let Prigioni go
    5) Re-sign Brewer using Bird Rights
    6) Keep McDaniels with QO [Hopefully his benching has lowered his value]
    7) Pick up K-Pap's option
    8) Convince Smoove to re-sign on the cheap, since he's getting money from Detroit. If he asks for more than ideal, let him go.
    9) Terry has been a big part of reshaping the locker room. Re-sign to vet minimum, but allow him to leave if he wishes to retire with Dallas
    10) Ditch Dorsey and sign Scola; Capela will bulk up and provide what Dorsey does w/ additional height
    11) Jones should be firmly put on the block and on the bench. We can only afford one player between him and D-Mo, and frankly, I'll live with D-Mo's poor rebounding if we're getting his post-moves, savvy defense and improving 3 point shot.

2015-2016 Houston Rockets

Llull/Rookie 1st Round PG (Grant?)/Terry
    Harden/McDaniels/Johnson
    Ariza/Brewer/K-Pap
    Motiejunas/Smith/Scola
    Howard/Jones/Capela

Aldridge will not be coming here. He will go to San Antonio, Dallas (if Dirk comes off bench and they make good moves) or Cleveland (if Love leaves). We can't hit a home-run each year like we've nearly done every year (Harden - Howard - Nearly Bosh). We finished with 56 wins, while missing major role players throughout the year and Howard for half of it. Morey said himself he wants to keep the core around. At this point, we have to rely on internal improvement. I can't say I've watched Llull play, but I'm optimistic he could be a key cog in balancing out our offense. Jerian Grant would be killer to have. We have three solid-to-great wing defenders (Ariza, McDaniels, Brewer) who'll spearhead our perimeter defense. I know it sounds crazy, but I think Motiejunas could be our third 'star'. He's got the height to guard other elite PFs, has a killer post-game, and is developing a three point stroke. His rebounding is a weakness, yes, but if he's playing alongside our big guys, we may be able to deal. Smoove is smoove. Take the good with the bad, but he's been a great player with us and he'd be a boon for cheap. Jones has played well in spurts, and maybe his injury hampered his ability. But after watching three playoff series where he's been lit up by opposing PFs, I don't believe he's the answer at the 4. Package him, K-Pap, and Johnson either for picks or an expiring vet. Capela has been solid in limited minutes and little PT; think how good he'll be after an off-season of working out and training? Scola and Terry are the resident grandpas who provide veteran experience and can step in at any time to keep the ball rolling.

At the end of the day, it'll come down to Harden and Howard to lead the way. Morey will keep an eye on Durant in 2016, but we should still be capable of competing for a title next season with Beard and Superman.

17. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

I think we should over react more.

1 person likes this.
  18. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

5 star thread, u made me smile

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

When did they move the roster limit to 20? Geez...

All we need is to upgrade PG with Lull, pick up a shooter at either wing spot and maybe upgrade the 4, at that point. Morey needs to get over his infatuation with athletic swingmen with length. McDaniels, Ariza, Brewer, Smith, and sometimes Jones, are redundant. We can't have all those streaky shooters, who can't drive well, on the roster.